IMac G5 20" Logic Board, HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMac G5 20" Logic Board, HELP!!

Hi all, i have just purchased a sold as faulty, IMac G5 20". It will not boot, but is getting getting power from the PSU because the first LED is lit, when i press the internal power button the second LED lights up momentary and the fans spin for a fraction of a second, then nothing. Now the seller stated it was working then started acting strange, so he opened it up and it had bad caps, so he replaced them, but his soldering skill where not so good, and it didn't help. I will replace the caps again, but i am worried about something i see on the rear side of the board. It looks to me like maybe he somehow he got a little piece of solder bridging across the board (see in pics) and maybe that could be causing the board to short out on boot.

Please can someone look at the pics and tell me if this is normal or its what a stated.

Thanks in advance

http://*************/photo/my-images...369371273.jpg/
    http://*************/photo/my-images...169541273.jpg/

Re: IMac G5 20" Logic Board, HELP!!

Unfortunately, your picture is not clear enough to say one way or the other.

Without the 2nd light coming on, I'd suspect the PSU before the motherboard. You need 2 on before it will run.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Sorry about the bad picture quality, im suspecting bad caps again maybe, but im no expert. Is there any other way i can test the psu? It also makes a split second sound when the power button is pressed, its a like an electrical spike, best way i can describe it

Comment

If it doesn't reach "chime" stage, It's most likely the PSU. No other way to test it than to pull it and have a look inside. Just looking thru the mobo side of its vents usually shows a few "domed" caps.
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Ahh ok i will do that

Comment

All caps look ok inside the PSU, im not sure what to do now

Comment

Find one of the threads in here with the pinout of the PSU and check for standby 5v and 24v.

What model number is the PSU. API#
              veritas odium parit

Comment

The model number is API4PC46

Comment

Working...
                X