ACER 5535/5235 Motherboard Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACER 5535/5235 Motherboard Problem

Hi, I have an ACER Aspire 5535/5235 series laptop which switches on but no display. Suspecting that the ATI IGP chip needs reflowing on the motherboard (48.4K901.021) I disassembled and did that. Now, I'm not sure if I shorted with something during installation but now when I switch it on it does switch on just like before but with smoke coming off near the AMD CPU, looking into it I found that the smoke is coming from 3 pin transistor labelled A008 on it, and on board it is U61, it is partially fried by now.

I have two spare motherboards but of different brands, a HP dv6000 and HP CQ61/G61 for parts, I was about to find and replace it but I stopped after noticing that the labelling for similar looking transistors on board is labelled Qxx instead of Uxx, and I cannot find any datasheet for A008 in order to find a part similar to this to replace.

Kindly let me know if any similar transistor can be used from the spare boards I have, if that is not possible then kindly link me datasheet for transistor A008 so that I can try finding myself. I was able to find datasheet for the motherboard which I attached but couldn't understand much.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FShahid; 06-15-2014, 06:51 AM.

Re: ACER 5535/5235 Motherboard Problem

I can't help with your new problem but I too have a 5535 which switched on with no display. If you turn these models on and leave them on the black screen doing nothing for ten minutes, the GPU has heated up enough to turn back on and post with video when you turn it back on.

Not a fix obviously but great for diagnosing a faulty video chip! Has worked on a couple of acers I have now.

Comment

But right now I've a problem with the smoke coming off from U61 three-pin transistor which is why I don't want to leave it powered on any longer. Shall I solder it out? Will it still work? Thanks for your reply by the way.

EDIT: Here is the photo of the U61 (A008):
      Attached Files
      Last edited by FShahid; 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM. Reason: Added Photo

Comment

• bouchahma
        bouchahma commented
        Editing a comment
        hello, I have a board with exact same issie, the U61 mosfet is completly blown, in the schamatics it has this reference :APM2300AAC-TRLGP.

Did you manage to find a solution? ( 9 years memory )

The Uxx reference designator means it's an IC, not a transistor, unless they put the wrong silkscreen on.

The schematic doesn't show part U61, so maybe you have a different revision board? Give a photo of the whole board, and post the board model number, not the laptop model.

Could be you made a mistake during reflow.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

I am not sure what went wrong, it can't be due to reflowing as I thoroughly cleaned it afterwards. It still does power on but no display like before.
        Thanks for looking at it and replying. The schematic I provided could be of different variant of the board. Here are the photos of the motherboard:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by FShahid; 06-21-2014, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Interesting. I found another schematic, not the exact revision, but I think the correct model.

It shows U61 (Page 33) as an APM2300AAC-TRLGP MOSFET (Don't know why they used Uxx refdes since other transistors on the same page even say Qxx, wtf?)

The part number (A008) matches in the datasheet, so that's probably it anyway.

Looks like U61 supplies power to a bunch of things, maybe it just died, or maybe there's a short on that rail. Maybe the chip moved during reflow and you have shorted solder balls?
          Attached Files
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

same proble. no video. same reflow. and same U61 burn.
            Lol
            and yes, U61 have label A008
            Any sugestion ??

Comment

Reflow is useless, you probably shorted NB, do reball instead. Change U61 for similar mosfet and it should be working. Very often problem on these boards.

Comment

i have a lot of boards. Can you please indicate one compatible with A008?

Comment

it is power switch 1.8V s0 to s3

Comment

Working...
                  X