Weird Bios issue: Supermicro X5DAL-TG2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Bios issue: Supermicro X5DAL-TG2

Question: I've had a Supermicro X5DAL-TG2 for a while but there is a peculiar issue it's been having.

Every time I kill power to the mainboard, all the Bios settings are restored to defaults. The time doesn't stop or get reset, so I don't think it's the Cmos Battery (I checked it anyway, its good).

Its a pita for a couple reasons. First, every time it happens it re-scans all 2gb of RAM. This is a very slow process to say the least. In addition, there are some stupid defaults, like hyperthreading being turned off. I also expand the AGP aperture and manually define my IDE opticals (otherwise it takes a long time to POST).

Is there a known fix for that or should I just get used to reconfiguring my bios a lot
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Weird Bios issue: Supermicro X5DAL-TG2

I'd first check to see if there's an update on SM's site. If its the latest (and if its my old board it probably is), then replace the CMOS batt....even if it checks good on a VOM, change it anyway. If the problem still persists, I really don't know. Never had a SM do that. Had a Tyan do that to me once, and never did figure that one out. I'm assuming you've already done a full CMOS dump and reset on the board.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

its up to date iirc. It was your old board.

i think the batt is a good one.
      sigpic

Comment

Only right way to test a battery out is by putting load on it. Give swapping it out a try anyways.

Comment

^
          Agreed. Seen that fool more than a few...thats why I said change it anyway. That board is circa 2003 or so, with the original batt....it is 8+ years old...
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I think I swapped it when I first got it. Not sure if I used a new one though.

But if the batt was bad, why would the bios clock still work without power? The system was offline and not plugged in for a month or so and upon powering it back up, the reported time was still accurate.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X