X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi everyone,
    I'm just an old tech looking for hints on troubleshooting newer stuff. Started out in tubes, put in 22 in the US Navy as an avionics tech (P-3 Orion AIP). First computer: a Univac 1830A. :-) Retired from there and worked for a bit as a network administrator before starting my own beef ranch. I fix stuff on the side here and there, and I hate to have to throw something away when I know that it's usually something pretty simple to fix. Looks like there are some pretty smart folks on here and I'm sure I can learn from ya'll.

Comment

Richii finally coming round.
      I started with a Sinclair ZX88, it came as a kit. Had to solder every thing to the main board, it had 4000 bytes RAM and a membrane keyboard.
      I have been working with and repairing (easy stuff) for more than 40 years. I have no schooling in electronics, other than what I have taught myself... some learned the hard way, most by reading.
      I get this stuff from the "Upland Mall" (dump) and fix what I can for people who need and cannot afford.
      I find a lot of Flat screen TVs just need a capacitor or two 90% of the time in the power supply. Is crazy they build them so weak.
      I am retired Fire/EMT and have other odds and ends in there too...CNA, Computer repair/service, construction experience and a background in art with an eye for the WOW factor.

Comment

Hello! I'm relatively new to working with electronics. I never really had an interest before, but I recently bought a large tv to repair and decided to do it myself. I'll probably stick around too, as I have an interest in building Megasquirt ECUs for several different auto tuning applications, and Im sure I'll learn quite a lot about circuitry from you fine folks. Have a great day!

Comment

Hi all, glad to find this great site! Tom

Comment

Hey I'm new here. I'm not all that computer savy but if there is something broke I'm always willing to fix it. I was a carpenter most of my life did it for over 25 years but now I'm a certified tech working on commercial cooking equipment for a little company here in memphis. There's not a whole lot I can't do. Yes I can fix cars as well. Operate heavy equipment and work on some electronics. The electronics part is what led me here to all you guys and gals. I'm trying to figure out the problem with this Polaroid tv. So far I have found a loose connection on one of the plugs that I know makes the red light come on but that's about it. Just looking for a few tips.

Comment

'Ello! I've been searching for a repair forum for 10 minutes now and this is the one that's all about exactly what i'm going to ask. Time to search.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                yo

Comment

Hello everyone!

My name is Derrick, I am 23 years old, and I live in Ridgecrest, CA. I am currently attending Devry University, and I am majoring in Electronics Engineering. In my spare time, which is becoming short in supply, I engage in many hobbies, such as art, writing, and 3d animation and design, just to name a few.

I came into the world of electronics fairly late, starting with middle school. (Long story). My first computer that I got after high school was a Pentium 2 pc running Windows XP. Ever since then, I became interested in how electronics work.

I look forward to working with everyone here!

Derrick

Comment

Hi I'm Brandon, not the best with figuring out problems but I like to take stuff apart and mess around, hoping I can get some questions answered to help me fix some stuff.

Comment

Hi, Dizmayed here, from Oakland, California. Related interests include Linux, audio, and RF amps in the old days. TV problems bring me to this forum. Video: something I know nothing abt but don't mind a steep learning curve.

Appreciate the knowledge shown in your forums.

Diz
                      Thinkpad T-43 / Linux

Comment

Hello people!
                        I'm George, kinda new around here so i'm a newbie
                        I'm an electronics addict, with an electronics degree
                        My first computer was a 486 at 66 MHz, with 12 MB ram and 120 MB HDD, Mighty Windows 95
                        I am willing to tell more about me and what i know, just talk with me, i am pretty social (i think)

Comment

Hello, found this site using various google searches while trying to fix a few flat screens.
                          Helped me out great, I'm a noob to soldering but successfully repaired my father in laws rca.

Two other tvs I had have lcd panels so I'm going to part them out and make some money hopefully.

I usually work on computers but have learned alot in the last few weeks thanks to this site!

Comment

Hi, I live in Roseville, CA. I found this forum when I was looking for an online fix for my Samsung Syncmaster 245BW. I found a thread from JetAdm123 and a reply from User Gary Indiana that looks like it could be the exact fix I need. Unfortunately even after signing up and activating my forum membership I can't seem to see the pictures he posted. He has them linked from another site called imageshack. It acts like it's viewing them but they are not photos. I'm hoping after I post this reply that I'll be able to e-mail him and ask him to repost or fix the photos that went step by step thru the repair process since I'm not an expert at monitor repair.

Thank you for listening!

Lonnie

Comment

My Name is Steve and I am from Hamilton Ontario, Canada.

Comment

My name is Chad. I'm a CompTIA A+ certified professional in both microsoft windows software and x86-based system architecture hardware and peripherals, like printers, ie. Besides this certification, I have a w3schools certification in HTML/CSS, and have taken over 3 years of formal education in the IT field with an emphasis in web programming.

I got my first PC when I was eight from my father who upgraded to a nice new 80486 33MHz at the time. The hand me down was an 803086 SX/16MHz with 4 megs of RAM, 40 meg hdd, and 5.25 inch drive bay & 3.5 inch drive bay running Dos 5.0. I later upgraded to Win 3.1, but had to learn the DOS command syntax to play games I procured on 5.25 floppy from a local five and dime for a quarter to fifty cents a piece for shareware titles from my pop's friend who worked on IT-related stuff for the military.

Built my first PC with parts I bought online when I was only 13, quite proud to get my first website complete at 14 on geocities, and programmed a 2D race car game in C at the tender young age of 15 with checkpoints.

I've always been quite familiar with PC hardware and software, as well as networking, but due to a recent subcontracting gig I kept for the last couple of years, have gotten into the television side of things. Still astonished to discover on a regular basis the amount of knowledge in this area I lack and am hungry for more and more. I've repaired a couple hundred of television sets now, but this number is deceiving. I've always had multiple parts when I went out on service calls and I have worked for a couple different mom and pop tech shops as well as one large one, and the number of PC's running Windows I have troubleshooted and repaired is easily above two thousand, believe it or not. Any good PC repair tech could testify to similar, if not greater numbers though, as I have easily had at least 3 different computers up at once trying to diagnose and repair each one throughout my workdays and those workdays easily and quickly stretch into years.

What excites me so much about television repair is how often tv repair guru's will get right down to the component level and will replace small items on the boards themselves, electrical components like resistors, IC's, and capacitor's. I've repaired some boards with no cap's, but I've yet to replace a IC or resistor, etc. yet. I presently have good knowledge in regards to diagnosing most symptoms and connecting them with which part is likely faulty, as I am aware of what different parts' functions are in the tv, but even here my knowledge is not complete. In the world of PC's, workstations, and servers, it's quite rare to replace anything at the board level, or at least in my experience. If the graphics card is bad, you check and see what type slot the motherboard is capable of supporting, make sure the power supply unit in the case will provide enough juice to power it, make sure it has a driver compatible with the OS that is running, and then find the appropriate replacement and do the necessary hardware swap. Luckily for me, a tech geek, I notice so many television guru's are adept at actual board repairs that don't involve a complete swap, but actual tiny component replacements on the board involving soldering and de-soldering.

Thus, I am excited to learn more.

Comment

Hello everyone!

My name is Eskil, Im a 28 year old male marine engineer from Denmark, and I will soon start training to become an electrician/electrical engineer.

I have always fiddled with building computers and general tinkering and salvaging/repairing all kinds of things. I recently picked up repairing electronics, since it has long been one of my biggest shortcomings, so Im fairly inexperienced, but I do know my way around with a multi-meter, theroretical basics and how not to blow up capacitors (one time with toxic dust everywhere was enough )

I am looking forward to using this forum, and I hope to learn alot from you guys. I will soon make a thread about a TV Im currently trying to fix.

Comment

Hello Folks, Name here is Jake. Found the forum while researching issues with my TV. Love learning about electronics eveyday! 73!

Comment

Hello!

I'm here to figure out how to get started on DIYing tv repair for my home (and possibly friends and family) and this seemed like a good place to start!

Thanks for having me!

Comment

Hi ive worked in the electronics & semi conductors industry for about 15 years.
                                        And I have been in about 10 different companys mostly doing contract work for them.
                                        Now Im working in the automotive enginering industry and have been for the past 4 years
                                        But like most people on this forum I like to think i can fix anything and will give most things
                                        A try. So I hope bye joining this forum I can learn a lot more.

Comment

Hey there bad caps administration and all visitors.

First of all, I have to thank you all for hosting a great site for knowledge.

A little about myself... I work as a retail manger through the day (borinnnng! ) and take my hands to tvs, phones, laptops,pc and anything that has an electronic pulse (or at least should have). I do not watch much tv, I leave that to the wife, and I find that fault finding in electronics gives me plenty to do, and I like the returns such as thankful friends and family.

I decided to join the forum to gain some knowledge in lcd repair. I have use of basic tools such as multimeter and soldering iron and feel comfortable using these in most circumstances.

I should have a thousand posts by this time next week because I have loads of support to ask for, I look forward to furthering my knowledge and confidence by using bad caps forum as my textbook for second opinions.

Let me know when you are ready chaps!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                          X