e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Just to update, new motherboard fixed my no picture issue. And i used a rev 1.2 in place of my rev 1.1 with no issue.

Comment

Good to hear! At least it wasn't the panel.
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Hello, first timer here.

I was gifted one of these screens with the same problem described so many times here. I'm up for doing the surgery on it and fixing it (if possible). I've been looking for the RTR020N05 transistor to replace the one on that board but all I can find is a RTR020N05TL. I don't know anything about the value of these transistors and am wondering if the TL will make a difference or if I should look for another regular RTR020N05.

Also, I noticed that several of you bought 10 or 20 of them. If you have any left over, would you be willing to sell me some?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello, first time here also.

Thanks a million to freakaftr8 and others. I followed the steps exactly, replaced the transistor and removed the drivers. In my case, the failure was on the left side of the panel. And now everything looks great!!!

Comment

Okay, I've read the steps. Am I to understand that once I identify which driver is causing the problem, I simply remove it and replace the transistor all is good?

Just want to know as much as possible before I begin.

Comment

Originally posted by huron View Post
              Hello, first time here also.

Thanks a million to freakaftr8 and others. I followed the steps exactly, replaced the transistor and removed the drivers. In my case, the failure was on the left side of the panel. And now everything looks great!!!

huron,
              What make/model/part # of transistor did you use? I'm having a hard time finding the right one for this repair.

Comment

Originally posted by dfireball View Post
                huron,
                What make/model/part # of transistor did you use? I'm having a hard time finding the right one for this repair.
                DigiKey didn't have in stock the transistor that everyone was talking about so I used RTR030N05TL which is rated at 3A instead of 2A.

Comment

DigiKey didn't have in stock the transistor that everyone was talking about so I used RTR030N05TL which is rated at 3A instead of 2A.
                  Awesome!! I was wondering if that one would work because I also can't find the same one everyone else has used. Thanks!

Comment

Yes you could use a 3 amp should be no problem. But in case of a short your tcon may not survive it may take out other components. Similar to replacing a fuse with a higher amperage.
                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-11-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

First time here, Can I assume the same Issues and screen set-up on a E601i-a3? I mean as far as the side drivers and troubleshooting pro cedures? Just picked this thing up, and dont know the history to it,, no pic, has backlight,and sound,,, Tcon is bad, appears it was replaced, lots of missing screws.....not a good sign.. but, I cant seem to find the side drivers or the small ribbon to disconnect to try to troubleshhot it, once I repair / replace the tcon... any thoughts??

Comment

So, we having been using this MONSTER in place of our old 55 and so far we love it! Except for one thing....

The color and picture on this TV is fantastic, but the blacks and very dark colors are...odd. The blacks (when they cover large portions of the screen) almost look pixelated? It almost looks like its something not in HD when there are a lot of dark scenes.

This is the best example I could find online. Does this make sense to anyone?

Comment

This is probably mainboard related. It wouldn't hurt to also clean the LVDS cable with a pencil eraser on both sides. The pixelated blacks seemed to be another conundrum with this model and that's usually main board related

Comment

Interesting. I'll see if my better half can live with it, otherwise I'll try and source a main board. Is it a guaranteed fix?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                              Yes you could use a 3 amp should be no problem. But in case of a short your tcon may not survive it may take out other components. Similar to replacing a fuse with a higher amperage.
                              Freak,

Am I to understand that once I identify the bad driver, I simply leave it disconnected and the set should work just fine?

Comment

No, you cannot cannot leave it disconnected. It will load down the panel and one side will be darker than the other. It has to be completely removed according to my pics on the beginning of the post.

Comment

No, you cannot cannot leave it disconnected. It will load down the panel and one side will be darker than the other. It has to be completely removed according to my pics on the beginning of the post.
                                  Okay, so identify the bad driver and completely remove it from the screen. Thats it?

Comment

Huron, do you still have any of them left over I could buy from you? I'm having such a hard time finding the correct transistor for this fix.

Comment

Originally posted by dfireball View Post
                                      Okay, so identify the bad driver and completely remove it from the screen. Thats it?
                                      Yes, that's it

Comment

Ok here's some pictures ranging from the beginning to the end result. The only picture I do not have is disconnecting the flat white ribbon cable from the side boards that connect to the bottom boards of the panel. But if you have the back off and you're looking at the side of the screen at the bottom sandwiched between the metal frame you will see where the white ribbon cable connects to the bottom of the side drivers.

The first picture shows you what the screen look like after I disconnected the flat white ribbon cable.

The second picture shows you pulling away the frame to access the side tab driver boards.

The third picture is showing those driver boards with the tabs pulled off the panel.

The 4th picture shows you a close up of one of the tabs pulled from the panel but the board still connected to the panel.

The fifth picture shows you the screenshot of what you're seeing after you remove those defective tab drivers.

The sixth picture shows you another screenshot of just the fifth driver download from the panel.

The seventh picture shows you the original problem.

The 8th picture shows you the defective transistor. The last picture is the end result.

Your pics look almost identical to what I see on my screen. Hoping I get the same final results. Just not sure how to determine which side to remove. Are they easy to take off? Do they need to be heated first? Not sure how to begin.

Comment

Freakaft8, I think I screwed the pooch!
                                          I followed all the steps, replaced the transistor, pulled the right ribbon cable and powered it up. Right away, I got the V picture but it was towards the bottom of the screen. This TV was a gift so I had never seen anything come on except the backlighting. Any who... When I saw that V I got excited and peeled off the driver board on the right. I think I peeled off the wrong side! Now, the picture is very bad, and begin to fade when I turn it on, beginning at the left of the screen.

Is there anything I can do or did I just destroy my screen? Sucks!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X