Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Home 672 Sewing Machine Capacitor

Hello,
    I am new to the badcaps forum and was hoping for some advice, I stumbled by your site while trying to find information relating to repairing a blown capacitor in an old sewing machine that I inherited from my grandma.

I found a thread a few years back that was very informative but was for a Brother sewing machine that was wired in a different way, I was hoping that someone may be able to help me identify a suitable replacement capacitor for my machine.

The sewing machine is a New Home Model 672, manufactured some time pre 1990. The capacitor that is causing the issues is located in the foot pedal and through my current research I believe that it is an X capacitor used for smoothing, to reduce arcing in the speed control mechanism and noise from the motor.

The sewing machine is wired like this:

The capacitor has the following written on it:

ERIE
    A4038H
    0.15uF
    600v D.C Wkg
    250v A.C Wkg
    Y SA

The makers name isn't ERIE, that is the middle of the name, the rest of the letters have worn off. There was a little more written on the back but again it's all rubbed off. It made quite a bang when the ends blew off!

Based on information I've gathered on this forum and on the web it looks to me like an X capacitor, I'm guessing that a Y type capacitor wouldn't be suitable as if it was to fail in this setup I wouldn't know. If an X capacitor in this setup fails it would blow the fuse in the plug and I'll know there is a problem.

I have found the following capacitor on eBay that at first glance has similar voltages, the same capacitance, suppression application and is an X2 type. Would it be suitable as it's not a foil type design with exactly the same voltages?

Feel free to tear my amateur attempts to identify everything apart and point out any errors I've made.

I would be grateful for any assistance in locating a suitable replacement capacitor.

As many people have mentioned both in the Brother sewing machine thread and on other sites I have removed the capacitor and the machine is now working again but I do not consider this a suitable solution as the capacitor has it's part to play in the life expectancy of the other components in the machine.

Cheers, Nick

Re: New Home 672 Sewing Machine Capacitor

a .15@600v orange drop type will do fine.
    erie is a cap brand.
    your ebay cap should be fine too if its not a cheap counterfeit.

Comment

Farnell UK also lists that same cap.

Comment

Awesome, thank you for your quick replies.
        I've ordered the capacitor from Farnell and saved myself a few pounds.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X