No announcement yet.

Philips 18W CFL's with bad 'JH' caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 18W CFL's with bad 'JH' caps.

Well, I was walking around in the university again today, and this time I went through a path that I haven't gone in a very long time. They have changed the Sodium laps there to LEDs as well. But these ones were very bright and seemed to work way much better than the other ones I've seen. If you looked on the ground, it would seem like it was mid-day.
    My only guess as to why these LED lamps are so bright is because they are much closer to the ground than the other LED lamps around the campus. Perhaps LEDs just don't work well from a far distance.

Comment

I managed to make an LED nightlight brighter and make it stop flickering by adding a filter cap inside it. Inside this nightlight, there was a 1N4004 diode, two 9.1K ohm resistors in series, and a 5mm white LED. I had the best results by installing a 2.2uF cap between the resistors. Installing a cap of any value directly across the LED only made it stop flickering.

The CFL floodlights I was talking about earlier (I called them halogen replacements ) don't work well in the cold garage. They are supposed to operate down to -15°F, but they become dim and pink before the temperature gets that low.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
        The CFL floodlights I was talking about earlier (I called them halogen replacements ) don't work well in the cold garage. They are supposed to operate down to -15°F, but they become dim and pink before the temperature gets that low.
        Well sure they're operating, but I guess they just didn't say anything about them operating well
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

did you let the things warm up?
          if enclosed they should warm up in a few minutes if they start.
          as for the nightlights walmart blew out a bunch at 2/$.49.
          probably got to many returns and dumped them.everyone i iknow got some.
          in a month they were all dim and blue.
          since i still had the better part of a 500ct bag of nichia 5mm white led's on hand they all got fixed.better than new and still going 2 years later.bet even in 10000 lot qty those led's cost more than all the rest of the parts in the things.

Comment

I didn't let the CFLs warm up, but they should get brighter after some time.

I saw a nightlight that was dim and blue from the factory. It looks like a standard nightlight that was modified to use an LED that sits inside a frosted white tube. My modified nightlight still isn't as bright as one that uses an incandescent bulb, but it also only runs the LED from 2.92V.

Comment

Working...
            X