apple computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apple computer

thinking of getting an apple computer which is the best?

Re: apple computer

The more you spend, the faster it goes......kind of like a race car. Buy any computer (even a Mac) on that logic, and you'll be golden.....
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

depends on what you want to do with it. a little bit of info on your budget, needs, wants, blood type (kidding), etc. would help a lot.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
        The more you spend, the faster it goes......kind of like a race car. Buy any computer (even a Mac) on that logic, and you'll be golden.....
        not unless you were buy a mac before intel came in... then you were spending more but only getting a slower machine with a cute piece of fruit for a logo.
        sigpic

Comment

but i liked the ppc macs! now they're the same POS.

Comment

look for a used twin G5 tower, but i dont think the price ever came down!

Comment

If you want to buy a Mac and do anything remotely useful with it, I wouldn't touch PPC.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc
                If you want to do anything remotely useful, I wouldn't touch a Mac.
                fixed it.

jk, but for audio production g4/g5 macs came with better fw chipsets and audio chipsets than the craptel macs.

Comment

Lol cheers.

If you have older software/hardware that would run acceptably on PPC, then you may be OK with one, but in terms of being able to use the latest software, 10.5.8 is at the moment the last release for PPC, Intel is on 10.6.4.

Comment

if it isnt PPC then it isnt a mac, it's an overprice pc running a BSD derivative o.s.

just use this instead.
                    http://www.pcbsd.org/
                    http://www.freebsd.org/

Comment

Feel free to build a Hackintosh.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc
                        Lol cheers.

If you have older software/hardware that would run acceptably on PPC, then you may be OK with one, but in terms of being able to use the latest software, 10.5.8 is at the moment the last release for PPC, Intel is on 10.6.4.
                        newer isn't always better though. numerous problems with Adobe CS, Cubase, and other multimedia software on Snow Leopard. And what's up with not defaulting into 64-bit kernel?

oops, did not mean to bring this off topic OP. sorry.

Comment

why does he need a mac?
                          sigpic

Comment

well he said he wanted a mac...

Comment

he might be misguided... if all he knows is the alf-trash they put inthe get a mac ads, then he might want to review the facts again. not to say macs are bad, i just think most who buy them do not know what they are and are not getting or if a mac will really do for them what they are thinking it will do.

i own a sawtooth g4, and with os 10.4 it isn't bad... i would not pay full price for a mac... but it was not bad.
                              sigpic

Comment

maybe he just wants to dump windowz and doesnt know about Linux,BSD,Solaris etc.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                                  maybe he just wants to dump windowz and doesnt know about Linux,BSD,Solaris etc.
                                  what i meant about only knowing as much as the get a mac ads...
                                  sigpic

Comment

FCP is the only reason for mac. You can pretty much buy a similar board to what they have and roll your own. If I can get osX on my amd, a compatible pc would work flawlessly. Build yourself a mac pro for like 1/2 the price.

All of the audio,3d and compositing tools are for windows or linux anyway.

PPC is fun but at this stage useless. Those G5 mac pros are still a ripoff.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                                      All of the audio,3d and compositing tools are for windows or linux anyway.
                                      I dunno man, a lot of people in those industries still swear by mac. i never really liked macs though, so I use cubase and nuendo on windows. adobe cs is a bit retarded running on windows sometimes, though i suspect that's more adobe's fault. but whatever floats people's boats, apogee stopped supplying windows drivers so that wasn't cool, but i liked echo more anyway.

linux sucks for all three except for blender and latex, unless you count rendering. actual drawing, i dunno any programs for linux, but i havent used ubuntu or any of the popular distros/repos in a while. always arch linux for me.

Comment

The OP saying that he's thinking of getting a mac is a good suggestion he probably doesn't need one. Mac was useful a while ago, it has some strengths in sound and graphics. Otherwise its the biggest piece of shit made on slave labour and is overpriced and doesn't last long. I have IBM laptops from 1999 still working. Macs from 2007 are already in the dumpster. The old stuff was good, anything after 2002 was a fail. Apple has a stronghold on the parts and after 2-3 years they announce that they want nothing to do with repair or replace. I know many people that bought apple laptops for $1500 and one year later they had to put $800 in it and one year after that it was dead and worthless.

Trust me if you have no specific use for one I would stay away. A while ago when mac was coming back it was "cool" to own one but now that justin long is out so is apple. Some hardcore mac freaks will disagree but generally those are the fools that buy apple anyway. If you wanna just dick around with it pick up a $100 G4 tower.

Comment

Working...
                                        X