Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Pro 13' model A1278

Hello!

I bought this machine for me a few months ago with gpu problem.

I reflowed it, it solved the issue for maybe 4 months with daily usage.
    The issue came back, I reflowed again because I wasn't still confident to reball it.
    The problem was back maybe a week later, and so I prepared thing to reball the chip.
    It wasnt easy to replace the BGA on the pads, because there are no lines to guide us, but it went well, because the machine worked fine after that.

Now, I thought the reballing went well and I could be confident that the machine will run well for a year or more, I dunno really, but expected something like that.
    I didn't used it much after reballing, maybe 10h max, in 2 weeks, and I tried to turn it on a few minutes ago, and no good.
    The problem came back again.

Should I assume my reballing wasn't 100% good?
    Or do I need to buy a new BGA chip, and the problem is now with the chip itself and not the connections?
    Gonna confirm when opening again the laptop, but it's a mcp89mz-Ax nvidia chip.

Don't have much background to know how to approach the problem now.
    What should be the best approach when getting this reincidence?
    Thanks for any inputs!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by magneh; 11-30-2014, 06:44 PM.

Re: Mac Pro 13' model A1278

Even if your reballing is perfect, sometimes the chipset itself goes off. I always now change them to be sure for the result.

Comment

Originally posted by lefos View Post
      Even if your reballing is perfect, sometimes the chipset itself goes off. I always now change them to be sure for the result.
      Hello!

Thanks for your sharing.
      Gonna order the new BGA chip.

Thanks!

Comment

i had a same board with display on external, but not in internal, so reballed chip nvidia like you but pc wont start annymore (maybe without lines on each side i soldered it bad , or put too much flux, or chip went bad) and now im taking a new chip, but cant find a new chip properly so im buying a refurbished one :S

hope when it comes that it will work well

if i looked ok, new chip is about 30 euros, while the refurbished im going to buy is 1/3 of the price. and new chip is also a 2008 version

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
          i had a same board with display on external, but not in internal, so reballed chip nvidia like you but pc wont start annymore (maybe without lines on each side i soldered it bad , or put too much flux, or chip went bad) and now im taking a new chip, but cant find a new chip properly so im buying a refurbished one :S

hope when it comes that it will work well

if i looked ok, new chip is about 30 euros, while the refurbished im going to buy is 1/3 of the price. and new chip is also a 2008 version
          Hello!

Well I've been looking for some prices and I think I'll order also 2 refurbished ones...
          If everything goes well, it will solve the issue with my Mac Pro , and I will keep the other one just in case

Good Luck!

Comment

Hello!

Some time without update, I got the new BGA chip, bought a new one so I can sell this equipment with confidence.

Just to remember, the laptop had the same symptom when I first got it and reflow solved issue. Then problem came back, reballed and went ok.
            1 week later or so , same problem, turns on and no image nor chime.

Lifted old Nvidia chip. no probem.
            Placed new one, also no problem.
            Assembled it , and when I press power button, fan turns just a little and seems to brake right after, and laptop doesnt turn on.

Removed board again, and gave a reflow on the CPU, I thought that the heat could have caused an issue with CPU solder balls.

Made the reflow , and when I removed it from the BGA machine, I noticed that the CPU die has a corner slighly broken!

Starting to be mad with this board!
            How didnt I seen it before? It had to happen between the lifting of old Nvidia chip and the CPU reflow. Still dont know I did it, but I did!

Now, the thing is that I bought a new BGA, and I still have a non working board, with a different syptom.

What's the right approach to this mess? New CPU?
            Is him the responsible of this new issue, not turning on, and just have that slight movement of the fan when I press ON?

Jeez, sorry for the long description, but I had to.

Thanks all!
            Attached Files

Comment

dont think that little damage to die is the responsible for malfunction.

have had a mxm card with visible damaged corner and works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                dont think that little damage to die is the responsible for malfunction.

have had a mxm card with visible damaged corner and works very well.
                Thanks for the input!

Ok then, is the almost instant shut down when I press Power Button due to new Nvidia BGA?

WHat do you think of this issue?
                It appeared right after aplying new BGA...
                THanks!

Comment

i had same board and same sinthoms. picture only on external. reballed chip and it power on then off immediately. now have to order a new chip, but they were out of stock to the supplier i did a order on, so need to wait to get it elsewhere, but as u can see i had the power on then shut down after reball chip.

try a smc reset and pram reset and see it it works.

Comment

Working...
                  X