Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > Custom Tweaks, Modifications, and Revisions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #341
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: The ghetto mod thread

I found a Pentium III slot processor (500 MHz Katmai, SL35E) without a heatsink at my new job. It was going to get thrown out with this month's cleaning, so I took it.

As usual, I decided to put an Xbox 360 GPU heatsink (revision 2) on it as I have an abundance of those. The result wasn't so pretty...

... but it worked!

Yes, the mod does look like crap. But for only 30 minutes worth of my time, it could have been worse.

Really, the main problem was finding thin bolts that were long enough to attach to the heatsink, and of course, drilling holes in the heatsink with the right spacing. The only bolts I had on hand that met the requirements had stripped heads. So I ended up dremeling the heads of those bolts and using them.

Despite the numerous encounters I found online that said that older Pentium III CPUs like this wouldn't work on a Dell Dimension XPS R400 motherboard, I decided to try it on mine anyways. To my surprise, everything worked absolutely fine. The board POSTed and successfully booted into Windows XP. Heatsink didn't get even warm during my brief tests (nor the CPU for that matter).

Of course, when I get time, I will put a better heatsink on there - perhaps an Xbox 360 CPU heatsink. Then the CPU could be nearly passively cooled.

Lol, that is surely one way to make computer work for future techs and IT folks "energizing" and "exciting".

Last edited by momaka; 01-28-2017 at 10:01 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #342
cpt.charlie

City & State: Torrelavega
My Country: Spain
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Not exactly a MOD but i had a 450W "infrared" ceramic heating element that i ordered for china (about 7€) but it doesn't emit IR radiation at all, just acts as a resistor and it was collecting dust so i decided to make something usefull with it, maybe a low cost preheater for boards with large ground planes , i connected a 1€ ebay dimmer (2Kw unit but likely 700w is more realistic) a PSU case + a cd drive case and i got this:

Quite useful to remove components like coils or caps on large ground planes, just be careful with the heating time as it doesn't have any temperature control.

Even it has a nice cover!

Last edited by cpt.charlie; 02-01-2017 at 04:52 PM..
cpt.charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #343
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt.charlie View Post
Not exactly a MOD but i had a 450W "infrared" ceramic heating element...

Quite useful to remove components like coils or caps on large ground planes, just be careful with the heating time as it doesn't have any temperature control.
Yeah, cool gadget indeed. You can also use it to make your own chipset heatsinks if you find a space CPU/GPU copper heat spreader and copper fins. Then put the copper heat spreader directly on the ceramic element and let it heat up. Then solder the fins to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =cpt.charlie
i connected a 1€ ebay dimmer (2Kw unit but likely 700w is more realistic)
Actually, those dimmers are not that bad. Their only downside is that they produce a lot of EMI/RFI noise, because they don't turn ON and OFF synchronously with the line's AC waveform.

You can use them both at 120 V AC and 240 V AC, as long as the little blue trimmer is adjusted properly (the blue trimmer can also be used to set where the minimum turn ON point is for the dimmer).

I have 2 of these myself. (Got them free from a technician who had no idea what he was doing and blew them up. I think he was trying to power PS3 fans from the wall with that. Not sure, but either way, I also got two fried PS3 fans from him, and their electronics were well-done - definitely looked like they were plugged in the wall! However, I was able to fix them! - if anyone is interested, I got pictures of those, too.)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #344
cheapie
null

City & State: Walcott, IA
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 124VAC 59Hz

This... is my new computer setup.

Points of interest:
  • Power supply held in by putting screws through a PCI slot cover into the fan grille
  • Power switch works, but only because the (proprietary) connector is on sideways
  • Case from a Gateway E-1600 XL
Attached Images
File Type: png comp_outside.png (814.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png comp_inside.png (1.09 MB, 23 views)
cheapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #345
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

^That's a pretty cool build, though. Looks completely stock on the outside.
Total sleeper!