Need to find a place to buy type of cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to find a place to buy type of cap

It is a KZG 6.3V 3300UF (m)105c 6(7) 2R. It is brown and has a grey stripe on the one side. It is from a motherboard. The end is pushed up and is shot. I am pretty sure that is is 10 mm around and is between 23 - 25 mm long. The power supply blew and I think thats what did it. Any help would be appreciated. And a link would be nice to the buying page.

Re: Need to find a place to buy type of cap

These will work. https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=30

Comment

Thanks, each time one of our computers bust, I always learn something new.

Comment

So will these:
        https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=58
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

What is the difference, if any?

Comment

The Rubycon I linked are 3230 ripple and .009 esr
            The Samxon are 2800 ripple and .012 esr

the Rubycon are a higher grade than the Samxon and a higher grade than what you had. The Samxon are the same grade as what you had.

Comment

I have had good luck using Samxon GC instead of GD (In other words, you can probably safely decrease the ESR in exchange for a longer life cap), so go ahead with the MCZ if you're willing to spend a little more money.

By the way, you're probably wasting your time if you're just going to replace that single cap. That entire series KZG is defective, and any cap with a "KZG" marking should be replaced on that board. If you can post a pic of the board, we can help you better.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I will post a pic then. Just keep in mind that I am a noob and want to replace as little caps as possible to avoid making a mistake. I am going to practice on a junk motherboard. There are two other caps of the same type that look ok. The computer is my dads old work computer, he left it on a lot to use a remote PC program, it stopped working. he brought it home and turned on the power supply and it popped and smoked. I think it dosn't turn on now because the cap that is bad is next to the CPU. As I said I will post a pic later today if I can.

Comment

For reference:
                  The KZG 3300uF 6.3v id rated for 2800 mA Ripple and 0.012 ohms ESR/
                  -
                  Any 'good brand' 3300uF with 6.3v [or more v] with 2800 mA [or more] Ripple and 0.012 ohms [or less] ESR is fine.
                  Attached data sheet in case you have other sizes of KZG to deal with.
                  Attached Files
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by amanoob View Post
                    I will post a pic then. Just keep in mind that I am a noob and want to replace as little caps as possible to avoid making a mistake. I am going to practice on a junk motherboard. There are two other caps of the same type that look ok. The computer is my dads old work computer, he left it on a lot to use a remote PC program, it stopped working. he brought it home and turned on the power supply and it popped and smoked. I think it dosn't turn on now because the cap that is bad is next to the CPU. As I said I will post a pic later today if I can.
                    Not replacing all the KZG would be a mistake.
                    If one is gone the others aren't far behind and they also have a habit of failing without bloating so if you don't replace them all you could end up with a 'stealth' bad cap.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by amanoob View Post
                      I hope the PSU didn't kill the motherboard. One thing is for sure, even if you do recap this board, you'll obviously need a new power supply.

Like PCBONEZ says, replace all KZG on the motherboard. They often fail without showing any signs.

Comment

Ok, here are the pics of the mother board. Yes, I do have a different power supply. That how I found out I had a bad cap, the mother board wouldn't power up.
                        I found out that I know someone who knows someone that has a whole bunch of extra caps, so I am going to see if if he has one that will work.
                        I have been practicing on a old mother board and I am having trouble clearing the holes, I have been using a pin, the solder keeps hardening too fast.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wouldn't power up or wouldn't POST?

Comment

It wouldn't power up. A green LED on the mobo would light up, thats it.

Comment

Changing the caps won't help you.

Comment

Wouldn't a blown cap next to the cpu affect the power up?

Comment

Even when the caps are defective, the fans should still spin, the system should still turn on, it just doesn't post. If nothing comes on at all (Except for the light), then it means something else was blown.

Comment

It's still possible new caps could fix it but much less likely.

Your symptoms suggest a blown chipset which is a common result of a PSU gone bad.
                                    Sometimes blown caps will keep the chipset from running which 'looks' the same as a blown chipset so you might get lucky.
                                    Also the missing cap in your photo might be a chipset cap.
                                    Can't tell without tracing circuits.

Thing is with no fan spin -and- a history of a bad PSU the odds of a recap fixing it are pretty low.

- Just saying don't be surprised or disappointed if new caps don't fix it.

You need to replace -ALL- of the KZG though.
                                    They go bad without bloating and you have several in the RAM power and a few other places.

Also as this is an Intel made board so check the small 4 & 5 mm caps.
                                    Intel has a bad habit of using 85C temp rated caps for those and they go bad occasionally especially if the case cooling isn't so great.
                                    They will bloat slightly but the bulge is so small on small caps it is very hard to tell.
                                    Those small caps, if bad, came keep the chipset and other ICs from doing their jobs.
                                    I don't see any that look bad in the photos, but check.
                                    Bad 4 & 5 mm are very rare if they used 105C caps.

Check your chipset for signs of internal melting which will show up as shinny spots, pits, or cracks. If you have some the board is toast.
                                    If you don't have some that doesn't mean the chipset is good though, it could still be shot without showing it externally.

Look for the same thing on the MOSFETs.
                                    Those can be replaced although it's not always an easy job.

In the upper right corner in the last photo there is a large IC that looks like it has a melted spot.
                                    [May be a photo illusion. I can't tell if what I see is damage for sure.]
                                    If it does the board is toast unless you can replace that chip,, which is extremely tricky and difficult and I wouldn't even try. [Especially on a board with a bad PSU history because if that got fried the chipset most likely did too.]
                                    Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

I looked at the spot, the stuff flaked off but it did look kind of melted. Would the damage go down farther or would it be on the surface?

Comment

if there's some sort of "crater" in that chip, it's toast.

edit: from the looks of it and its position, this seems to be the legacy I/O controller (ie: floppy, parallel port, serial port, ..)
                                        Last edited by Scenic; 05-10-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X