X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio E70u-D3

Originally posted by darkfinger View Post
    Most likely!
    Yea, that would be my guess as well.. It's a tricky procedure and, at the risk of sounding condescending, you can take SOME comfort in knowing you can do an LED replacement without cracking the screen..

I am not sure if you do this for a living or if this was just a one off for personal "consumption" (so to speak)...

If you do it for a living then every project is a learning experience, even the failed ones.. Actually, ESPECIALLY the failed ones...

I don't mean to sound blase' about it. Believe me I have been there more times than I want to count..

Wish it had gone better for ya...

Comment

Yeah, I don't do this for a living. I've repaired a few for family and friends but I obviously don't have a clue what I'm doing. I appreciate the support you've provided!

I did replace the tcon today and as you expected it didn't make any difference. I do think it's the tabs on the sides that I messed up. Is there any final step you might suggest before I pack it all up for the recycler?

Comment

Yeah, I don't do this for a living. I've repaired a few for family and friends but I obviously don't have a clue what I'm doing. I appreciate the support you've provided!
        Glad to help.. I get so much help from everyone here with very little opportunity to give back.. It's a thrill and a half for me to actually be able to give credible assistance.. I am a pygmy amongst giants here but it's nice to have relevant experience now and again..

And don't sell yerself short.. You are far from clueless. Even ATTEMPTING such an undertaking is a huge leap forward..

I remember when I started I was PETRIFIED of taking even the simplest of electrical/voltage reading.. Now I am flitting around Plasma voltages left and right.. And I would always write off LED/LCD problems as un-fixable... So yer way ahead of the curve in that regard...

As I mentioned, the fact that you were able to take such a large panel off and get it back on without a crack?? On yer first try!? Phenomenal!!

I did replace the tcon today and as you expected it didn't make any difference. I do think it's the tabs on the sides that I messed up. Is there any final step you might suggest before I pack it all up for the recycler?
        Well, if yer not a regular at this, scavenge the components and sell them on EBAY... You learn a lot about TV disassembly and the relationship of parts to one another and make a few bucks ta boot..

It was a pleasure working with ya...

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post

It was a pleasure working with ya...
          Likewise.

BTW, it does look like the problem seems to be most obviously the two top left tabs. One of them has an extremely hot IC. What happens if I pull the tabs off?

Comment

Likewise.

BTW, it does look like the problem seems to be most obviously the two top left tabs. One of them has an extremely hot IC. What happens if I pull the tabs off?
            While unlikely, it's POSSIBLE (ever so slightly) it may improve your issues..

At this point, there ain't much to lose, eh?

Comment

well the "hail mary" is to remove that tabs along the side that is in trouble for other parts that are trying to drive the panel. NOTE this is the LAST RESORT as there is no way to put them back.

BUT first, let's make sure you understand what a "tab" is. It is the thin brown tape going to the panel and is stuck to the panel. I say this because you appear to be using the word "tab" quite alot when referring to cables which are "clampable"... those are NOT tabs.

Anyways, based on the pictures that you have posted, the tabs of interest are along the left side of the panel (looking at the front). There is probably 5-6 tabs if there are no side edge boards. Those tabs are similar to the "u" cables that you unclamped between the bottom edge boards... but these tabs only run from the panel to the panel interconnecting tracks on the panel itself. Hope this gets you further. They are located on the side and NOT the bottom of the panel.
              Last edited by budwich; 09-14-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                well the "hail mary" is to remove that tabs along the side that is in trouble for other parts that are trying to drive the panel. NOTE this is the LAST RESORT as there is no way to put them back.

BUT first, let's make sure you understand what a "tab" is. It is the thin brown tape going to the panel and is stuck to the panel. I say this because you appear to be using the word "tab" quite alot when referring to cables which are "clampable"... those are NOT tabs.

Anyways, based on the pictures that you have posted, the tabs of interest are along the left side of the panel (looking at the front). There is probably 5-6 tabs if there are no side edge boards. Those tabs are similar to the "u" cables that you unclamped between the bottom edge boards... but these tabs only run from the panel to the panel interconnecting tracks on the panel itself. Hope this gets you further. They are located on the side and NOT the bottom of the panel.
                What he said ^^^^

Comment

My boss gave me one of these tvs for free the other day because they were replacing them and im pretty sure this is what is wrong with it. It would make sense that the phosphorus would burn out because it has been used for for 2 years straight for 12 to 16 hours a day. I have never attempted any kind of tv repair and im not sure if i should but how much do you think it would cost to get this problem fixed by a pro?

Comment

Its time consuming in terms of getting access. The actual "operation" of isolating which side has a problem is relatively quick assuming the tcon card is functional as the problem does take out the card which then needs to be repaired.

Depending on how "active" the repair shop is (in the "know" / "on-line grazing"), you might get by with a 2-3 hour charge plus parts (if necessary to fix the card). They may "balk" on doing anything other than say its a "panel problem" if they haven't done one before. They may indicate that they won't "guarantee" the attempt.

If you have the space to get at the set and some help manipulating it, it readily doable by most "rocket scientists"... :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X