Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse LCM22W2 Help (DAC-19M009)

Strange problem I've not come across before:

From completely cold (no power hooked up) I can run DVI or D-sub (using this as a monitor) and it will work great for 3-5 minutes.

Once the monitor 'gets warm' the brightness starts to flutter, as in rapidly dimming and brightening perhaps 30 times per second.

I disassembled the monitor, and inspected the caps. They are the Crapxon capacitors, but none are bulging. I have not read voltage on any of them just yet.

I'm inclined to believe I have a lamp going bad, but I have been unable to locate exactly what kind of lamps I have.

Would it be a good idea for me to replace the Crapxon capacitors anyway?

I have the following on the board:

(1) 400v 120uF on its side
    (3) 25v 220uF
    (1) 25v 330uF
    (1) 10v 2200uF
    (1) 50v 22uF
    (1) 10v 1000uF
    (2) 25v 1000uF ( one is also on its side)

I apologize if the pics are of low quality (taken via cell phone)

Appreciate any information you can give!
    Attached Files

Re: Westinghouse LCM22W2 Help (DAC-19M009)

Note also that if I leave the system powered up while fluttering, it will stay on indefinitely. As soon as I power it off, however, the system shows the current input in the upper right corner, a completely black screen, and powers down within 2 seconds.

Comment

Caps do NOT HAVE TO BULGE to be bad. Either read their ESR or replace them. The fact that it goes off after a few minutes points to something failing, likely due to heat, and caps are a prime suspect, so yes, replace them anyway if you don't have an ESR meter to verify if they are good or not. Being this is an LCD screen and the backlight is what is causing the problem, it seems obvious the problem area is the backlight inverter circuit area. Furthermore, the issue could be caused by failure of the PWM regulators on the inverter, or a short in the high voltage output of the inverter, though I suspect the caps or regulators first.

Another step is to use a cooling fan to isolate the area that is failing. Try to cool an area and see if it works longer. If not, move to another area. Find the area causing the problem and report back.

Comment

ah, how do I test for ESR?

Comment

You need a ESR tester. It costs anywhere from $40 to $70. It is cheaper to replace the caps especially if they are 4 years or older.

Originally posted by Doward
          ah, how do I test for ESR?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Alright, do I need low ESR caps all around on these?

Comment

its a switchmode PSU, so yes.
              i see C(r)apxon KF and some green Taicons.. i'd replace all of them except the primary filter cap (the big fat 400+V one ..those rarely fail..)

would be easier to suggest replacement caps if you specified the size (dia x length).
              plus the series for the taicon's and if there are other capxon series than KF, those too..

edit: rule of thumb:
              a failed cap does not always bulge, but a bulging cap has always failed.
              Last edited by Scenic; 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM.

Comment

(1) 400v 120uF - 31.3mm tall x 18.2mm diameter / 0621(M) 105C - (AQ)P
                (3) 25v 220uF - 12.6mm tall x 8.25mm diameter / CapXon KF P620 Vent
                (1) 25v 330uF - 15mm tall x 8.31mm diameter / 0613(M) 105C - (HD)P
                (1) 10v 2200uF - 20.4mm tall x 13.2mm diameter / CapXon KF P608 Vent
                (1) 50v 22uF - 11.95mm tall x 5.22mm diameter / GL 105C P616
                (2) 25v 1000uF ( one is also on its side) - 20.78mm tall x 10.58mm diameter / CapXon KF P620 Vent
                (1) 10v 1000uF - 17.11mm tall x 10.28mm diameter / 0619 (M) - the rest is behind the cap next to it, so I can't tell what else it may read.

If I can locate a replacement, I'd like to replace the primary filter cap as well, just to eliminate it being a problem - unless there's more going on there than I know about!

How do I go about checking the transformers on the inverter side of things?

I appreciate all the help, guys!

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...st+transformer

How do I go about checking the transformers on the inverter side of things?
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What kind of ESR am I looking at needing on these caps? Digikey seems to only list compatible ones as 'General Purpose'

For instance, a 338-1706-ND from CDE has an ESR of 180 mOhm, but is listed as 'General Purpose'

Just want to make certain I order the correct caps!

Comment

Stick with Panasonic FM series like

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12379-ND

or Rubycon (from this site) or United Chemi-con.

What kind of ESR am I looking at needing on these caps?
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Use Panasonic or Nichicon low esr caps.

How to use the search engine on digikey to get the best results with the most options:
                        Click in the search block, and leaving it empty, press enter.
                        Scroll down to Capacitors heading.
                        Click Aluminum.
                        Select the capacitance and voltage rating. Select the In Stock checkbox.
                        Click Apply Filters.
                        Select Panasonic and Nichicon in the manufacturer list (use the Ctrl + click method to select multiples)
                        Click Apply Filters.
                        Select the sizing options, through-hole or surface mount, temperature rating (choose all of the 105degC or better max temp options for power supplies), and Radial or Axial to fit your application.
                        Click Apply Filters. Click View Page. If you ended up with not enough options, click back and remove some of the filters. Click Apply Filters and then View Page. If you have too many options, go back and add filters.
                        Note: Radial means the legs are both on the same side of the cap, axial means the legs come out of opposing ends. Lead spacing has to do with the space between the 2 legs. Sometimes it's important to get it right (height restrictions), sometimes not.

Mouser is similar, but they don't have quite the filtering capabilities...

Comment

Ok, so provided my lead spacing is correct, here's what I'm looking at ordering:

(1) 400v 120uF - Still searching... - United Chemi-con makes the exact sized one I need, but in 350v!
                          (3) 25v 220uF - P12383-ND - (Panasonic FM series)
                          (1) 25v 330uF - P12387-ND - (Panasonic FM series)
                          (1) 10v 2200uF - P12357-ND - (Panasonic FM series)
                          (1) 50v 22uF - P12927-ND - (Panasonic FM series)
                          (2) 25v 1000uF - P12379-ND - (Pansonic FM series)
                          (1) 10v 1000uF - P12353-ND - (Panasonic FM series)

I'm assuming the FM series are all low enough ESR to work?
                          Last edited by Doward; 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Yes.

I'm assuming the FM series are all low enough ESR to work?
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Alright, I'll check lead spacing requirements tonight or tomorrow, as well as check out how the bulbs in there look.

I figure that odd fluttering is most likely noise - either via bad cap or bad lamp (or both)

Comment

Just verified lead spacing, and all is correct!

I would still like to replace that 400v 120uF cap (the primary filter, I take it?) - any ideas?

Comment

yeah.. that big fat cap is the primary filter. cleans up the DC coming from the rectifier right next to it (the black box without text on top)..

closest i found on digikey is 565-1469-ND (United Chemi-Con KXG)
                                  but that's a 100uF cap.. not 120uF.. :|

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ds=565-1469-ND
                                  Last edited by Scenic; 07-03-2010, 06:12 AM.

Comment

How important is the capacitance on the primary filter?

Comment

It should match exactly or it can be roughly 20% higher. In terms of size, it is hard to tell from the initial picture, but you can go a bit taller and *maybe* a bit wider.

You can also go up in voltage, but higher voltage caps are usually bigger.

How important is the capacitance on the primary filter?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I am working on the motherboard of the same monitor and all this info is really helping. I have 3 bulging caps. I am hoping this forum will help me figure out what I need exactly and how to replace it. However, my main problem is that my button set is messed up. Does anyone know where I can order a new one? Google search has produced nothing.

#s on button set:
                                        A220Z1-Z01-P-K
                                        E78604
                                        LY594V
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X