Capacitance Measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitance Measurements

I recently just bought the peak atlas ESR70 meter.

When a capacitor starts to go bad, does the capacitance usually measure higher than the specs? I measured a variety of capacitors and all measure usually a bit under the spec.
    However some I actually measured higher than the spec. would that mean its beginning to be bad?
    I measured a budging 470uf and got an esr reading of 0.3 ohms but a capacitance reading of 680uf.

Usually when a capacitor goes bad the ESR increases greatly.

Also when would it be considered a bad capacitor, like what percent would the capacitance be off from relative to the factory specs?

Re: Capacitance Measurements

capacitance will usually go higher,normally the measurement should be +-20%,make sure also you use the probe compensation to make sure its calibrated on the esr70.

0.3 esr is a good value for that cap,but still the cap could be out of tolerance.

i have this meter and has never let me down.
    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Working...
    X