Toshiba projection Model TZ55V61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba projection Model TZ55V61

I have a Toshiba Tz55v61 that i know is old but i cant find anything i like better even now so here is its issue's A friend give it to me some time back it had what i thought to be a convergence problem because of the screen slightly squeezing together at the bottom ,

It would also take spells of turning itself off and wouldnt come back on unless i unplugged it and replugged it , at that time i didnt have time to fix it so i took it to a local guy and he corrected the issue's Said it was just bad connection's at that time.

More recently we got hit with a bad snow storm and lost power for several days and when power came back on the unit had a definite convergence problem had left side of screen would be double vision and wouldnt adjust in the convergence menu.

So i ordered two new chips off ebay (STK392-110) and put them in myself which was really no problem at all and cleared up the convergence problem right away , BUT i have an issue that the unit is turning itself off again i have unsoldered and resoldered the chips three times now thinking it was a mistake i made but I made sure i done everything right the first time,

on this unit you can turn it upside down and get to the solder points in the IC chips and i have done that aswell looked for issue's and cant find any , OOh by the way i used quick silver on the back of the chips to make good contact with the heat sinks , Is it possible i got a bad chip

I know this is an older unit but want to keep it as i cant find anything i like better .

Oooh by the way i forgot to mention that i can unplug the 36V/Gnd/+18v/-18v black connector from power supply and the Tv will power on and stay on aslong as you want to watch it no turning itself off but as you all know the convergence is gone way out of whack then ,
    Last edited by Gary; 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM.

Re: Toshiba projection Model TZ55V61

toshiba sets of that era were usually full of bad solder joints.time to go through it.
    most stick out like a sore thumb.or just resolder anything that is big,heavy,mounted to a heatsink,or runs hot.

Comment

and resolder connectors on the board(s) - that's common on loads of stuff.

Comment

and you will find blown fuse or two. Reason: one wire jumper on the signal board near the STK 392-110 is opening and voltage go unbalanced and blow the fuse. That means must pull BOTH boards.

Yes, what a pain for that chassis.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Havnt found any bad fuse's but would think you could be right in some way about voltage going unbalanced but i dont see anything its like it is heating up and turning off , But i did check the heat of the IC chips right after it had kicked off a couple times in a row and didnt think they felt hot at all ,, so i dont know if they are the issue but i seem to think something has to be wrong . with where i worked because of the problem comeing up after the chips were installed .

If you are refering to the solid wires that run up through the board then i also was very carefull not to unsolder them when i replaced the chips but will unsolder and resolder them again and post back with results ,

ooh i mentioned that i used quicksilver was said wrong i used arctic Silver,

Originally posted by Wizard
          and you will find blown fuse or two. Reason: one wire jumper on the signal board near the STK 392-110 is opening and voltage go unbalanced and blow the fuse. That means must pull BOTH boards.

Yes, what a pain for that chassis.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Ok i checked all solder points that i made again and checked all fuses i could find which was 5 im thinking of changeing them one at a time with the one i thought was good which was the one in the V slot and see if that solves it , or if you could a little more detail about the one wire jumper.

Comment

The condition of solder LOOKS good but it is bad. This little jumper wire is around one of inductor coil (looks like a can) near a edge. That's left of the convergence ampifiers.

For this reason I *resolder* whole signal board and easier for me to instruct that to anyone. The pair of fuses is brown square cross section type and are near edge up front hidden from view because of capacitor forest on the deflection/power supply board. That is why I wanted you to pull BOTH boards out and on the bench under good light.

Oh yeah, be careful dropping or slamming that power supply/defection board. This is how I shattered the 5V standby transformer's core. My fix was a complete 5V standby circuit on it's own PCB cut from a old samsung projector board mounted to one side wall on standoffs (properly done) with 4 wires flying to the deflection/power supply.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Thanks wizard will be working on that tomorrow nite but i did find that on the bottom of the board on the convergence chip the fifth prong over goes to the 30v connection on the board i noticed when TV cuts off i can remove the power cord from the outlet and it has a power buildup kinda like a capacitor (if) you bleed that power off you can reconnect power and it will come straight back on and work for a few minutes ,

I need to find why this is doing that because that is most likely what caused the convergence chip to go bad in the beginning. the prong i am refering to if you held the chip in your hand with black part of it faceing you and prongs pointed down would be the fifth prong from the left.is there a resistor supposed to cut that voltage down or bleed it off in some way? and if so do you know what one it is , I assume it is between the 30v plug and the Convergence chip.

Comment

Not that. Pull the boards. and take a good photo of the area I mentioned on that area on solder side.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I took a couple photo's my net connection is very bad since the storm hasnt been fixed if you need better pics let me know this board is to the right of my convergence chips if you are behind the TV , I noticed some solder points apparently from the repair from the local guy they seem to have some flux around them also i cant get the red wire out of top so i had to take the pic on a blanket the one i cant get out has a arrow drawn to it on the pic's and runs over to the color and focus board on the right side front of the TV ,

If this isnt the part of the board you needed let me know ill upload different pics,

Thanks in advance
                    Gary.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Since the picture above i have went over and resoldered almost everything on that board put it back in and still a no go actually it seems to be worse as if a resistor wasnt makeing a good connection before and now it is. Meaning by makeing it get a better connection it doesnt it kicks as soon as i connect the power cord and doesnt come on at all unless the power supply to the IC's is disconnected,

Comment

Hey guys i wanted to take a second to run everything down and thank everyone especially Wizard . I have my TV fixed now the problem was a bad Vertical ic chip sent to me bad from the dealer ,

Thanks for the help to everyone.

Comment

Excellent.

B & D is best source for power ICs like this and quick shipping.

You must change 100uF or 220uF pump up cap, this is what clobbers vertical ICs same with solder joint cracking.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Hi Gary,

I have the same problem as you. Glad to hear you were able to fix it. What is the model number of the vertical IC and where did you purchase it? How much did you pay for the chip?

I am in the same boat in terms of liking the TV and wanting to fix it myself. Thanks in advance for the help.

Best
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            X