PNY GE Force FX5200 128MB DDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PNY GE Force FX5200 128MB DDR

This video card has a cap that was pushed over and damaged. It was given to me this way. I pushed the cap back upright and the VGA video of the card works fine. Its the TV out circuit that the cap is located in. When I try to burn a DVD with this card installed the burner stops the operation because of this TV out failure. I also need this card to run Vista puke, and windows 7. I'd like to try and fix it. The board measures 0.060 thick, and the parts are lightly soldered in. The cap in question is a G-Luxon 1000uf 6.3v. The whole little board only has six caps on it so I think that I should replace them all. My question is, what watt iron should I use to attack this job with? I think that I would replace the two cap "one is known to be dammaged" in the TV out area of the board then test it to see if TV out is back online, then go ahead and replace the other four caps. How hard can it be...Right? One last question Ge Force FX 5200 is Nvidia, why is my card marked PNY Technologies when it shows up in "system" as Nvidia ???????
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: PNY GE Force FX5200 128MB DDR

Ge Force FX 5200 defines the Video -chip- on the card.
    PNY built the card using nVidia's chip.
    It's confusing because nVidia also build cards.

The best G-Luxon [specs wise] series I can think of is LZ.
    Panasonic FC are better grade, fairly cheap, and digikey stocks them.

A 40 watt iron should be enough.
    Make sure you get some solder braid to mop up the old solder.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

These caps are dark green with gold writting. As far as I can tell they say LZ on their sides along with a bunch of other crap.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

>When I try to burn a DVD with this card installed the burner stops the operation because of this TV out failure.

what do you mean?

what does dvd burning has to do with tv-out?

Comment

LZ 1000uF 6.3v come in
          8x11mm [580, .150] [Ripple, ESR]
          8x15mm [670, .080]
          8x20mm[800, .069]
          10x12.5mm, [690, .085]

But G-Luxon ESR specs are a stretch [over rated] like 'gutless wonder' PSUs.
          - And the FC specs aren't bogus.

FC 1000uF 6.3v
          10x12.5mm [755, .090]

FC 1000uF 10v
          8x20mm [995, .065]
          10x16mm [1050, .068]

I said FC because it's the minimum to replace LZ which is the best G-Luxon has [I think].

Digikey also has Nichicon PW [which usually match FC specs] and HE, KY, KZE, and FM which are all better than FC.

Of Digikey's normally stocked lytics in this range the grades go:
          [PW & FC] -> [HE & KY] -> KZE -> FM .. with FM the best they have.

If you need 8x[shorter than 20]mm then both HE and KY come in 8x15mm.
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 09-24-2009, 07:08 AM.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Well thank you PCBONEZ. Will have to study this and order up a few caps. Maybe Topcat or Will can sell me a few.
            Now i4004 I just don't know why the burn halts with the sick video card...Maybe its the burning software I use that halts the operation. I just don't remember right now. The Pc has an ATI card in it right now and its working. I don't want to power up the sick card again until I fix it. With Xp the ATI card is fine but its not good enough for windows 7. This is why I wish to take a stab at fixing this better card.
            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

then stab it!
              <wink>

Comment

Just sharpened my knife the other day. Don't want to ruin it on a video card just yet.
                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                X