Planar PL1700-BK - backlights go out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planar PL1700-BK - backlights go out

I have this monitor and when I hooked it up to a pc it was working then after XP loaded the backlight went out I could still see the image with a flashlight. I'm going to replace the caps first but I have a mixture of different caps.

Here are the caps on the power board now

4 x 470uf 25v lelon rxk
    2 x 1000uf 10v elite ej
    1 x 10uf 16v elite pf
    1 x 10uf 100v elite pf

what I have to replace them are

470uf 25v nichicon pw
    1000uf 10v panasonic fm or nichicon he

I have to buy the 10uf ones but digikey has fc's and pw's to replace those. My question is, is it ok to mix all these different caps?
    Attached Files

Re: Planar PL1700-BK - backlights go out

Originally posted by De3rcr View Post
    I have this monitor and when I hooked it up to a pc it was working then after XP loaded the backlight went out I could still see the image with a flashlight. I'm going to replace the caps first but I have a mixture of different caps.

Here are the caps on the power board now

4 x 470uf 25v lelon rxk
    2 x 1000uf 10v elite ej
    1 x 10uf 16v elite pf
    1 x 10uf 100v elite pf

what I have to replace them are

470uf 25v nichicon pw
    1000uf 10v panasonic fm or nichicon he

I have to buy the 10uf ones but digikey has fc's and pw's to replace those. My question is, is it ok to mix all these different caps?
    Yes. You notice the manufacturer did that. OK, that's probably going to give you any confidence. But the answer remains the same. In terms of life expectancy there is no difference between Nichicon and Panasonic as long as the caps are good enough for the application.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

OK, I'm going to order the 10uf from digikey and post back with what happens.

Comment

I have this monitor and when I hooked it up to a pc it was working then after XP loaded the backlight went out I could still see the image with a flashlight.
        Quick test. If you lower the brightness and constrast to 20/20 respectively, does the monitor stay on longer?

The reason I ask is that most "2 seconds to black" is 2 seconds or less to black. With yours, I know XP takes at least 1 minute to boot and am curious if lowering the settings help the monitor stay on longer?

Great photos. I'm jealous that I can see grass in the background. Here I just finished shoveling snow and it is piled about 2 feet on one side. Anyone still playing Beach Volleyball on Daytona Beach?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          Quick test. If you lower the brightness and constrast to 20/20 respectively, does the monitor stay on longer?

The reason I ask is that most "2 seconds to black" is 2 seconds or less to black. With yours, I know XP takes at least 1 minute to boot and am curious if lowering the settings help the monitor stay on longer?

Great photos. I'm jealous that I can see grass in the background. Here I just finished shoveling snow and it is piled about 2 feet on one side. Anyone still playing Beach Volleyball on Daytona Beach?
          I was able to lower the brightness and contrast and was able to get the room where I'm working darker, the backlights do seem to stay longer and they flicker(kinda like a pulse) the whole time until they shut off. they stay on about 2 min. And if I unplug it and let it sit awhile it does the same thing.

I ordered the 10uf caps and am going to replace all the caps.

I haven't seen anyone playing volleyball lately, but some people are still working on their tan.
          Last edited by De3rcr; 11-20-2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

OK, I replaced all the caps and now the backlights turn off in about 30 seconds.

I replaced the caps with

470uf 25v nichicon pw
            1000uf 10v nichicon he
            10uf 16v nichicon pw
            10uf 100v panasonic fc

Comment

OK, I replaced all the caps and now the backlights turn off in about 30 seconds.
              If you have a fan, trying cooling the power/inverter board and see if it stays on longer.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I was able to lower the brightness and contrast and was able to get the room where I'm working darker, the backlights do seem to stay longer and they flicker(kinda like a pulse) the whole time until they shut off. they stay on about 2 min. And if I unplug it and let it sit awhile it does the same thing.

I ordered the 10uf caps and am going to replace all the caps.

I haven't seen anyone playing volleyball lately, but some people are still working on their tan.
                I do not see where you tried substituted one or two good ccfls to see if the back lights will stay on.
                The flickering you mention makes me wonder if a ccfl may be causing your problem.
                Al.
                Last edited by alexanna; 11-27-2010, 08:11 PM.
                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                  I do not see where you tried substituted one or two good ccfls to see if the back lights will stay on.
                  The flickering you mention makes me wonder if a ccfl may be causing your problem.
                  Al.
                  Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts to check the ccfl's. I was hoping to maybe track it to the inverter. I'm trying to follow retiredcaps "2 secs to black" post, but I'm not sure I'm taking the right readings with the dmm.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts to check the ccfl's.
                    What about the cooling fan? Backlights on for 30 seconds seems more like thermal related to me.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What about the cooling fan? Backlights on for 30 seconds seems more like thermal related to me.
                      Tried cooling the board, that doesn't keep the lights on any longer. But if I unplug it then plug it back in the lights stay on for about 5 or 6 seconds.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts to check the ccfl's. I was hoping to maybe track it to the inverter. I'm trying to follow retiredcaps "2 secs to black" post, but I'm not sure I'm taking the right readings with the dmm.
                        Okay, list the readings that you are getting when measuring the inverter transformer T901. We will interpret them.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay, list the readings that you are getting when measuring the inverter transformer T901. We will interpret them.
                          OK, I used the white dot on the transformer as pin 1

1-2=open
                          1-3=open
                          1-4=open
                          1-5=.581
                          1-6=open
                          1-7=open
                          1-8=open

2-3=0
                          2-4=open
                          2-5=open
                          2-6=0
                          2-7=0
                          2-8=open

3-4=open
                          3-5=open
                          3-6=0
                          3-7=0
                          3-8=open

4-5=open
                          4-6=open
                          4-7=open
                          4-8=.581

5-6=open
                          5-7=open
                          5-8=open

6-7=0
                          6-8=open

7-8=open

hope this is what you needed
                          Last edited by De3rcr; 11-30-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

OK, I used the white dot on the transformer as pin 1

1-2=open 2-3=0 3-4=open 4-5=open 5-6=open 6-7=0
                            1-3=open 2-4=open 3-5=open 4-6=open 5-7=open 6-8=open
                            1-4=open 2-5=open 3-6=0 4-7=open 5-8=open
                            1-5=.581 2-6=0 3-7=0 4-8=.581
                            1-6=open 2-7=0 3-8=open
                            1-7=open 2-8=open
                            1-8=open

7-8=open

hope this is what you needed
                            What scale did you use on your multimeter?

The 1-5 and 4-8 reading of .581 suggest the secondaries are okay.

I have another test for you to try since you do not have another or spare ccfl. I'll post the instructions in a new post below.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

dmm set on 2k

Comment

dmm set on 2k
                                Okay, that explains the 0. Your multimeter is probably showing 0.x ohm, but the resolution says it is 0. If you remeasure the 0 ohm reading with a 200 ohm scale, it will probably show 0.x ohm.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

This section will probably make it into rev 0.3 of the guide, but right now for those without a spare or good ccfl, here it is.

=== snip ===

Pay ATTENTION as there is a VERY HIGH VOLTAGE (600V to 1000V)! As a safety precaution, it might help to have someone around when you are doing this if something screws up.

Alternatively, if you do not have a spare CCFL, try this test for a completely dead non working CCFL.

a) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                  b) disconnect all CCFLs expect #1
                                  c) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs
                                  d) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                  e) disconnect all CCFLs expect #2
                                  f) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs
                                  g) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                  h) disconnect all CCFLs expect #3
                                  i) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs
                                  j) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                  k) disconnect all CCFLs expect #4
                                  l) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs

If one of the CCFLs does not show "2 seconds to black", it is likely physically damaged (cracked) or the wiring is completely broken to it. Take out that CCFL and inspect it. If all 4 CCFLs do show "2 seconds to black", one or more can still be bad. This test only tests for a completely dead CCFL or completely broken wiring.

Replacing a CCFL is a delicate operation. See "Lamp Soldering Tutorial" at http://ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html to see what steps are involved.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The inverter controller chip is OZ960. Here is the datasheet.

We may need to take measurements later? Note the pins are very close to each other and caution is needed when measuring voltage as it easy to short something out.
                                    Attached Files
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BTW, the test results in post #17 is highly dependent on the inverter controller IC.

I haven't looked through OZ960, but having just one ccfl connected may not be a valid test.

Thanks to alexanna for pointing this out to me.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

This section will probably make it into rev 0.3 of the guide, but right now for those without a spare or good ccfl, here it is.

=== snip ===

Pay ATTENTION as there is a VERY HIGH VOLTAGE (600V to 1000V)! As a safety precaution, it might help to have someone around when you are doing this if something screws up.

Alternatively, if you do not have a spare CCFL, try this test for a completely dead non working CCFL.

a) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                        b) disconnect all CCFLs expect #1
                                        c) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs
                                        d) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                        e) disconnect all CCFLs expect #2
                                        f) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs
                                        g) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                        h) disconnect all CCFLs expect #3
                                        i) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs
                                        j) TURN POWER OFF and unplug the monitor and wait 1 minute
                                        k) disconnect all CCFLs expect #4
                                        l) plug in monitor and turn monitor on - note if "2 seconds to black" occurs

If one of the CCFLs does not show "2 seconds to black", it is likely physically damaged (cracked) or the wiring is completely broken to it. Take out that CCFL and inspect it. If all 4 CCFLs do show "2 seconds to black", one or more can still be bad. This test only tests for a completely dead CCFL or completely broken wiring.

Replacing a CCFL is a delicate operation. See "Lamp Soldering Tutorial" at http://ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html to see what steps are involved.
                                        OK,
                                        checked the backlights and if you look at my first pic the connectors on the far left and far right don't show any light, but the middle 2 give "2 secs to black" so I guessing I need to order some cclf's. But I can check that chip if needed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X