Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PN50B400P3D 50" Samsung Plasma Won't Turn On.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PN50B400P3D 50" Samsung Plasma Won't Turn On.

Ok. I'd try pulling the Y-main and X-main boards and doing some tests on the components. I like to check some of the heat sink components on these Samsungs to see if any of the transistors or diodes have failed:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=11
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Ok, I pulled all the boards. I checked all the transistors & diodes. I'm not sure what exact readings I'm looking for but they all read about the same, .500 in one or two directions & open on the others, with a few exceptions. The only thing that seemed usual is Q5304 the first transistor on the top right heat sink of the Y main read OL in all directions. Q5501 also from the Y main read (pin count from the top of the board, first number positive, second negative)1-2 OL, 1-3 1.8, 2-1 OL, 2-3 OL, 3-2 .580, 3-1.937. These readings were above everything else.

This is on the Y main, it looks like it has been warm ( board is discolored on the top) but seemed to read ok.

I cleaned some dirt of the back of the boards. and put it back together

Plugged it in & no change. I started programing codes into a universal remote & got it to turn on finally. The screen flashed zig zagged white for a split second then went black. I have sound & the power light flickers red.

So as of now, I have sound but no picture & it's not responding to the side control buttons.

Comment

I'd try the self test again on the control board if you're getting some light from the panel.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Alright, I tried the self test again. It turns on by it's self now, it does the samsung sounds & then audio from my movie. No change in the picture. The power light on the front blinks for about 10 seconds then goes out. I reconnected the LVDS cable, removed the jumper, plugged the TV back in & it acts the exact same way as it did while preforming the control board test.

Comment

tom66, capkid, Whats your gut calls? I don't like throwing parts at something, at the same time, I have $40 in this project. I also have a good understanding of percentages & odds, that's why I find myself in this situation.

Comment

White flicker usually means the control board has started trying to initialise the plasma panel but failed. This can be either Y-main or X-main. The buffer is usually good if you see a flicker. It's recommended to replace both Y- and X-main boards simultaneously due to how they share an energy recovery circuit. Repair of these boards, whilst not impossible, is unlikely to be economically sensible. The boards are available cheap.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom, I've checked around ebay, shopjimmy, etc... and can find a Xmain for about $35 but the cheapest Y-main(BN96-12390A) is about $100, if it's in stock. Is that about normal?

Comment

Are you searching LJ4..... number or PN50B400?

Comment

I was using BN96-12390A & LJ92-01689A. I've just tried LJ41-07016A, still nothing under $100 in stock. A lot of stores list them anywhere from 50-70 but its out of stock.

Comment

If it helps that is a clue that board is a common fault.

Comment

I suppose so . I'll watch for one to show up for a little less for a while & then post back when I put some new boards in it. Thanks for the all the advice.

Comment

That's an expensive Y-main for one of these thin Samsungs. Since you mentioned $100, I'm assuming you saw this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-LJ92...item43bfdc7113
                          LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Yeah, I will give it to him that it's about the only one available on the internet right now but I'll wait a week or two & see what shows up.

Comment

I've got new X & Y mains today. The X main numbers match exactly, the Y-main matches except for the PBA Rev. The old one is AA2, the new one is AA3. The Rev No matches R1.3. Will the new one work?

Comment

Comment

That should be fine.

Comment

Well, I replaced the X & Y-mains with factory new boards & no change. The tv still turns on, flashes static with pink around the edges for a second & then blank with sound. I tried the control board test again with the same results.What else could it be? Thanks

Comment

Plasma panel? Power supply board? Buffers? How do you tell if it's a bad plasma panel? That's the only thing that concerns me, I can replace about every other board & break even on the project.

Comment

A panel that lights up repeatedly is not cracked so not bad (excluding vertical bar problems, but that wouldn't stop a picture from appearing.)
                                        I would try checking the -Vsc and Ve voltages.

Comment

My meter is set at 200v DCV
                                          VE is to be a 89. VE reads 89 for 4 seconds & then starts to drop. VSC is to be -193. It does not read at all(0.00). I tried it 4 times with meter in place before plugging the TV in.

while I was at it I checked Va & Vs on the PSB
                                          VA to be 55 Vs to be 209
                                          They both read their correct values on initial start up but jump around quite a bit & start to fall after 1 second or so.

Comment

Working...
                                          X