X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello,

New to the forum. I've been fixing my neighbors, friends, family's tv's for years. I found one today on the side of the road and picked it up that I'm going to attempt to repair. I found a good article here from a google search so I thought I'd register. So hello everyone. Thanks for the good posts.

Adam from Denver, NC

Comment

Hi my name is Waylon. I'm currently a Data Analyst with a background in networking and hardware. I spend alot of my time fixing thing that people have thrown to the way side. Like they say, "another mans trash is another mans treasure". I hope this forum is very helpful in expanding my knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi all my names Nathan, I discovered this wonderful forum when looking for answers about my Dell E173fpb which i hope to be repairing this weekend. I've always liked tinkering with electronics hopefully with the knowledge available on here I'll be able to repair more. Thanks Guys.

Comment

I found this forum when I got a Sharp 52" from work (A/V Integrator). It's dead, but the price was right.

This will come in handy when I recap my Pioneer SX-1080 receiver.

Thanks all!

Comment

Hi. As my introduction, let me say I've been doing electronics of all kinds since high school, and that was a long time ago. My first computer was an H-89 from Heathkit. I'm probably one of the few people left in this world that still has a printed copy of HDOS!

I found this forum looking for a schematic for an EeePC 1000h. I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention this but someone, anyone PLEASE take the restriction off the "Contact Us" link. It's next to impossible to talk to someone about an account problem (bad data entered in the registration section) when the web site tells you that you have to login to contact someone, but you can't login because your registration got messed up.

Comment

Hi, My name is Bob. Found some really good info on repairing an Apple 614-0224 power supply on this forum (G4 Tower FW800).

I write a quasi-monthly article on Heathkits, which I often bring back to life (lots of capacitors to replace!) http://www.w6ze.org/Heathkit/Heathkit_Index.html

Has anyone noticed the difficulty buying axial capacitors now-a-days? I recently recapped a National NC-173 receiver with axial caps; a year later I started on another receiver and there were fewer models of axial capacitors available and the prices were much higher; these include electrolytic and mylar/poly capacitors.

This forum is a boon to me. Hope to do some exploring in the forums, and hope I can contribute.

Bob

Comment

Hi all,
                Total noob here, no electrical experience worth mentioning but I have a sound card with some bad caps and after seeing a 12 year old replace caps on a board of some kind I decided "I can do that".
                So here I am.

Comment

Hello forum, I am a retired nerd, having worked in software for over 35 years. Unfortunately software requires hardware to run on, so I have tinkered over the years. Being retired, repairing is cheaper than repurchasing, and more sustainable. I also have the time to do it, if I want.
                  Already I have found this forum friendly and fun.
                  Cheers for now from Australia. BiLLG

Comment

hey my name is Arlet and im from estonia and i wanna learn more about electronics and my main problem is my computer psu witch is driving me nuts.
                    im not here for spamm or do random post

Comment

Hi my name is Brandon and I am here to fix a tv. I have used this site for reference in the past and it is a great resource. It always seems to show in google search results when I am trying to fix things.

Comment

Gday guys! I've signed up to this forum in the hopes of fixing my TV, I had the red sparklies and managed to fix it thanks to the info on here, but a few months later seem to have a different issue (probably cause by me stuffing around in the TV earlier).

Just getting a post in here so I can make my own thread!

Comment

Oh, by the way I am a Network Admin so probably could help out in these areas!

Comment

I am new and brother, I got TV problems for days!

Comment

Sounds good!

Comment

Did you ever get to post your own thread?

Originally posted by Osiris_S13 View Post
                                Gday guys! I've signed up to this forum in the hopes of fixing my TV, I had the red sparklies and managed to fix it thanks to the info on here, but a few months later seem to have a different issue (probably cause by me stuffing around in the TV earlier).

Just getting a post in here so I can make my own thread!

Comment

Hi,
                                  I've been refurbishing and selling TVs (and PCs) since 2002. Just when I was getting familiar with analog CRT televisions, the technology changed. The electronics isn't that different, but my repair guy started charging double, so I let the TV side of my business slide. Imagine a slim 60-year-old man lugging a 32-inch TV all by himself, that's me. An acquaintance once remarked, Oh I didn't recognize you without a television set in your arms. My feet are so worn out, because all that weight I carried had to be compensated by my feet, my ankles, and pushing my toes down. Ten years of warehouse work was what it was. Silly way to make money considering I have 3 two-year tech degrees (Chemistry, Electronics, Mechanical), which turned out to be just an intellectual exercise. I'm not that good at soldering, but I have a well-trained temporary memory, good for remembering screws and undocumented assembly. I'm still trying to acquire a decent-sized flat panel television for my own home. I'll probably diagnose the problem as far as I can go, remove the board module, and ask a local TV repairman to replace the suspected defective component. I don't wanna even think about surface-mounting a 48-pin chip in tight quarters on the board. Not without plenty of space and good equipment. I'm really finicky about having the right tools. I also don't wanna stockpile television parts, which is a big reason I farmed out board work in the past. Tweak the G2/Focus on the flyback, occasionally re-solder a Vertical chip, rotate the CRT yoke to tilt-adjust the picture, that's about the extent of my component/board work. Although I did get skilled at fixing TV/VCR combos--electromechanical problems. I might be bragging, so I'll close. I prefer Linux, but I'll use Windows if necessary. On this forum I'll probably be leeching more than I'm seeding. Thanks for any assistance.

binsonk

Comment

Hello!!! mostachio from NZ here

Comment

It's a sad but JOYFUL day at my house! I joined the group.

I'll explain but first a little about myself, I have taken courses in electronics engineering technology about 35 years back. Since then I have also became an Amature Radio Licensee holding an extra class license (highest class available). I know enough about electronics to get myself into trouble if I am not very cautious with diagnosis. I do not feel I am in any way an electronics technician (too much time has passed since study) and much of what I learned has been lost to time.

Now on to the SAD and JOYFUL part of my post, I'll keep it short to the point. I am disabled, stay at home nearly all the time, and my best friend has become my TV (silly but it works for me). We had a lightning storm and the only thing in the house affected was the TV, it would not power up. I replaced the main board and got everything working but the picture light areas are washed out and dark areas have gone nearly black. Now I am thinking calibration issues since the main board I used to fix the power up issue came from a much larger plasma TV although the part number and suffix is an exact match for my bad main board. Now I am JOYFUL that I found you guys and hope you can provide a little devine inspiration. I NEED MY TV BACK.

Comment

Hi All Members. I love electronics and repairing stuff. Currently working in slightly different profession but still draws me back to tinker with PCB a bit from time to time

Comment

It's a sad but JOYFUL day at my house! I joined the group.

I'll explain but first a little about myself, I have taken courses in electronics engineering technology about 35 years back. Since then I have also became an Amature Radio Licensee holding an extra class license (highest class available). I know enough about electronics to get myself into trouble if I am not very cautious with diagnosis. I do not feel I am in any way an electronics technician (too much time has passed since study) and much of what I learned has been lost to time.

Now on to the SAD and JOYFUL part of my post, I'll keep it short to the point. I am disabled, stay at home nearly all the time, and my best friend has become my TV (silly but it works for me). We had a lightning storm and the only thing in the house affected was the TV, it would not power up. I replaced the main board and got everything working but the picture light areas are washed out and dark areas have gone nearly black. Now I am thinking calibration issues since the main board I used to fix the power up issue came from a much larger plasma TV although the part number and suffix is an exact match for my bad main board. Now I am JOYFUL that I found you guys and hope you can provide a little devine inspiration. I NEED MY TV BACK.

Comment

Working...
                                          X