a little slow screen draws on mainboard Bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little slow screen draws on mainboard Bios

I have problems on old GA-8IPE1000pro-g mainboard.
    Its boot up is a little slow(it take approximately 15~20 second to enter award Bios from beginning of "Memory runs at single channel. message.I changed Ide cable and dvd or harddrive but all is no vail.)
    and it won't runs at dual channel even though I have inserted two memory(512Mb PC2700 and PC3200) to same color memory slots.
    I found out that It also draw Bios screen a little slow(somewhat choppy) especially when I enter into(select) Frequency/Voltage control Bios option.
    it doesn't show up bios screen at one go like common mainboard.
    I add youtube link for more precise confirmation.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSM3wxxnj4I
    Is my mainboard clearly defective judging from these symptoms?
    and Is There no solution to get rid of this symptoms bugging me alot?
    Any replies would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bshi02; 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM.

Re: a little slow screen draws on mainboard Bios

BIOS looks OK to me. Even the new boards can be slow.
    Have you got hard disk delay enabled? Maybe it pauses for some time to allow for slow drives.

Comment

Thanks very much for your rapidness reply.
      I speculate any of mainboard bios has no delay in response time.I have never seen any mainboard before excepting that GA-8IPE1000pro-g board which has some delay enough to identify drawing text in Bios screen.
      I connect same device(dvd and SATA and IDE hard drive) which is used in that problemetic board to another mainboard(ga-EP31-ds3l) but There is no slowdown on POSTing ,it scan IDE device(hard and dvd drive) almost immediately.

I just located that there is trace of hand soldering five capacitors in this 8IPE1000pro-g board (these caps are near to CPU socket)although There is no bulged capacitor.
      I purchased That GA-8IPE1000pro-g second-hand and some caps seem to be recapped by Previous owner.
      Is there any possibility of slight delay in Posting and switching Bios screen triggered by capacitors beside the CPU socket?
      Last edited by bshi02; 11-13-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've seen this problem before years and years ago...

Clear the BIOS with the jumper. Also, look for a setting called "Clear ESCD" in the bios...

Latest BIOS for that board is F5. Get that:
        http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page.../download/bios
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I just have flashed F5 with Qflash utility but slight delay still remain.
          I just found that all of five replaced capacitors near Socket CPU is rubycon YXA(6.3v 3300uF). It is not Low esr caps, not suitable for mainboard.
          It seems that this general capacitor caused this slight delay in posting and bios screen..
          Should I recap these general capacitor with low esr?
          or Is it OK or would not do any harm to other ciritical IC component If I should keep using this mainboard for many years to come ignoring low esr capacitor absence?
          Last edited by bshi02; 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Yes. I see a total of 8 caps in the VRM. Replace them all with Nichicon HM (With new datecode only) or better. Can you post a picture of your board? You might also have to change some of the 8mm caps scattered around the board depending on what Gigabyte used in your particular board.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Here is picture of my board.

http://img20.*************/img20/3156/img0812sy.jpg
              http://img19.*************/img19/4969/img0817sp.jpg
              http://img651.*************/img651/5417/img0815pj.jpg
              http://img839.*************/img839/1870/img0833bl.jpg
              http://img203.*************/img203/643/img0810kq.jpg

The trace of slodering is not machine soldering.
              and it is general rubycon YXA capacitor.(6.3v 3300uf)
              neighboring capacitors is manufactured by Sanyo(although I can't identify more specification.)
              I found out more serious problem that When I keep turnning on PC for several hours it start to pause momentarily and very intermittently and any music from mp3,PC games or youtube site heard very noise when I plugin usb drive to usb port near to onboard-sound jack.
              I'm afraid that If I should recap these rubycon's yxa caps with low esr one It would not repair these symptoms.

Is it might be more wise for me to refund it rather than recap these caps which won't guarantee to repair and result in losing validity of refund?
              Last edited by bshi02; 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Other green VRM caps are Sanyo WG. Leave those, they're reliable.

Replace the Rubycon YXA caps with Nichicon HM.

The rest of the small 8mm caps on the board look like Nichicon. What is the series and what are the datecodes? The three caps above the memory slots, what are they?

There is a single 10mm cap in the corner of the board near the 1394 connector - it is a Chemi-Con KZG series. Replace that with Nichicon HM.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  The rest of the small 8mm caps on the board look like Nichicon. What is the series and what are the datecodes? The three caps above the memory slots, what are they?
                  They are Nichicon 6.3v 1000uf HM(M) capacitor(all of small 8mm caps are nichicon HM(M) )
                  And there is very small caps which is Teapo 10v 100uf(Dark ground-color + gray Lettering) ,it seems general capacitor.
                  But I I really have doubts about whether to recap low grade capacitors with higher one would really mend symptoms I have mentioned .
                  Last edited by bshi02; 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I have a Tyan SL2720, IIRC, and it also takes a ridiculously LONG time to get into the BIOS. Gonna have to look for this setting. It's a server board and has tons of settings I have never heard of.
                    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

What is the datecode on the Nichicon HM? If they are before 2005, they will need to be replaced as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                        What is the datecode on the Nichicon HM? If they are before 2005, they will need to be replaced as well.
                        I look closely at some(more than five) Nichicon capacitors surface it is written in A0350 or A0418.
                        Should I replace all of these HM capacitors(it consists of ten)?

Comment

Have you tried:

1. Ctrl+F1 to show all BIOS settings, then check/review them ?

2. Load Optimized Defaults ?

3. Load Fail-Safe Defaults ?
                          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by bshi02 View Post
                            I look closely at some(more than five) Nichicon capacitors surface it is written in A0350 or A0418.
                            Should I replace all of these HM capacitors(it consists of ten)?
                            Yes. Replace all of them. I just did an HP 945P board today. VRM was only 5 caps, but had to change all the 8mm 820uF KZG caps scattered throughout the board. Used Nichicon HM 6.3V 1000uF. A little taller than the 820, but I don't think it will cause any problems. All in all, it was a total of 20 caps. Well worth the effort afterwards, as the system is now completely stable.

Comment

Working...
                            X