No power on a Acer AL1916

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No power on a Acer AL1916

Replaced the part at U406 with a MAX810MTRG0SCT-ND from DigiKey, and it is working beautifully. I did test the voltages on the bottom two pins after installing, and with a DMM, I never saw any voltages on either of the two legs. I held the probes on each pin and cycled power. It could be that the meter would not read if it was only on for a few milliseconds?

I also wanted to express my gratitude again for everyone's help on this site. I was ready to scrap this monitor when I saw that the problem was on the logic board, as most problems in this part of a monitor are above my skill level. After searching and finding this post I was able to fix the problem with a 58 cent part. Amazing.

Comment

Today I got a fluke 87 from a friend and found that the capacitance setting only goes to 5uF. I tried checking for a short on any of the caps using ohm and they seemed fine.

Anyway, I followed each step here and these are my results:

Code:
      Power Board #1 Large Capacitor - 166 volts
      Black - 0.012
      Brown - 4.49
      Red - 14.52
      Orange -0.00
      Yellow - 4.93
      Green - 4.93
      Blue - 0.00
      Black - 0.00
      Code:
      Logic Board: (S/N: 715G1558-1-ac)
      Left - 3.28
      Middle - 2.56
      Right - 2.59

Top - 4.64
      Middle - 3.28
      Bottom - 0.00
      I got almost the same exact results from these steps as RobertoIsRad. So I'm also assuming the logic board is bad. However, unlike RobertoIsRad my LCD powers up and the backlight and LED both come on. Nevertheless, there is no acer logo let alone any kind of image or response from the menu buttons. So apparently the power is working at least enough to light-up the screen.

I tried the screwdriver short on U406 but it didn't seem to effect anything since the screen already powers up.

I'm wondering what to test next. After following all the instructions listed here I have come to the conclusion that I should just try replacing all caps and see if that works. The problem is that none of the caps look bad except for the slightest budge on C0612 (1000 uF @ 25V) and C0604 (1000 uF @ 16V) shown below.

Originally posted by PlainBill
      5V supply
      1000 uF @ 16V C924
      470 uF @ 16V C926

12V supply
      1000 uF @ 25V C923, C931 (yes, two of them)
      470 uF @ 25V C925

SMPS supply
      100 uF @ 25V C906
      47 uF @ 25V C909

Inverter
      470 uF @ 25V C203
      I found a copy of the logic board but it's no longer for sale.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Xeoncross; 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeoncross
        Today I got a fluke 87 from a friend and found that the capacitance setting only goes to 5uF. I tried checking for a short on any of the caps using ohm and they seemed fine.

Anyway, I followed each step here and these are my results:

Code:
        Power Board #1 Large Capacitor - 166 volts
        Black - 0.012
        Brown - 4.49
        Red - 14.52
        Orange -0.00
        Yellow - 4.93
        Green - 4.93
        Blue - 0.00
        Black - 0.00
        Code:
        Left - 3.28
        Middle - 2.56
        Right - 2.59

Top - 4.64
        Middle - 3.28
        Bottom - 0.00
        I got almost the same exact results from these steps as RobertoIsRad. So I'm also assuming the logic board is bad. However, unlike RobertoIsRad my LCD powers up and the backlight and LED both come on. Nevertheless, there is no acer logo let alone any kind of image or response from the menu buttons. So apparently the power is working at least enough to light-up the screen.

I tried the screwdriver short on U406 but it didn't seem to effect anything since the screen already powers up.

I'm wondering what to test next. After following all the instructions listed here I have come to the conclusion that I should just try replacing all caps and see if that works. The problem is that none of the caps look bad except for the slightest budge on C0612 (1000 uF @ 25V) and C0604 (1000 uF @ 16V) shown below.

I found a copy of the logic board but it's no longer for sale.
        There are two possible approaches to this. One is to replace all the caps on the power supply board. Remember, bulging / no bulging is not a definitive sign of the quality of a cap. Any cap that is bulging is bad. One that is not bulging may or may not be bad.

As I recall, this logic card has multiple processors. I suggest checking the voltages on all the voltage regulators on the logic card. Attach a picture if you want me to point them out.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

A photo of the logic board is in my last post. I tried to take another picture but my camera is out of batteries so I'm charging it now. Let me know and I'll take a photo if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeoncross
            A photo of the logic board is in my last post. I tried to take another picture but my camera is out of batteries so I'm charging it now. Let me know and I'll take a photo if needed.
            You are right, my mistake. On the picture on the left, two voltage regulators are circled in blue. What are the voltages on each pin of them, use the mounting pad circled in black as the ground point.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Since you had RobertoIsRad go through these steps I just followed along and I already posted these readings.

Code:
              Left - 3.28
              Middle - 2.56
              Right - 2.59

Top - 4.64
              Middle - 3.28
              Bottom - 0.00

Thanks for the help you have been, I'm having a lot of fun with this.

Comment

I happened to be next to radio shack so I stopped in and I replaced the 1000uF 25V and 1000uF 16V both with 1000uF 35V caps from XICON. However, other than a tiny clicking sound when the power is on (something might be shorting) the problem is the same.

Pushing the power button the power LED turns on green (and stays green) and the screen backlight turns on. However, there is no image, logo, menu, etc.

It would still be nice if I could save this LCD.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post

The other method of testing requires you reassemble the boards to the LCD panel and hook up all the leads. It also involves working on the monitor with AC power hooked up, so be careful. Locate a screwdriver just wide enough to span the two bottom leads of U406. Position the monitor so you can reach the power button. (This may be easier if you have a helper). Now plug in the AC power, short the two bottom leads of U406 together, then push the power button several times at 1-2 second intervals. If the monitor comes on (or even if the power button lights up), the reset controller is bad. If you smell something like burning plastic, the magic smoke got let out of something. If you smell something like burning flesh, well I warned you to be careful.

The part you are looking for is an ASM810MEURF-T. Equivalent parts should be a MAX810M. Make sure you get the right size part. One is 1.15 mm wide, the other is 1.5 mm.

PlainBill
                  I have an Acer al1916 that had no sign of life all secondary voltages looked good.
                  I noticed about 2.4v at the power button that went to 0v as button was pushed.
                  I used PlainBills suggestion of shorting the two pins o f u406 and after several attempts of pushing the power button it came to life.I didn't let any smoke out, and I did not burn any flesh.It worked.
                  I will order the controller and replace, Thanks PlainBill.
                  Al.
                  Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

You need low-esr caps. The gp (gwneral purpose) caps that radio shack has are useless to you

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                      I have an Acer al1916 that had no sign of life all secondary voltages looked good.
                      I noticed about 2.4v at the power button that went to 0v as button was pushed.
                      I used PlainBills suggestion of shorting the two pins o f u406 and after several attempts of pushing the power button it came to life.I didn't let any smoke out, and I did not burn any flesh.It worked.
                      I will order the controller and replace, Thanks PlainBill.
                      Al.
                      Well good news replacing U406 cured the problem. The MAX810MTRG SOT23 package was the correct part. CHIP QUIK and a small pencil 15w soldering iron made it an easy repair
                      Al.
                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                        Well good news replacing U406 cured the problem. The MAX810MTRG SOT23 package was the correct part. CHIP QUIK and a small pencil 15w soldering iron made it an easy repair
                        Al.
                        Congrats on the repair. Even more interesting was the fact that you were able to use a 15W soldering iron for the repair!

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                          Congrats on the repair. Even more interesting was the fact that you were able to use a 15W soldering iron for the repair!
                          One thing to consider is I was working with a very small surface mount I.C.
                          The CHIP QUIK really makes melting solder easy.
                          Al.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                            I have a few questions/problems regarding repairing the power board of my AL 1916 ASD Monitor.
                            While trying to replace the capacitors on the board i managed to destroy one of the contacts on the board.
                            It is has been quite a while since i played with electronics and hence managed to destroy the contact using my soldering iron.
                            Based on the boards contacts it seemed like a few of the capacitors were in parallel, so i decided to connect one of the capacitor leads to the other capacitor's lead to make a good connection.
                            Please see picture.
                            Now the problem is that it did not fix the problem completely.
                            The monitor turns on, but i am barely able to see a shadow on the monitor when i press the menu button and when i connect it to my computer, (so it is defiantly getting some input from computer).
                            Could someone help me further to diagnose and fix the problem.
                            Thank you
                            borg drone
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by borgdrone View Post
                              Hi Everyone,
                              I have a few questions/problems regarding repairing the power board of my AL 1916 ASD Monitor.
                              While trying to replace the capacitors on the board i managed to destroy one of the contacts on the board.
                              It is has been quite a while since i played with electronics and hence managed to destroy the contact using my soldering iron.
                              Based on the boards contacts it seemed like a few of the capacitors were in parallel, so i decided to connect one of the capacitor leads to the other capacitor's lead to make a good connection.
                              Please see picture.
                              Now the problem is that it did not fix the problem completely.
                              The monitor turns on, but i am barely able to see a shadow on the monitor when i press the menu button and when i connect it to my computer, (so it is defiantly getting some input from computer).
                              Could someone help me further to diagnose and fix the problem.
                              Thank you
                              borg drone
                              While the repair is not done professionally, it appears to be good enough. Did you check for the proper output voltages? How about an open fuse in the inverter area? Did you plug in the CCFLs?

Above all, good pictures of the top and bottom of the board will help us help you.

PlainBill

Comment

Thank you for you response PlainBill.
                                I havent actually checked anything other then replace bulging capacitors. Could you please give me a little more directon on how to check for the output voltages.
                                Here are a few more pictures.
                                Thank you
                                Borg drone
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by borgdrone View Post
                                  I havent actually checked anything other then replace bulging capacitors. Could you please give me a little more directon on how to check for the output voltages.
                                  C62 looks swollen or bloated in the photos.

CN101 is the connector to the logic card and clearly marked with voltages.

Put your multimeter on 20V DC. Choose a ground screw near CN101. Put your black probe on the ground screw. Put your red probe on all the connectors on CN101 (one at a time) and record all the voltages and report them.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                    The other method of testing requires you reassemble the boards to the LCD panel and hook up all the leads. It also involves working on the monitor with AC power hooked up, so be careful. Locate a screwdriver just wide enough to span the two bottom leads of U406. Position the monitor so you can reach the power button. (This may be easier if you have a helper). Now plug in the AC power, short the two bottom leads of U406 together, then push the power button several times at 1-2 second intervals. If the monitor comes on (or even if the power button lights up), the reset controller is bad. If you smell something like burning plastic, the magic smoke got let out of something. If you smell something like burning flesh, well I warned you to be careful.

PlainBill
                                    After resoldering the bad solder points and checking all the caps, I too did this and managed to get it working. Cheap part, easy fix. PlainBill, where do we send beer?

Comment

Originally posted by koppit View Post
                                      After resoldering the bad solder points and checking all the caps, I too did this and managed to get it working. Cheap part, easy fix. PlainBill, where do we send beer?
                                      DamnifIknow. I can only tolerate alcohol free beer, which totally misses the point. I guess you will have to send the good stuff to Topcat.

PlainBill

Comment

Hello, I just wanted to say thanks alot for working this problem out here on the forums. We had one of these monitors sitting in a garage for two years with the same probelm. It wouldn't turn on and no power led light up. After reading through your posts I just went ahead and ordered the part from digi key and replaced. To my amazement the monitor works perfectly. I am extremely impressed with your knowledge and the way you worked through this problem. Thanks again PlainBill, you deserve a pat on the back.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                          I'm working on a similar Acer AL1916 today. Same issue: No Power. LED Indicator does not lit up. Surprised to see bunch of Rubycons here and all caps are looking good. Like from a couple of posts here, replacing (one suggested removing) MAX810M resolved their issue. I wanted to try shorting U406 reset controller but my poor eyes could not locate it on the main board. This thread has good images of the board. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Al <-will buy magnifier after this post

Comment

Working...
                                          X