X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi everyone.

I'm an engineer (Electronics, Computer Sciencs, Crypto) and have spend some time in development audio-products and doing repairs and mods to Tube Amps (Guitar, Bass and HiFi). In this business, Oldtimer-Gear has the BadCap symptoms quite frequently.

In some cases, especially for rock-solid gear that needs to stay healthy during long and extensive touring, the bands would normally invest into the longer operation time components (which really doesn't make a device that more expensive), which we pimped to several devices, known to be prune to the typical lifetime-kill-switches.

Over the last years though, equipment needing badcaps repair action (among others) shifted towards LCD-Screens, mixing-consoles, etc.

I will start at badcaps.net, trying to fix a Hyundai L90D+, being discussed in this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8973

So far, the forum feels like coming home. Please be patient and forgiving, in case I mess up some grammars and vocabular (my english needs some freshups as far as electronics and tech-issues are concerned).

Thanks to all.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
      Hi
      My name is planky and I try to keep up with changing technology in the telecoms area.
      I currently am experiencing a problem with a Panasonic plasma tv that has shut down with 7 blinking lights. I am hoping to be able to get some help with trouble shooting this on the Forum.
      That apart, I am looking forward to interacting with new friends on the forum and generally being a responsible member of the community

Comment

Hi
        My name is planky and I try to keep up with changing technology in the telecoms area.
        I currently am experiencing a problem with a Panasonic plasma tv that has shut down with 7 blinking lights. I am hoping to be able to get some help with trouble shooting this on the Forum.
        That apart, I am looking forward to interacting with new friends on the forum and generally being a responsible member of the community

Comment

Hey everyone!

I am glad I found this great forum.

Comment

Hello all, I'm the latest victim on the Bad Cap Plague, lol. My PC wouldn't POST this morning and I discovered a bulging cap on the MOBO. Hopefully I can replace it without too much difficulty.

Comment

Hello from Norway!
              We got plenty of bad caps here too...and more.
              I got about 30 years of experience as repair-tech in many different fields, and do some audio/hi-fi-diy if I find spare time.

Arne K

Comment

Hi There,
                I don't have much of a story. Im just someone looking to broaden my horizons in an interesting field and I'm unusually excited about the prospect. I hope in time, that I'll be able to give as much as I get.

Comment

Same old sad story, met a TV, TV doesn't work.

In my case it is a VISIO E470VA. I didn't know the exact model # or symptoms when I bought it (for cheap). Now I do.

I had some good success replacing the caps in a different vendor's set awhile back. I thought maybe this was a cap problem too. Now... not so sure.

I am a software guy by trade, a radio ham, and I can use a soldering iron once I figure out what parts I need to replace. I have an O-scope, a multi-meter, and various RF generators and other fun stuff.

Comment

Thanks for accepting my email TC. My name is James and I live in Oshawa, Ontario. I'm a Chef by trade but worked at Celestica. Now having problems with my LG plasma and want to prove to wife that I can fix it, I was the solder king in the plant.

Comment

new here, first post,rocco j here...wish I was a electronic geek...got 2 problems....my profession..P.A that's phy. assistant .in surgery....but im also a FIYG...cars,oil burners,builder, ad grand pa....but I cant type...problem#1...savaria 1000 stair lift pcb board ? dead....get power to board...motor is good[direct bat hook up....comp wont seel parts...?can /where to get it rebuilt...#2 question...tv.sony kdl55nx720...quit...4 red blinking lights....not the fan....opened back no bad compastor noted...nothing looks/smells burnt...HELP!!!....thanks,rocco j

Comment

New to fixing monitors, this forum seems great.

Comment

Hello from Poland

Comment

Tv tech over thirty-five years: tech school graduate,some college. Signal corp. United states army. Owned business for several years.

Comment

Hi everyone. Im a computer tech from sweden and noticed this forum..
                              Thought i shuld take a look at it

Comment

G'day from Australia. No electronics guru, just want to fix my TV!

Comment

Hello fellow forum members, my name is Lloyd and I happened upon this forum because I am seeking help with my son's computer monitor (Hannspree HF237HPB). I am a newbie when it comes to electronics, although I am fascinated by every aspect of electronics and am not afraid to attempt a build or repair. Don't worry, I won't attempt to do anything above "my pay-grade."

Thanks for taking time to read my first post.

Regards,
                                  Lloyd.

Comment

Hello all. Found this site while searching for repair information. Looks like lots of good information here.
                                    Josh from California.

Comment

Hello the name is Sal been repairing DLP tvs for almost 4 years now, looking to dip my feet into new territory and start fixing LCD and LED tvs now. Im hoping to learn a lot from this forum! HAVE A GOOD DAY!

Comment

Hi from Hungary!
                                        We sell and repair network equipment. Thank You!

Comment

I live in East Tennessee and work in the electronics field in healthcare.

Comment

Working...
                                          X