Wow, those caps sure took a pounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, those caps sure took a pounding

I found this video splitter near the skip at my college, I walk past it every day and there's usually a piece of broken electronics there every week.

On first look, the case is very, very bent up - like something heavy was placed on it, or it was stepped on. Not sure what the fault is. It takes AC (for generating +5V and -5V) but I gave it DC and the power LED came on fine. Apart from that I've done no other testing.

What's amazing is the big 2200u 25V cap is quite squashed, but still measures 2300uF 0.01 ohms. However, I think I found the fault; one of the smaller 220u caps is squashed near the base and shows as shorted, for the negative rail. If this is the case then this would stop it working. I wonder if it was thrown out because of this, or if there's another fault. Amazingly, every other capacitor shows readings well within tolerance.

I'll replace the caps and see if it works. Need to find a 9Vac adapter but I suspect it will be fine with a 12Vac adapter, caps are rated 25V so they should only see around 16V with 12Vac in. The regulators may get hotter, only the +5V has a heatsink.

It is very common to see electronics/computer hardware at my college abused by students. A common "trick" in the electronics lab is to short the +15V and -15V supplies we have (dual rail) together, which blows the linear regulators.

Thumbs up to Jackcon for making rugged capacitors that can almost survive crushing!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tom66; 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Wow, those caps sure took a pounding

I have a Lelon cap that is smashed like that. The can is split on the bottom edge, but it isn't leaking and still tests good. It came from Radio Shack and was already smashed when it was taken out of the original packaging. It is currently installed in some crappy computer speakers.

I'm surprised that those caps are still good. Jackcon caps are usually bad when they are found in a used electronic device.

Comment

It's a pretty low stress environment for those caps, I'm not expecting japcaps on something like this, but it doesn't really need them anyway. I've pulled failed Jackcons from some power-line ethernet adapters so I know their "low-ESR" claims are crap.

I'm waiting for some tools to arrive before I replace the caps. I'll replace the 220u 25V with Panny FC, but not for low ESR, I just have them left over after a monitor repair. The big caps (2200u 25V and 1000u 25V) I'll probably stick them on the Farnell order after I get the Pioneer plasma.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Okay the "recap" is complete.

The little Jackcons were replaced with Panasonic FM... just because I had them lying around. I kind of surface mounted them because the board holes weren't big enough for the FM leads.

I also added a heatsink to the 7905. The tab got a bit bent, I don't think this will hurt it.

The big 2200u 25V was replaced with a "Forever-C" capacitor, nothing special, a general purpose cap and in the application it is used in, it is fine.

The remaining 1000u 25V was not replaced as it was not deformed.

Will need to find a 9-12Vac adapter...

The case is really, really beat up. I am going to have to figure out how to smooth it out.
        Attached Files

Comment

I've seen some Panasonic FL caps take similar abuse. Still tested fine capacitance and ESR-wise. You really have to squish them a lot for them to die.
          I also have some heat-abused and heavily bulging Fujitsu FPCAPs (those yellow ones with vents) - tested fine on the ESR meter as well. After pushing the bulging vents down, I'd say they look almost like new .

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          I also added a heatsink to the 7905. The tab got a bit bent, I don't think this will hurt it.
          You might have gotten lucky. Most of the time, transistors and regulators like that will crack if you try to bend the tab.

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          The big 2200u 25V was replaced with a "Forever-C" capacitor
          You mean Forever-Crap
          Sorry, I just couldn't resist that name joke.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            You mean Forever-Crap
            Sorry, I just couldn't resist that name joke.
            At least they don't even attempt to make low-ESR caps - their business is cheap general purpose 85°C caps. They are fine for low current filtering.*Above >200mA consumption, I wouldn't consider them suitable.

Comment

Working...
            X