• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing lighbulb using multimeter

Hi Experts

I have got DIGITECH Cat: QM-1536 Multimeter bought around $80 from

http://www.jaycar.com/splash.html

Tried to test two types of bulbs to check if it is burned out or not ?

The first type Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL) similar to one in the link below :

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6019356_en..._-mercury.html

The second one typical incandescent bulb ( I guess it is called light bulb) the one similar in the link below :

http://www.ehow.com/how_7526571_test...ity-meter.html

When I did the test I followed the instruction in the links below :

http://www.ehow.com/how_5193668_chec...ight-bulb.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7526571_test...ity-meter.html

My digital multimeter wouldn't be able to read resistance nor continuity,,,,,I couldn't figure out where is the problem !!!!!

Thanks

Re: Testing lighbulb using multimeter

Why Bother? Just screw it into another fixture that you know is working. Then you will know if its good or not.

Comment

Can't measure a CFL lightbulb from outside.

There's electronic circuits inside it that generate an impulse of around 700v to start the whole process... so basically the two "terminals" you have access to from outside (the metal screw and the metal tip of the bulb) end up connected to some electronic parts and then other things inside may be broken or not.

The regular light bulb is basically a wire under inert gases ... when electricity passes through it it heats up until it becomes incandescent. If the wire is continuous the bulb is good, so set the meter on continuity and touch the terminals of the bulb.

From the picture I see on google, you have to set the meter on resistance (ohm) and then press a button to switch between modes (resitance, diode, continuity). When set on continuity the meter should beep if it has a beeper.

This is what's inside a CFL lamp, the red wires go to the outside terminals, all the way on the other side the tubes are connected to the small board:

The large green capacitors are often the reason why the lamps stop lightning up - no way to test those from outside the lamp.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zillah View Post
        The second one typical incandescent bulb ( I guess it is called light bulb) the one similar in the link below :

My digital multimeter wouldn't be able to read resistance nor continuity,,,,,I couldn't figure out where is the problem !!!!!
        You should get an ohms reading for the above bulb. A good bulb might read less than 25 ohms.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps
          You should get an ohms reading for the above bulb. A good bulb might read less than 25 ohms.
          I did but still I wasn't able to read ohms
          Last edited by zillah; 03-03-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Can't measure a CFL lightbulb from outside.
            Noted. Thanks for that

so set the meter on continuity and touch the terminals of the bulb.
            I did and it didn't work as well

Note: Just for my knowledge.
            You said terminal of the bulb do you mean the two terminals when we have a pin type lightbulb and I guess we should touch one probe from the multimeter to the very bottom center of the light bulb and touch the remaining probe from the multimeter to the side of the light bulb base if you we a screw type lightbulb

Read more: How to Test a Light Bulb's Continuity With a Meter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7526571_test...#ixzz1o7B4Q3Fx
            or you meant one terminal and
            Cheers
            Last edited by zillah; 03-03-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Why Bother? Just screw it into another fixture that you know is working. Then you will know if its good or not.
              Yes you are right this is an easy option but i tried to use technology and enjoy its benefit.
              Regards

Comment

1) Put your multimeter on ohms. Touch your two probes together. What reading do you get?

2) Take a known good bulb. Put one probe at the tip of the bulb. Put the other probe anywhere on the screw threads. What reading do you get?
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Put your multimeter on ohms. Touch your two probes together. What reading do you get?
                  the reading flips between many values from ohms to Kilo ohms to Mega ohms, is this what suppose to be ?

Take a known good bulb
                  Yes

Put one probe at the tip of the bulb. Put the other probe anywhere on the screw threads.
                  I did , reading is 0.L Mega Ohms,,,,,,,,,,,,,I used pin (Bayonet type is push-turn) light bulb not screw type

Thanks
                  Last edited by zillah; 03-03-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

the reading flips between many values from ohms to Kilo ohms to Mega ohms, is this what suppose to be ?
                    On a working multimeter, it should be around 0.3 ohms. Either your probes or bad or your multimeter is not functioning properly. Try reseating your probes into the multimeter.

As another test, try measuring a standard AA battery. A fresh ununsed battery should measure more than 1.5V DC.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On a working multimeter, it should be around 0.3 ohms. Either your probes or bad or your multimeter is not functioning properly. Try reseating your probes into the multimeter.
                      Reset multimeter fixed the issue now reading 0.3 and 0.4.

For known working lightbulb still it was reading 0.L Mega Ohms,,,,,,,,,,,,,I used pin (Bayonet type is push-turn) light bulb not screw type

Comment

Reset multimeter fixed the issue now reading 0.3 and 0.4.
                        I noticed that your multimeter has a reset button. I have never seen that function before on a multimeter.

0.3 to 0.4 ohms indicate good probes and that your multimeter is working properly.

For known working lightbulb still it was reading 0.L Mega Ohms,,,,,,,,,,,,,I used pin (Bayonet type is push-turn) light bulb not screw type
                        Sorry, I'm not familiar with that style of bulb. I have a few screw types and they all measure around 20 to 30 ohms.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that style of bulb. I have a few screw types and they all measure around 20 to 30 ohms.
                          Okay I am going to buy a one that you are familiar with it and let us see how it goes with reading.
                          Right now I don't have a car handy to drive to any place to get that, hopefully withing 3 hours I will reply you with the outcome.

Regards

Comment

Okay I am going to buy a one that you are familiar with it and let us see how it goes with reading.
                            Why buy a bulb that you don't need?

There are lots of things around the house that you can measure. If you have an old motherboard or any piece of old electronics gear, there are plenty of resistors to measure.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Multimeter tutorial at (less than 5 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BTW, if you are in Australia, your fellow Aussie, Dave Jones, has a video blog called eevblog.com where he talks about multimeters a LOT. He has shootouts, beginners guide to buying a multimeter, teardowns, etc. Well worth the time if you want to find out more about electronics.

http://www.eevblog.com/episodes/

I'm guessing Australia due to the Jaycar reference in post #1.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BTW, if you are in Australia
                                  Yes I am in Australia

I'm guessing Australia due to the Jaycar reference in post #1.
                                  By the way JayCar is USA and Canada and NZ and UK and AUS,,,,not only in Australia

Regards

Comment

By the way JayCar is USA and Canada and NZ and UK and AUS,,,,not only in Australia
                                    If I go to jaycar.com and click on Canada, it takes me to an .au site. In addition, if I go to stores there is nothing listed for Canada. Jaycar may have a website in Canadian pricing, but that is all I can see.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If I go to jaycar.com and click on Canada, it takes me to an .au site. In addition, if I go to stores there is nothing listed for Canada. Jaycar may have a website in Canadian pricing, but that is all I can see.
                                      Yes you are right.

Comment

Is your multimeter auto-ranging?
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X