Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pioneer Plasma Pro 1120HD fixable or Not? 2 pictures shown

Originally posted by Boyd1966 View Post
    You know shelling out $110 or so bucks and some effort to get it fixed is still worth it if it can work like new. Hell I paid $8k 13 years ago....I want to squeeze every drop out of this plasma!
    I don't see why not. Hey you could shave 60 bucks if you did your own soldering.

Well perhaps not if you had to buy the iron and flux and whatnot...
    Last edited by heavymachines; 03-27-2017, 05:05 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Comment

The ribbon was the type that just pulled out.

Is the solder the kind that has the flux inside? Is it easy to do? What kind of iron do I need? I have one that has different tips. I have soldered before but with an acetylene torch for silver and gold. But I have never soldered electronics before.
      Last edited by Boyd1966; 03-28-2017, 05:00 AM.

Comment

This is the iron and solder I have. Is this good to use?
        Attached Files

Comment

Your soldering iron is a little low in wattage but should still do the job ok just add some fresh solder too the capacitor legs first as it then melts easier the only other tool you may need is a solder sucker or solder braid to remove the old solder if sticks in the pcb holes etc.
          That solder should be ok as long as it has flux included.

Comment

I am watching youtube videos on soldering capacitors. The solder they are using looks thinner.

Should I buy a solder sucker or a desoldering wire? Or do I even need to remove the old solder?
            Last edited by Boyd1966; 03-28-2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

solder comes in all diameters too be honest i just use what ever i have nearest me at the time.
              This video isnt too bad same de soldering tools i use too
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-nudUAGVo
              Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-28-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Well if u have a junk board you don't care about to practice on, can be anything that has caps, it is easy to do once u get the hang of it. However smd parts are tricky. But caps easy enough. You will need an iron , not open flame torch.

A wet sponge to keep tip clean on iron and shiny and some soldier blue/clear tube from autozone for 4 bucks will do fine it has flux core. In a pinch i have used flux for doing copper pipe soldiering before works fine for caps. Sometimes flux core in soldier is not enough. You can tell when soldier gets that dull look or don't want to flow is when you need added flux. Try different tips i use either the chisel type or the conical type.

There is tons and tons of youtube vids showing how to do this so take some time and watch some of em and give it a try on a junk board you don't care about. Once you feel confident and you're able to remove caps and reinstall it without damaging board then you're ready for the Ysus.

The goal is to try to get in and out fast as possible without transferring too much heat to pads/tracks or device if you lift a pad then too much heat was transferred you can improve this by either clean the tip with wet sponge on iron or re tin it and more flux. As they say practice makes perfect. Also sometimes dealing with old soldier it will need added fresh soldier to get it to flow like it should.
                Last edited by heavymachines; 03-28-2017, 06:26 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

I think I can do this. I will get some different solder though. I have a chisel tip.

I won't be soldering any smd parts.

Which way is best to remove the old solder?

Comment

I am watching youtube videos on soldering capacitors. The solder they are using looks thinner.

Should I buy a solder sucker or a desoldering wire? Or do I even need to remove the old solder?

Soldier wick or sucker will work... My soldier sucker keeps breaking so i been using wick instead does the job just fine...Youtube has vids how to use wick properly...

Comment

Also before i forget you must pay attention to the polarity of cap negative and positive and install correctly , all boards are marked so pay attention once the cap is removed there will be a negative marking on board.All polarized caps are marked as well with negative markings.. DO NOT install backwards or you will have a firecracker....

Comment

You read my mind. Thanks. Lets do this!

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                          Your soldering iron is a little low in wattage but should still do the job ok just add some fresh solder too the capacitor legs first as it then melts easier the only other tool you may need is a solder sucker or solder braid to remove the old solder if sticks in the pcb holes etc.
                          That solder should be ok as long as it has flux included.

Agree ..

Comment

Well I took out all the caps. The little ones were easy. The big ones were a bitch. Kinda wish I bought a solder sucker.

When the caps come in, how do I know which of the little caps go to which spot?

Comment

i always note down the pcb capactior designator number ie C453 then write down on paper the voltage and uf rating that way you dont get them mixed up
                              what was the board pcb numbers of the small ones you removed hopefully someone will have the same baord and can tell you which one went where.

Comment

Well I took out all the caps. The little ones were easy. The big ones were a bitch. Kinda wish I bought a solder sucker.

When the caps come in, how do I know which of the little caps go to which spot?
                                I always wait till new ones come then replace one at time in their spots so there is no mix ups. Good news is you did take photos so we can figure out what goes where. Like vinceroger69 says you can also write it down values and designators and so on so forth.
                                Last edited by heavymachines; 03-28-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                  i always note down the pcb capactior designator number ie C453 then write down on paper the voltage and uf rating that way you dont get them mixed up
                                  what was the board pcb numbers of the small ones you removed hopefully someone will have the same baord and can tell you which one went where.
                                  We have photos to go by so no biggie, he lucked out there. I will look at the photos and mark them with paintshop later.

Comment

Boyd if you would take a straight shot photo of your board with caps removed and i will figure out what went where and mark them with paint software and upload it back on here with markings.

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
                                      We have photos to go by so no biggie, he lucked out there. I will look at the photos and mark them with paintshop later.
                                      Thats lucky as sometimes its really hard too find schematics or good photos too go by.

Comment

Here you go.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Ok all labeled by type and polarity. You may need to zoom in to see but it's there.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X