Old computers still in use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old computers still in use

Yes industrial gear can pull it off, most of the businesses in Australia are quiet small. They do not have a lot of money and they do not make extravagant amounts of cash from sales. These companies can not afford to buy new machines very often if at all. They rely on machines that are over 10 years old (and obviously use hardware that is from that era). It is not uncommon that machines that are 20 years old or more are still in service.

Not only that, a lot of the industrial PC gear has been specifically made proprietary, even thou many are made from standard PC components. Particularly the software and possibly the OS itself has been programmed in such a way so that if there are any changes in the hardware, nothing will work properly if at all. If something fails, it needs an exact replacement, possibly down to the firmware level. Other machines may not be as picky. However they need a particular legacy add-in card to work properly for the machine to operate (hence motherboards with ISA slots are quiet handy to have at times).

I think this is how kc8adu makes business repairing industrial equipment. Where are you going to fins a specific motherboard that is 10-15 years old? It is very difficult, chances are someone has a few stored away somewhere. However since they know that you need a particular part for a specific purpose and you need it ASAP and you can't exactly go next door (to a competitor) and get one. They flog em for incredible prices because that is how much they are worth to the company. What is better, buying a $500 motherboard that is 15 years old, or paying $100,000 for a machine retrofit (Cost obviously depends upon complexity of machine and amount of work to be done. It may be more worthwhile than constantly fixing up a shitty machine that has fundamental limitations with the electronics and software), or paying millions for a brand new machine?

Comment

Downtime can eat up that $500 of motherboard faster than anything.

Comment

My OLD PCs in Use-

PRIMARY Office desktop under 24x7 use - (About 8~9 years old.....very High end when buyed...)

P4 2.4 Ghz Northwood, 533 FSB
        1GB DDR 1 266 MhZ RAM
        2x 250 GB IDE HDDs in raid 0.
        Oem 400W PSU....Still working!
        Geforce 6200 8X AGP with 256 MB RAM.
        DVD writer.

Secondary Home PC... Almost retired now-

Intel p3 1Ghz... 133mhZ FSB
        128MB SDR1 133mhz ram
        40gb HDD
        CD writer.
        ZIP drive.
        15 inch CRT

Comment

P4 2.4GHz
          256MB Rambus DRAM
          120 GB HDD
          GeForce4 MX-420

from ~2003 and is now very slow and unresponsive

seriously, in the time it takes to boot this computer I can have an entire operating system installed on a new one.

Comment

You do realize that those are not "old" per-say. I remember when specs like that were the norm when this site first opened for business.
            Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

I have an old Micronics 486 DX2/66 that I still use from time to time for retrogaming. These old DOS titles are best played on such hardware, speed-wise and also with genuine audio hardware such as an AWE32 and a Roland LAPC1 card.
              I'm toying with the idea to get hold of a 16 MHz 386 for the really old stuff, which run less than optimal on the 486 with slowdown techniques of various kinds. An interesting project to be sure. My first PC was a 25 MHz 386SX, which I don't have anymore.

Comment

i'm with Pentium,
                if it clocks higher than 600mhz then i dont really consider it "old"

Comment

I think RAM matters more than the CPU speed. A well-managed Windows XP or 2000 install on a computer with 256 MB of RAM can still be quite usable for light-medium surfing and office tasks.
                  The HP Pavilion I mentioned on the previous page does just that with only 384 MB of RAM. The trick is to not have any junk running that you don't need. A lot of times people's computers get slow just because they install too much crap that tries to start with the OS or runs in the background. A clean XP install with a few tweaks can be made to boot in just under 100 MB. If you have 256 MB of RAM, that leaves you with 156 MB to spare, and that should be enough for a few Firefox/IE windows open simultaneously for light surfing with still some RAM to spare.

Comment

Working...
                  X