Gateway FPD2485W Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2485W Issues

Hello everyone. I apologize if I should not make a new post for this, as many of the symptoms of my problem were the same as found in this thread

However, since the troubleshooting there moved past capacitor issue and into fuses, I figured I should start a new thread and inquire how exactly I should go about trying to fix it. I have not used this monitor for quite awhile now, since it has been out of commission, and didn't have the opportunity to try to fix it.

The symptoms pointed towards a likely cap issue:

At first, I had the issue when an input would be turned off, even if there was another active input, the monitor would get stuck trying to get input from the same place, and would then go into standby. When turned back on, it would try again instead of trying other inputs, and go into standby. This would repeat for an annoyingly long time, until it would finally choose the main input.

This continued, and the monitor became less and less responsive when switching inputs and turning on. The Gateway splash screen persisted over whatever was on screen after being turned on (logo and black box around it, the rest of the screen had the proper image).

Eventually, the monitor would simply not work. The soft menu buttons (which I've decided I really don't like very much) lit, but no image on the screen. I can't remember clearly, but I don't think there was an image at all (no backlight & no image). Obviously by then it was out of warranty, so I decided to crack it open and see what the issue might be. I looked around online and concluded that checking the capacitors was a pretty decent first step. Some of them don't look completely right, but I'm not entirely sure. I ordered a repair kit, although I'm not sure it came with everything that I need I've included some images, perhaps you guys can tell which don't look right better than myself. If I need to retake any of them, let me know, and I appreciate the assistance in advance!

-The last image is of the caps I already have. Ideally I wouldn't have to order more, but if I need more, let me know what / which I'd be looking for.

Re: Gateway FPD2485W Issues

The images seem to have gone missing along the way. Please use the Manage Attachments function in Post Reply to upload them here, do not include them inline with your post.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Images (Imgur link, had issues uploading)

Comment

Originally posted by Gstepnick View Post
        Hello everyone. I apologize if I should not make a new post for this, as many of the symptoms of my problem were the same as found in this thread
        Don't apologize! Some of us much prefer 1 thread per monitor. There's a Samsung thread with 274 frigging posts in it

Your photos aren't the best, but it looks like you definitely have some bloaters, even on the logic board.

I'll bet if you replace them (many will recommend, and I always do, replace all of the electrolytics, 'cept the big mains one) you'll be good as new.

One of the first monitors I did was a Gateway 2185, I recapped it, and it's been my main monitor for about a year now, still going strong. Best $7.00 monitor I've ever owned.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I've been messing around with a multimeter to figure out which ones are definitely bad, and have narrowed it down, although some of them are questionable. I was going to use the ones I bought if they were enough to fix those, although it only came with the ones pictured. I'd need more if I were going to replace all of them (which I might end up doing)

Comment

A multimeter won't measure caps... You need an ESR meter for that. Provided the monitor still turns on, a multimeter will however help you see whether voltages are fluctuating on a particular rail. Fluctuating voltages + bloated caps = i think you know already what needs to be done.

Please add your location in your profile so we can recommend a parts store in your area. If you're in the US you can support this site and buy from the badcaps.net online store.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Increased ESR can sometimes be found indirectly, some caps are also loosing capacity. It's not generally true, and you cannot count 100% on that, but is as good as it gets whithout ESR meter.
              Also, some high-end multimeters can measure AC and DC components at the same time. An AC component too high indicate bad filtering.

Comment

Do the physical dimensions of the replacements matter? There are a few that are taller than are available. Same specifications otherwise.

Comment

Gstepnick make sure you see my previous thread about this monitor. I was able to get it working by replacing all the visibly bad caps and 1 voltage regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Gstepnick View Post
                    Do the physical dimensions of the replacements matter? There are a few that are taller than are available. Same specifications otherwise.
                    The only significance of the dimensions is a matter of fit. If 10mm caps are touching one another, obviously a 12.5mm won't fit. If there is only enough room for caps less than 20mm high, a 25mm high cap won't do.

The usual recommendation is to replace ALL electrolytic caps with the exception of the large (typically 100 uF, 450 volt) one. In particular, some of the smaller electrolytic caps will fail without any obvious signs. Of course, if one ENJOYS taking their monitor apart to replace 2 or 3 caps every year...

If it hasn't already been noted, buying caps at Radio Shack is expensive, and (almost) a waste of time. They do not sell the ultra low ESR caps these power supplies require.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                    X