This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

I work for the Navy as a civil service person. Before that, I spent 20 years in the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician.

Comment

hello, I'm new to this this site. Thanks for all the thoughts here!

Comment

Hi, My name is Louis and I've just registered. I live in the UK and found this very useful site after having sudden big headaches with instability on an older MSI k2n2 delta.

I must have missed the scandalous stuff on caps as I didn't realise this was a problem till I noticed the bulges on my caps. So here I am and about to fire some questions about getting caps and sorting out the confusion.

I'll also post in the motherboard section as my board is not there and it's definitely one that has the 'plague'.

Thanks to the owner of this site for the helpful layout and information you have given to all of us sufferers.

Comment

Hi My name is Axl I am an Audio Junkie I love music like Classic Rock,and Metal. Some of my favorite amps and Stereo Receiver brands include Nikko,Sansui,Marantz,Pioneer,Onkyo,Denon,Kenwood
          Last edited by KenwoodExpert; 04-04-2011, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Hello Everyone, they call me Buz cause thats what my older siblings decided I should be called. Given name is Mark but it won't get my attention. So anyway, currently I live in the Pacific Northwest (USA) and it's been raining for over a month now ..... grrrr! Usually love it here. I'm a Building Contractor and our current economy has played a large part in having no work since last summer. I'm probably as old or older than anyone in this forum and I like proving the old saying wrong ..... you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

As for learning new tricks, I've computed since ~1995. It's been a long and winding road and currently there are 7 functioning Macs in the house. I want to make it 8 (again). Biggest issue for me is I know nothing about caps and ohms and meters. I've always operated on the principle - nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm at least gonna try.
            So ..... here goes!!

Comment

Hello fellow Techies! My name is TG and I have been infected the "fix-it bug" for about 10 years now. I have repaired several Tv sets and look forward to helping others with any issues they may have.

Comment

Well hi y'all. My name is Frank, 74 years old and repaired my first radio when I was 12 and my first TV when 14. Lived in the world of electronics all these years, was a Metrology technician, working my way up to department manager in a large systems manufacturing company. Owned and operated an FAA certified avionics repair business worked for a large company as an avionics engineer repairing communication, naviagation and weather radar equipment until I slipped off a ladder while up on the wing of a plane and busted up my arm. Located now in central west coast Florida I have a small computer repair oepration working from home. Oh yeah, left out that was also a part time flight instructor at ISP MacArthur airport on Long Islang, NY.
                I bored you all enough. This really is an excellent web site and look forward to taking part in it. USA and free enterproise all the way.

Comment

My name Lakeim and I am a radio repair mechanic out in Brooklyn NY. Started my electronics carrer in the USAF as a Satellite Communications Tech in 1984. I came across the site looking for information on repairing the inverter power board for the Elo Touchscreen Monitors. I cant get a part number for the IC U1 on the underside of the board.

Comment

Erik In Twin Falls, Idaho. E J entertainment com coin operated games. Been working on LCD repairs as well as computers and power supplies and monitors. Found site from a Fixya link. Having issues figuring out a couple LCDs that come up briefly 1 to 3 seconds then shut down.

Comment

Hi,

I am a retired doctor who uses computers rather than fixes them.

I came to this forum after my wife's iMac G5 developed fat capacitors. A friend said he would "help" me replace them after the computer stopped working, but suggested that I get replacement capacitors in advance. So, I have been browsing the internet for information on this problem and on replacing capacitors and which capacitors to buy and...so forth and so on.

In the course of searching, I stumbled upon a thread here involving iMac G5 capacitors (power supply) and looked around.

It looks like a great site for capacitor problems such as my wife's machine has.

Steve
                      Arden, NC
                      Linux user

Comment

Hello to all

Im 25

Fixing laptops

Comment

Hey Im a teen who's become obsessed with computers since i was like 8 I don't really have experience with any repair stuff or modding but really wanna learn, so i can stop spending so much on new stuff . Ummm ya guess thats mostly it.

Comment

Hello guys!

I am very happy to have this community because with your help I was able to easily rescue several motherboards, PSUs, LCD PSUs and even graphic cards with bulging caps! I simply cannot thank you enough

Though I'm a newly registered member here at the forum, I check the site and the forum on a regular basis for some years. This means the SEARCH methods provided here (and by the search engines) were supplying me with enough information so I didn't have to join.

Congrats again!
                            Last edited by panderson; 04-09-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Hi all!
                              I'm a super newbie to all this kind of stuff. Basically just a DIY guy looking for solid info on how to fix stuff.
                              Thanks!

Comment

my name is starmaster (at least online). I've been working on computers for years and at one time I even worked at dell tech support phones. This was of course before they moved to india.

Comment

Hello,
                                  This site has already been very useful to me, so thanks !

Comment

I'm so glad I found this forum!! So far I have enjoyed every bit of it. I am an electronics repair tech here in louisville, currently repairing Amazon Kindles. Hello to all.

Comment

Hi to all!

I'm a professional in the repair trade. I've worked in consumer, pro-audio&lights and computers industry. I support free software and wish to contribute to your effort.

Comment

Craig Harder 63 yrs. old disabled and retired from maintenance dept a American Valve and Hydrant , Beaumont ,Texas, USA. First computer was a Commodore 64 w/tape drive .Built a few out of dead machines, went from there to working in a flea market on XP's, old Compaq suite case all in ones, brought and read a book on repair your on computers so I could repair the junk ones took 2 or 3 to make one had a lot of fun, still don't know how to type and have trouble with Windows (I use Mint Linux) for the most part. Started into Ham Radio a few years back and am now trying to learn monitor repair.

Comment

Hey all, I'm a (pathetically) novice electronics hobbyist in my mid 20's. Though electronics tinkering when I was in grade school consisted of using a hammer to smash PCB's to bits, I've refined my approach significantly since then. I occasionally fix things, but mostly just desolder components from old/junk PCB's for "the big project" (as of yet undefined).

Found this board through a google search (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6817 was the thread I came across, I have (had) the same monitor which died). I Figured it was a nice community which I could learn a great deal from.

Comment

Working...
                                          X