This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello all... I was given a broken LCD TV to discard. I had heard of bad caps on TVs so did a google search to see what I could find. Your site was the first on the list. Looking at the forum people had already posted everything I needed all the way down to where to buy the caps. You even had the same exact power board I had!!! Once I checked over the site and info I made an account just to say thank you for providing this great site.

Comment

Hi guys, I'm new here . I have searched the internet for fix promblem with tv of my mother-in-law. I'm software developer, but I have studied Embedded system, firmware etc.

Comment

Hi all......I liked the looks of your forum so I just joined.

Comment

hi my name craig plz help

Comment

Hello, Everyone! I'm Bill, and I tinker with everything from cars & trucks to electronics and electrical stuff. I guess I'm a Jack of All Trades. Greetings, everyone!

Comment

Just saying Hi, glad to join this great forum !

Comment

hi guys tv broke plz help thank you

Comment

Hi guys, I have searched the internet for fix problem with PHILIPS tv and I found forum and I like it. I’m from Croatia. I'm embedded system developer, tetra administrator, MCTS, MCSA.

Comment

Hi guys, Robb here. new to the site and just learning about tv repair because mine went out. Love learning new things so hope to get some info here.

Comment

hi guys,

Awesome site. fun to browse and enjoy a lot the info.

Comment

Hey to all,
                        My electronic background is fairly limited, but I HAVE learned to not short out a good cap with any of my body parts. In truth, I was tired of hearing that my problem with (fill in the blank) was likely due to a bad capacitor, or two, and I didn't own a precise enough soldering gun(or skill set) to deal with properly replacing said cap. Being a pack rat, I have now amassed a small pile of things where the caps are suspect, I figure I will start fixing the ones I don't care about with this forum as my guiding light.

What could possibly go wrong?...Looking forward to an enjoyable learning experience.

Thanks for putting this site together.

Gman

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm a big time nerd with a little bit of electronics experience. Once upon a time I studied in the field, but it was so long ago and I've forgotten so much...

Of course, that could be because of all the solder smoke I've inhaled over the years.

Either way, it's good to be here!

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm Dean, a EE who's been bit by the disposable consumer electronics phenomenon. The problem is that I spent a lot of money on my Samsung flat screen and I don't want to throw it away after five years. So, it looks like this is the place to be for a little guidance on getting my tv back! Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

hi my name is ti-pat im from quebec ,i read a lot on the forum and i save a lot of tv from scrap since i do that....long life badcap

Comment

hi im mark from aussie I buy and fix plasmas but have limited knowledge so keep the buying to simple things like caps etc and replacing boards very keen to learn more

Comment

Hello all! I look forward to learning more about electronics and how to fix them! Good luck to all!

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                    Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    A WELCOME to everyone that joins in!!

Peta, ofcourse some advertising would always be helpful to making this a success.... This forum has existed since October 6th 2003, online the first time at about 9:00PM CST. Being a couple days old, atleast there's traffic...

I don't know if this forum will be a huge success or not, I created it out of requests from viewers, so we'll see how many actually join... If it takes off, I'll be tickled pink!! If it flops, I'll simply remove it.

A little about me?!?

HMMM I'll give a little info... I've been in the electronics field since 1991, with experience ranging from TV/VCR repair all the way to industrial electronics for a very large and well known manufacturer. I started in computers in 1994, just for a change and something I thought would be more challenging.... First of all, in the computer field, I AM NOT a number cruncher (programmer) YUK!!!!! I'm a hardware/network guy... I can install any OS, repair and make it work, but sitting and typing code is more boring than watching flies mate!! So I stick to hardware!! I get the 'thrill' from coming up with cures for problems, creative and USEFUL mods (this DOES NOT include neon lights and corny batman windows in my cases)...

Before the VP6 was around, Abit's poster child was the BP6, dual celeron board... Being one of the pioneers to run dual Coppermines in my BP6 was quite a thrill... Then came the VP6, and the dreaded crap cap problem... Thus was born PROJECT:VP6, which is over a year old... It can be viewed at www.kabalsrealm.com/systems/projects/vp6/. That single article ultimately led to badcaps.net and this forum... I was shocked at the publicity it drew...

A little inside info?!?
                                    Well, age?! I'll say late 20's and that's close enough... I enjoy dealing with the computers, all of this is just a hobby these days, so if it did flop, it's no loss... I'm also a car nut... (300ZX!!!)... I also enjoy flying immencely, although, no I don't own an airplane... YET!!! Maybe if I sell off all this computer junk, I could afford one... HEH I own 3 domain names, and host sites for a few friends on this array... Of course they pay me nothing... HMMM Ohh well... Money isn't all... That's about all I think needs to be revealed... If there's something you really need to know about me, ask... The answer all depends on the question you asked...

Anyhow,
                                    Peta, and everyone else that has joined, Welcome to the forums!! Bring some friends with ya!! :roll:
                                    hi all ime mark I have just started to learn about tvs and fixing them or should I say trying to fix them lol so will need loads of help thank you mark

Comment

Hi all
                                      I am another poor sole who has been given a flat screen TV that was about to be junked and found this wonderful website
                                      I have dabbled with electronics for a long time and can't walk past a skip without a quick look to see what treasures might be salvaged :P

Andy

Comment

Hi mark, I just dropped by in this website looking for an answer for technical problem,anyway il just bookmark this for a reference. Thanks

Comment

I'm mark sorry for typo.

Comment

Working...
                                          X