Email backup without being able to boot the OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email backup without being able to boot the OS

How do I backup the Outlook Express email from an old Windows XP installation, without being able to boot it?

Windows developed some error that will not allow me to boot the OS. I tried the "repair" installation. That didn't work. No surprise there. There were no viruses found on the drive either.

I've since backed up the contents of the drive, formatted it, and reinstalled. I still have the contents on my test computer so I can restore their data, etc. It's just that all the OE backups I've done have been through Outlook Express in some form or another (safe mode).

I know about the data files, but I think there are some registry settings or some other crap that needs to be done. Oh and I need the address book too.

I'd look it up myself, but honestly I haven't got the time. When I do a search all I get is the MS instructions (backup through OE) or someone wanting to sell me a program to do it, which is also not going to work. If someone wants to help me out here it will be appreciated.
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Re: Email backup without being able to boot the OS

The accounts can be retrieved by sifting through the registry, don't think you can get the passwords though.
    The mail should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\<GUID>\Microsoft\Outlook Express\*.dbx the address book should be C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\*.wab

Do yourself a favour and migrate this person to Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

Tip, run Outlook Express first to generate the .dbx and .wab files, then just overwrite them with the ones from your backup. Should pick everything straight up.
    Last edited by seanc; 12-05-2010, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

I'd like to migrate them to Thunderbird, but somehow I doubt they'd go for it. People around here seem to be stubborn and set in their ways.

Comment

Don't ask them, just do it.
        If they're asking you to repair their PC and value your expertise, they'll listen when you tell them to use Thunderbird.

Comment

better idea- have them use imap instead of pop... that way, all you lose is sent mail... your inbox stays online.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yes, that's a good idea ratdude. Doesn't always save address books or calendars though.

Comment

I usually set it up to leave things on the server for a certain time, usually 30 days. Problem is I didn't set it up.

Comment

Working...
              X