X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

"This thread could get longer than 100 pages"

Now that I'm posting on page 1,630 THAT's funny!

I'm Sal, I hail from the cornfields of Iowa. When I was 10 I had a drawer full of dismantled broken things, and I blew up my first little radio by hooking an AC power cord to the battery terminals when I couldn't find any C cells.

I've learned ... a bit more ... since then, and I'm a full-time graphic designer, AV engineer, technical director and more ... who still tears apart every broken electronic I can; but I've never had any formal education on circuits. So, I can easily spot and replace a blown cap, but I don't really know what the hell I'm doing beyond the basics. Still, I repair anything any everything I can - car repairs, PCs, refrigerators, washers & driers, projectors, monitors, saws and tools, you name it.

I'm glad to absorb your hive knowledge and contribute wherever I might be able to.

And now I've made my first post so bring on the profile details and help with our LCD LED TVs.

Comment

Hi,

I have studied electrical engineering in school, but 99% of knowledge seems to come from hacking stuff apart and reverse engineering.

I mainly am curious about repairing broken electronics and to use that knowledge in designing new devices.

Comment

My username is ZeroPage. I am a retired software engineer. I have a 32 inch Samsung TV Model LN32C450E1DXZA that has died. I am rather fond of it as it was the first flat screen my wife and I purchased back in 2010. That is why I joined this group.

I own an volt meter, oscilloscope, power supply and function generator. I'm trying to teach myself electronics repair at the component level.

I built a Prusa Box Frame 3D printer from parts I ordered on the internet and wood from McLendon Hardware.

I like to read science fiction. I was once an avid scuba diver but I've gotten a little to long in the tooth for diving in the Pacific North West.

I am a big fan of SpaceX.

Comment

Hello !
          I'm Robbie a Telecoms engineer. I like everybody here likes fixing things to save from landfill and to save money and sometimes to to get that fuzzy warm feeling of success (doesn't happen very often!).
          Interested in SMD stuff and how it works aswell as everyday electrical and mechanical things. I've got most basic tools but want to understand more rather than guess work!

Comment

Hello! I'm a home DIY enthusiast. I have a passion to repair things by myself for fun and to learn something. I don't do this for money or any profit just for my pleasure.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I'm Eelco

I'm a volunteer at a repair cafe and was looking for some info when I found this forum.

Comment

hello
                my name is Othmane I am 35 years old and I am from Morocco I am very happy to be a new member to acquire new informations new tricks from the professionals in the field. I came across this forum when I was looking for remove supervisor password on my Thinkpad yoga. I did not study electronics but I like this field I spend a lot of time reading articles on tricks ... I enjoy to solve technical problems by myself. Best regard

Comment

Hi everyone i am a retired manager in the automotive sector but a computernerd since the late 70' done alot of building pc and scripting and gaming (UT99) and founder of the ZSTClan
                  I hope to find some answers here and for the rest one happy reader

Comment

Hello All!
                    My name is Mark, and i run a small computer repair shop in Budapest, Hungary.

I've registered because of a BIOS issue, but briefly checked out the forums and i like it alot! It seems i can find alot of useful information which i can use in my repairs.

Thank you for existing!
                    Much love,
                    Mark

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm from Strasbourg, France.

I'm new at repairing stuff, it all started with an old bass guitar I wanted to mod, failed miserably, tried again, failed again until I finally started to understand what was going on.

I'm now working on old audio stuff as I'm primarily a soundguy (working FOH pays the bills) and I'm starting to love old electronics. It would be amazing if I could fix some stuff on a regular basis, as I have a small collection of broken stuff !

I've registered here to ask for advice about the unit I'm currently working on, and will ask as soon as I'm accepted by the admins.

Thank you for providing all this info for beginners and see you around,

cheers !

Comment

Just registered. I was fortunate or unfortunate to acquire my first AV receiver, a Marantz SR 5012 off Facebook marketplace. The problem with it is that it creates popping and buzzing noises occasionally on all speaker channels. The preouts are clean so I suspect something is wrong with the power going into the amplifier circuitry.

Other than that I have done some minor repairs on power supplies before so I hope this forum can assist me.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                          so my printer broke and after so many dead end solutions, i just ended up in this forum. I had no idea where to start with my printer, but thanks to you now i'm set on the right track.
                          Greetings from Spain

Comment

Hi im loomitz
                            QA Tester, i found some usefull information about some mostfets in this forum thanks.

Comment

Hello everyone, i'm just an hobbyst trying to modify existing pcbs and improve them

Comment

Hello to all,

My user name is northpaw. I'm a retired academic whose hobby has been repairing and improving stereo equipment, although this has broadened at times to include other aging electronics, often due to BadCaps; no wonder I ended up here.

I discovered this forum today while searching for some info on Yec caps (NPW is the series, I think) I found in my Sonance 275 SE power amps. I found a little so far, and hope to find more. The NPW may be non-polar, as suggested by their name and also there use as coupling caps in the Sonance amps.

Comment

Correction to above: I see now the Yec caps are NPM, not NPW; They are 4.7uF/50V, and small enough to be hard to read without desoldering them from a tight board. I could find info here on NPM, which I am thankful for.

Comment

Hi, im Sean

I live in the northeast. Ive been interested in electronics since i was a toddler. I dont do this for a living but just like to tinker

Comment

Hello, Im Jake
                                      Just here to tinker with TVs and have a bit of fun fixing.

Comment

Gidday folks,

I'm Mike. I'm a kiwi living in Brazil who loves old VWs, learning and fixing stuff.

I'm here to try and fix my tv but maybe i'll find the info i need to fix my beloved 1960s Sansui valve amp!

Cheers,

-M.

Comment

I am here to fix my old P4 mobo, that runs win 98se. Just putting my post in here to get access so I can find out some information. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X