This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, i'm Robert, i am an automotive tech and have worked on a lot of auto electrical but not so much on the electronics inside the boxes. This seemed like a good place to learn more about the troubleshooting and testing of electronic components. Thanks for letting me join.

Comment

w3bbo signing in here. I have extensive PC repair/building experience but do not know a great deal about TV repairs which, when mine recently presented problems I sourced a decent tech site. Hence my sign up to badcaps.

Comment

Hello everyone. My wife's monitor is failing. For those who are married, you understand the priority of resolving this.

I have spent a couple of weeks and a really intensive last 4 days trying to pick a replacement. My final pick turned out to be non-existant.

Then I did what I should have done and found that the Samsung monitor was another device screwed up by the ever popular crap capacitors.

And here I am. I have determined how to take it apart. Still thinking how I can get the wife out of the house for a day. She is not fond of me disassembling things. My overall success rate is pretty good; but there have been incidents.

I got here trying to verify the values of the capacitors on the board (I will replace all of the electrolytics) and saw some jpegs I wanted to see. Hence: member.

Comment

Hey everyone, found this site when in search of fixing my parent's plasma screen I bought them for xmas 2 years ago.

I'm a software engineer from upstate NY. I like beer, golf, and building things. Trying to get some more info to fix my parent's TV since I haven't messed around with fixing them in years.

Thanks
          -Ed

Comment

Hello all. New member looking for help or ideas of what to check.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
              As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
              So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
              where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
              hi i am trying to learn more about electronics and tvs

Comment

hello

i find this forum while i searching capacitors for a mainboard

Comment

Hi there,

I like Alternity´s comment on the marital status. Our TV got zapped by lightning the other day. That´s like a 911 call. Leave everything behind and start fixing that thing. Looks like a burned IGBT (GT45g127), but who knows if that is the only thing fried. Well, now I´m looking for parts (or the complete SC board TNPA4829 AC). Problem is where to get it. China does deliver, but takes very long. So, I keep searching.....

Comment

fan of do it yourself repairs and need help on a TV repair. Saw this site and thought it was great.

Comment

Jolly here i was looking up a problem a customer had with their Plasma TV but they left it with us to trash but i wouldn't mind fixing it and getting a new PlayStation TV

But i have been repairing Computer hardware for 3 years...all learned by experience from my co-workers and boss, so laptops and desktop are most of what i work on, so i though some new TV's like smart TV's would be fun to figure out and fix to add to our list of what we repair

Comment

Hey everyone. Just an average Joe with a busted tv. Your forum was recommended to me by a user over at AVS forum. 6 months and counting into a nightmare failure of 58" Panasonic Plasma. Hoping someone here will be able to help. Thanks!

Comment

Hello to all members. Came here looking for info on repairing a monitor and found a very helpful community with lots of interesting info. Thanks to all that contribute.
                          Repair is noble.

Comment

Hey all, I'm known as Maverick on other forums, if any of you are familiar with the AMD forums or were on or visited Austin Modders forums I used to actively post there, if any of you were on the OCZ forums I am the same Maverick that was there that would help out with troubleshooting when the staff wasn't available back before OCZ decided to get rid of their ram and Power supplies. I've also posted elsewhere, I'm on DIY and other forums, I have posted several how to's including one about linux and Nvidia drivers for Mandriva. I am a General all around Technician capable of doing just about anything I put my mind to. I have re-soldiered and refreshed soldier in a few old CRT monitors in the past. I've come to Badcaps because I'd like to start repairing some old power supplies and I have a monitor I have been borrowing from my dad that popped a capacitor that I need to get fixed. I am also a DJ and I love to cook I have a quarter of culinary school I have taken as well. I outright love being a computer mechanic, and I take my work very seriously. I worked alongside my father for many years learning Cabling installation, we worked with the old 4 pair for Rs232, printer, monitor, ect, as well as the old 25 pair stuff. I've also installed old 10baseT Coaxial as well as TV/Cable internet Coax such as RG59 and RG6 along with Cat4, cat5, and cat6 spec wiring. I have a full and strong background in security and networking, mostly self taught. I'm here to learn and help. I plan on taking electronics at my community college to boost my skills with soldiering and circuitry.

Comment

Hi, I've been keen learning electronics for a long time now, so I thought I try and fix some broken things, I'm hoping to get help here.

Comment

Hi all, this is soldersteve here in San Antonio. In a prior life I was doing a fair bit of component level troubleshooting and circuit design. I still occasionally attempt to do some fixing on today's electronics, and I seems to get into more trouble than I should... Hence the need to bounce some things of people with more experience on today's gadgets. Thanks!

Comment

hello every body im new member on forum i have got some experiance with tv and other electronic devices i hope we help between us to get some jobs done

Comment

Hi, found this place trying to figure out if my Panasonic TC-P42S30 is fixable. I like to tinker with things anyway, so I'm sure I'll be around quite a bit.

Comment

I found this forum while looking for help fixing a dead monitor. Now that I have found it, you can expect that I will be asking for help to identify problems with the multitude of hardware I support.

I work in an enterprise setting with thousands of computers, monitors, printers and other devices ... and with budgets being what they are, I am finding that I have to do more repair work on circuit boards than any time previously.

Comment

I'm BrownG. I have been visiting this forum since many years but did not feel the need to register, till I found out I could not view attached images.

After many years in computers alone, I found out that I'm getting more closer to power circuits, LCD TVs etc. lately. The knowledge here is outstanding. Keep it up guys.

Comment

I was Googleing references to bad caps when I found this. Trying to repair a Samsung Smart TV that has become stupid. I see no one uses real names here, I can't edit mine till I post...so until then...it is an alias. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X