Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 lcd replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 lcd replacement

I came across a "smashed" samsung tab pro 8.4. The screen would still turn on with some degree of startup splash display. The unit charges. I have another working samsung tab pro 8.4 so I thought at worst I could use the battery as a spare. By comparing the "splash screen" with the working model, I was able to get the unit shut down "normally" (ie. touch the screen where the display would have been). I have separated the top / guts from the lower back cover, removed the battery. I am waiting on the replacement LCD / touchscreen assembly from our "off shore friends". As I wait, I was wondering how the panel is attached to the motherboard / body... just glue / double sided tape? I don't see any clips beyond the couple of cables running from the motherboard / body to the panel. Can I just pry this apart... without heating the panel assembly... or do I need to heat things up to release the glue?

Thanks for any guidance. I hope I can get to "recovered from the garbage bin".

PS. I have done some TV troubleshooting / "recovery", understand electronics but never tackled the tablet environment. I am surprised at what they can stick inside this small form.

Re: Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 lcd replacement

Maybe this can give you an idea :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvAActsNMbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnAKE2g1TWU

Comment

Thanks... I have watched the first one as that's how I got the body separate from the back. It does show heating to remove the touchscreen but doesn't go into the lcd panel.
      Hence the question. I assuming the is no clips involved.
      I haven't seen the second one before but it certainly has a good idea with using a wire (picture wire) to remove the touch screen. There is quite a bit of body difference between the tab pro and the tab s.

Hopefully the replacement lcd panel will provide clues as to how the existing panel is mounted / contained.

Comment

I think it's high strength double sided adhesive that sticks the screen to the plastic frame. The motherboard then screws to the frame.

Comment

The digitizer screen is already mostly off (half) as the "smash" was pretty catastrophic. I can basically pull it off but was afraid of pulling / breaking any "hidden mounts" of the lcd screen. I am somewhat afraid at blindly poking under lcd panel "lip" especially near camera and "peripheral openings" as don't even know how deep (from edge to middle) that the housing and panel is without interfering with any delicate points (ie. wiring tracks, contacts, etc). I should probably wait til the replacement comes to be safe.

I suspect tape also but after seeing some of the video without "glue methods", I was thinking in terms of mass production, a machine can probably readily spray / target proper gluing.
          Thanks
          Last edited by budwich; 03-21-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Have you had a look on ifixit ? You might get a better idea of where you can pry.

Comment

yep, looked there also. It only shows a motherboard replacement. But as you have noted, the motherboard and lcd panel are mounted to some form of "subframe". The motherboard has very small little "clamping extrusions" at places along with screws holding it to the frame. I haven't demounted the motherboard yet to look underneath it to see if there are any hidden point the hold the panel. I was hopping that I wouldn't have to disturb the basic "structure" to remove the panel... but maybe have to. I was figuring that the less I touch, the better my odds of successful... maybe wishful thinking.

Comment

the replacement panel finally arrived from the "far side". It is indeed held on to the body / frame with double sided tape. I am hoping some heat to the old screen will make removal go easier. The screen had significant impact resulting in lots of tiny pieces of glass so that might affect repair. I have never tried this stuff so it should be an adventure. Need to read up on loca glues as the replacement panel appears to have the digitizer already attached but with significant "bubbling" which I am hoping is that the "seller" just mated the surface ("airless" wise) for shipping. Seller didn't really provide much info although I was hoping the panel and digitizer were properly attached (ie. glued) but maybe that was too much expectation.

Comment

well got the old panel off. Its basically adhesive taped on. The bad news is that I torn the ribbon connecting one of the touch buttons at the bottom of the screen. It is a small ribbon cable that connects the two touch buttons and the home bottom to the board. It is connectorized and I am hoping to find a replacement. But so far no luck at ifixit. Anyone know or see where this part is available? thanks

Comment

maybe this?
                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flex-Boton...UAAOSw~OVWysOM

Comment

that's it... thanks. I guess its referred to as a "navigation cable". I am glad that it is replaceable.

Comment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...e-ea2a95fd0752

Comment

@budwich, I can't help you, but wish you good luck in repairing this.

I bought this exact same tablet used and it is fine, but battery life isn't that great and seems to drop off from 33% to 0% right away.

I have tried discharging/recharging, but problem persists. Hopefully, yours is not like this one.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thanks for the added info. I have the unit in "dry mount mode" (ie. I don't have the adhesive tape to mount / hold the panel to the body / frame) so I can turn it on and test things. The panel looks fine, hopefully I won't break / crack during final re-assembly. Just to clear up an earlier "query", the replacement panel and digitizer were glued properly... there was a protective plastic sheet which was bubbled so the overall repair is almost "painless"... no messy glue and no UV lights and NO bubbles. YES!

It appears to charge well as I am using the another T320 charge cable. I have seen posts in samsung forums with others complaining about battery charge (slow) and life. IIRC, some have indicated that they "re-seated" the battery cable to help with the problem. Of course, you have to disassemble the back to get at the battery so the could be "chancy" with the screen / panel.

I haven't played with it much beyond that ALTHOUGH there is one interesting aspect that I am somewhat "amazed" by. As I mentioned, I cut (accidently) the cabling going to the two "pickups" for the navigation buttons on the bottom of the table (the center button is still fully complete with cabling pad and hard button). BUT it appears that they have not lost their capability as I can touch the buttons and they respond as normal. Maybe there is still enough "capacitance / voltage" conveyed by the remaining cable "stub"... but I was amazed the function at all. If I would have known that, I probably wouldn't not have order the replacement flex cabling.

Just thought I would post for information and kind of "what do you know" moment.
                            Last edited by budwich; 05-27-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              @budwich, I can't help you, but wish you good luck in repairing this.

I bought this exact same tablet used and it is fine, but battery life isn't that great and seems to drop off from 33% to 0% right away.

I have tried discharging/recharging, but problem persists. Hopefully, yours is not like this one.
                              Hey Retiredcaps: I am curious about your unit. I have a t320 wifi only so this t321 has wifi and phone/3G. Does your phone / 3g work if you don't mind me asking.... I don't have any devices that provide anything more than wifi service... I can't afford the $$ they charge for the "phone sex parts". :-)

Overall, it appears I will be successful for total cost of about $120 -> broken unit, panel / digitizer, nav button cable, tools, glue tape.... so not bad for a older device that does have a great display.... too bad Samsung "orphaned it". I probably could have gotten a "working unit" off ebay for $150-200 depending on the day.... but I wouldn't have learned as much.

Comment

Mine is a T320, only wifi.

I got mine for $80 CDN used. I like the faster CPU, extra RAM, screen resolution and display. Nice size and if battery life were linear and longer, it would be great, but I'm okay with it.

I only use it to play games.

I thought about putting custom rom to see if battery life improves, but haven't gotten annoyed with it enough to try. Or reseat/resolder the battery connector cables as I have seen others do.
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I basically use my t320 as a remote (via touchsquid app). you got a good deal on yours.
                                  anyways, I hope to resurrect this t321 to use as an extra "mobile center" around the house... maybe wall mount it / cradle it in some fashion.

Comment

I found out what the navigator button cable is... I think, it is for lighting the buttons and has nothing to do with the functionality.

Comment

The thing (t321) seems to function ok so the "smash up recovery" seems to be fine. The bad news is that the T321 is a chinese market item which means that it has no access to google play for apps. Some can be "side loaded" but any site / link that "re-directs" to the store is basically useless. Further, since samsung abandoned this line, the kitkat 4.4.2 has no official upgrade :-( Oh well, it was / is a good learning exercise. Couple points learned... be weary of the device maker and their commitment to their products. As a result, think twice about android devices which appear to be "toss in the garbage" units, both figuratively and literally after a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                        Further, since samsung abandoned this line, the kitkat 4.4.2 has no official upgrade :-(
                                        Try some custom roms. That is the nice thing about Samsung, they have a lot of options.

Check XDA site.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-pro-12-10-8
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X