a random toner box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a random toner box...

the way it is configured now, the intake blows onto the cpu fan which is flows the same direction. from there, the cpu fan blows towards the PSU intake vents and the hdd vents.

it already is pretty quiet... not silent, but for my standards, quiet enough. the original intake would have needed an undervolt... but i upped the intake size and went with a ball bearing yate loon pulled from an old, dead fortron. much quieter, might add.
    the hdd is not that noisy... newer style wd.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

recapped... running fine so far... no good for the video part of youtube, but the audio is fine. need to get that 1.4ghz pIII...
      sigpic

Comment

Ooh, those ones are hard to get.

Comment

i fried it.

it ran for 10 min until i bumped it. went dead. i discovered that that i missed a joint (forgot to solder and i forgot to clip 2 leads. there were burn marks on the cpu... i tried a different cpu, psu, ram, all of those together, and no dice. fried. all it does is spin fans and beep a lot. probably took out the northbridge.

bummer... it was my only board that size, so it is dead for now... why do i make such mistakes?
          sigpic

Comment

So you can learn from them ?

Check components on a working board then check this board for proper operating voltages, resolder the cap anyway.

Comment

If it beeps it means it is still alive. Don't worry, I've made worse mistakes and board still lived
              They are quite tough

Comment

i did fix the issues. i trimmed the leads, resoldered the cap, i tried everything that could be tried. nothing on the board looks visibly bad. im thinking the northbridge got hit.

besides, i read the lomita boards were crappy anyway... all the parts in it were free to me, so it wasn't like i had much invested in it.

now what to do with the tiny psu... it is pretty solid from what a visual inspection cpuld tell me... 200w hipro.

i also have an even smaller 180w hipro... i will have to do something cool with it.
                sigpic

Comment

Check operating voltages. If anything is burned it means it lasted long enough to burn itself.

Comment

usually if it somehting fixable is burned, there is discoloration, etc. i think the northbridge got killed... not worth the effort...
                    sigpic

Comment

i might have found the issue

numbnutz here soldered a cap in backwards... fixing it now...

for a badcaps veteran with a few recaps under his belt, this is embarrassing...

edit- no luck. the northbridge was getting warm... RIP mobo.
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hahaha. Imagine doing that in front of an audience (like I did), electrolyte spewing everywhere !

Had to pull the cap off with pliers as it was so hot !

Comment

the cap was not bloated nor was it hot, but repalced ti anyway, putting it in the correct direction.

normally i am better than this. i have a PIII cumine compaq that was my first recap using decent tools (and my first successful recap as well) which runs great. my fileserver downstairs is recapped (posting from it right now). the power supply in my main rig is a recapped and rewired ultra V 550W (might be replaced with the imfamous acbel 550w)
                          sigpic

Comment

Checked voltages ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
                              Hahaha. Imagine doing that in front of an audience (like I did), electrolyte spewing everywhere !

Had to pull the cap off with pliers as it was so hot !
                              At least you didn't have 2 panasonic 470uf caps grenade in your face, 40 feet up, in a lift. RIP Daktronics (craptronics) message board. That was a nasty mess and I think I still smell it, two years later......
                              Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

I remember seeing in an electronics shop a PC without a case (assembled and in use for the store, of course!)
                                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
                                  Checked voltages ?
                                  no... i have more pressing things to do...
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                                    I remember seeing in an electronics shop a PC without a case (assembled and in use for the store, of course!)
                                    Seen similar.
                                    Everything was held down on a piece of plywood with sheet rock screws and/or plumbers tape.
                                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

Working...
                                    X