Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solder Joints

What makes solder joints go cold?
    I have been working on a Dell E207 WFPc and since Inverter Transformer Joints seem to give so much trouble I decided to reflow them. On 3 of the joints just as soon as they cooled they went cold joint on me. So I removed all the solder from all of the pins and resoldered them. The same 3 pins went cold again. I think I am getting the joints hot enough on the pad and the pin. Any ideas.
    Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Re: Solder Joints

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
    I have been working on a Dell E207 WFPc and since Inverter Transformer Joints seem to give so much trouble I decided to reflow them. On 3 of the joints just as soon as they cooled they went cold joint on me. So I removed all the solder from all of the pins and resoldered them. The same 3 pins went cold again. I think I am getting the joints hot enough on the pad and the pin. Any ideas.
    The usual cause is the board or the pin was not heated hot enough and the solder cooled too quickly. Any movement as it is cooling will cause problems. Lead free solder is also a factor.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I like this youtube video on how to solder. It talks about technique and cold solder joints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Another thought is that lead-free solder looks kind of dull compared to leaded.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Thanks guys. I am using 63/37 solder and basically I'm doing everything talked about in the referenced video. If it was all the joints I would be inclined to believe it was my technique. Since it is only 3 joints out of 6 or 7 it made me wonder if there was something else wrong.

Thanks to whoever put the little beer Smillie in the group to the right. I have been trying to figure out how to accomplish that.

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Too low of a wattage soldering iron can cause bad joints. Joints with high thermal capacity (larger traces like ground planes for example) will act as a huge heatsink cooling the tip of the iron.

This will prevent the pad from reaching the proper temperature to get a good joint but can be enough to melt the solder.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Any chance of a picture and what type of tip and what tempr is your iron at.

Comment

Yes, I will have to post it tomorrow. The tip is a chisel a little smaller than the pads. The temp. is 700 deg. Have not had this trouble before. Usually if it happens it is when I am adding solder. If it happens I can usually suck up the solder and put new down and that takes care of the problem, but like I said it did not help this time.

Comment

700 degrees? That's 370c ... kind of A LOT. But usually people with temperature controlled stations set them to 300-350c as the tip generally has lower temperature than the rest and when touching what you want to solder it cools down a bit.

The 63/37 is a bit different than the regular 60/40 or the solder free kind, in the sense that it's euctetic, it turns liquid within a very small range of temperature (usually exactly 183C). It also turns solid much faster.
                  In comparison the 60/40 stays liquid at around 188c/370f and the lead free kinds at ~ 217c.. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder#Lead_solder

Maybe you're just lifting the gun when the solder is already turning solid, therefore disturbing it?

Comment

Lack of flux makes a joint cold because the soldering never happens. Flux is required for clean and shiny joints and the flux in the solder may not be at the right place at the right time.
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

If you're using a good multicore rosin flux like Kester and not some no name Chinese crap flux shouldn't be the issue and it should be right where you need it.

I keep the temperature of my iron at 350C that's 662F.

Do you routinely clean your tip with a brass shaving cleaner, wet sponge, or a tip tinner? Oxidation on the tip from burning flux will erode the iron plating and cause heat transfer issues.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Pictures of Iron. Could not get clear picture of tip. It is a small chisel tip. Sorry picture must have been too big I will try to resize it and repost.
                        Last edited by killian6pk; 11-11-2011, 06:02 PM. Reason: Error

Comment

Try it again.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I will reduce my temp to 660 -670 and try that. The solder is good. I am using a both a sponge and the brass shavings. The tips that go with this station are pre-tinned tips. However they still oxidize some. I wonder if this board used lead free and I am adding leaded back and that could be the problem. Although it is still only on some pins and not on all that I am having this trouble. I tried cleaning the pad with solder wick after using the solder sucker and that seemed to help some.

Comment

If a joint is cracked wick away the lead free and reflow with leaded you don't want to mix solder types.

If the equipment you're working on was manufactured post ROHS it's probably lead free.
                              Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

One point that bears mentioning. The leads of many components (capacitors for one) are coated iron. If the coating has failed, you could be trying to solder to iron, which is difficult.

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try until I get it done.

Comment

Working...
                                  X