Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung PN51D550C1F died, won't turn on, clicking

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    It's possible that the board you got was defective. The fact that you saw a picture is encouraging.
    It could be Tom. I just don't know how I would tell if it was bad. It worked for a few seconds. I noticed on the backside that there were two wires that someone had soldered on to something I guess to fix something. It was weird there was silicone on the wires globbed on for some reason. I think this is the reason I got my money back.

These boards are so scarce I have no idea where to find one. This board had the exact same configuration as mine, except it was stamped DF instead of DFG and was a lower revision number. It apparently came from the same model of TV as well; I have seen pictures of my model with the back removed showing this board inside.

It might have been defective, but something made it go boom. And I have no idea where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinju View Post
      450 and 550 have major xmain issues. Did you update your firmware prior to you old one going out?

Once you get it up and running make sure if you have not done so, UPDATE that firmware to the latest. Supposedly it supposed to help with some flaw that caused extra voltage to be sent or something along those lines not sure but seems that people have reported doing the update after a xmain repair and their panels have been going strong ever since.
      Yes they do. No I didn't update, as I didn't know one was supposed to.

I will indeed update the firmware if this thing ever gets working again. Do you have any links to that info about extra voltage?

I'm thinking that if this new one blew, something else is happening. Maybe.

Comment

Looks like Samsung removed the announcement for the 550 series but the update is still here.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...PN51D550C1FXZA

I just did swaped in a new xmain for a 450 and the announcement is still posted for it and upgraded the firmware from 1.4 to 1.6 <-- special fix firmware.

Comment

On a totally unexpected and happy note, I was in a different city this weekend. As I was leaving, I did a random search on a used selling site. Lo and behold, some poor bloke had the exact same TV as mine, expect one of his kids broke the screen by releasing a Wii remote at an inopportune time.

Got it home, cracked it open, plugged it in, and seems to work; no clicking at least, and a couple of voltage tests seemed ok.

Question: I am planning on swapping out all of the boards and cables. I don't want to blow anything up again. Good idea?

As well, shopjimmy can't always be trusted with their parts mantra. This tv has an x main in it that is WIDELY available, but according to them, would not work in my TV. So phooey to that lol. I waited and wasted many months and many hours trying to track down the EXACT same x main, when in fact I could have literally bought hundreds of the one in this unit.

Comment

Looks like Samsung removed the announcement for the 550 series but the update is still here.

I just did swaped in a new xmain for a 450 and the announcement is still posted for it and upgraded the firmware from 1.4 to 1.6 <-- special fix firmware.
            Pray tell for this dummy, how would I upgrade my firmware? Thanks.

Comment

The instructions for firmware update will be with the firmware downloaded--or on the same page.

Involves loading on a suitably prepared USB stick and following instructions from the maker of the set...

BTW--Trying to use a set--with a cracked screen (As you did when you bought the broken one)--Can damage X-Main or Y-Main in the set....
              TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
              http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
              PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Usually X-main and Y-main survive. Y-buffer survives about 30% of the time.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

thanks for the x and y main thoughts. of course, the original owner tried to get it to work before i got it....what parts do you guys recommend i swap out? since i do not know where the short is that fried my two previous x main boards, i am thinking of swapping pretty much everything including wires, in case they some how got fried..

your thoughts are truly appreciated. thanks

Comment

I would swap X-main, Y-main & Main Logic Control (smaller green board)

Test both your Y-buffers as shown in the video (original and new):
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51SZsfH60EY

If you get beeps/shorts = board is bad, discard it.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ok, changed the x main, y main, logic board, y buffer, x buffer. Good thing, tom66, I checked the y buffer on machine i bought. I got a few shorts on it, but mine was good!

The tv powered up, and you could see the glow. However, I cannot seem to get any pictures, etc. I am a bit stuck. I don't hear the start up chime, nor do I know where to go from here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Well, screw meself, IT IS WORKING! I had some shytey little cord not plugged into the bottom of the y main, but thanks to plugging in my laptop with Peaky Blinders into the HDMI, I got sound, but no picture. Then I looked and even though I had double checked, I had not plugged in that cord. BOOM. Peaky in all its' glory.

Thanks so much tom66 and everyone else. I hope my luck continues.

PS. Watch Peaky Blinders if you haven't yet. Awesome show set in Birmingham post WW1.

Comment

Now, immediately update the firmware so you do not get a repeat failure!

Comment

ok, now gotta figger that out lol.

Comment

My tv was manufactured Nov 2011, and on samsung website, the only firmware i can find is from Aug 2011. Assuming my tv has this already.

I am wondering if the firmware from the UK site would work http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/PS51D530A5WXZG or from this mediafire site from avsforum http://www.mediafire.com/download/15...T-MST4AUSC.zip from the thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...thread-64.html
                              Last edited by ehboy; 11-04-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

If the firmware is older, the TV will simply refuse to update - no risk in trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                  If the firmware is older, the TV will simply refuse to update - no risk in trying it.
                                  the firmware on the samsung site is older than what i have installed now.

Comment

Its possible someone updated it before you! Now go watch some TV!

Comment

Its possible someone updated it before you! Now go watch some TV!
                                      Samsung tech says I have the highest firmware. Stupid that their site has a lower version tho. Says something about their support level. No one updated it cuz I was original owner lol. Onwards and upwards. Thanks Shinju for your support.

Comment

Sometimes, if a tech has looked at the unit/repaired they have access to firmware updates that are not accessible to the general public.

Enjoy and you are welcome!

Comment

Sometimes, if a tech has looked at the unit/repaired they have access to firmware updates that are not accessible to the general public.

Enjoy and you are welcome!
                                          No, I mean online tech support. No one besides me has messed with this baby. There are no firmware upgrades they have that are not available to the GP in this case. Toodles.

Comment

Working...
                                          X