50HP66 Toshiba TV Turns On & Off And Wont Stay On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50HP66 Toshiba TV Turns On & Off And Wont Stay On

We got this TV for free and it was working fine for the most part up until about a month ago. I haven't really had time to do anything about it til recently. Before it stopped working completely it would turn on and off until it warmed up, we'd speed this up by using a hair drying and point it towards the capacitors.

Well long story short, it finally went off one day while my wife was watching it, and it....never turned back on! :O

Since then I've taken the back off of it and played with the voltage nobs (to no avail sadly) on it, and checked out all the capacitors on it. None of them are bulged or burnt looking. Anyone have any ideas about what it could be? I'm not afraid to solder or take anything apart on it, I've done soldering before and it's not that bad. If it's gonna cost me like $1000 I'll just put it to the curb.

I've uploaded a couple of photos for you guys to help, let me know if you need anything else. The first one is of what the TV looks like if it manages to stay on long enough to get a picture. It doesn't say "please wait thank you for your patience" anymore before it turns on. The second one is the Power Supply Board. The third is the lights that turn on in the back before it turns off. The one off by itself near the bottom flickers the whole time it's on.
    Attached Files

Re: 50HP66 Toshiba TV Turns On & Off And Wont Stay On

Are any LEDs lit on the front of the TV when it's plugged in? Also, with the TV unplugged, check the white ceramic fuses for continuity on the Y-Sustain and Z-Sustain boards with a multimeter. If you're unsure, the Y-Sus is the big board with large heat sinks to the left of the power supply, and the Z-Sus is the board with large heat sinks to the right of the power supply.

Edit: Be careful adjusting the voltage knobs. Those voltages have to be fine-tuned to the panel specifications, and incorrectly adjusting them could cause problems.
    Last edited by capkid; 08-15-2013, 10:25 PM.
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I have that exact TV here with the Y-sustain board broken,if you guy's need any comparing voltage etc from power supply or anything let me know and I will be more then willing to supply the readings from my TV....Can't give you any technical advise as I'm a noob.But would gladly try and do something back for the excellent advise on this forum...
      Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by martino View Post
        I have that exact TV here with the Y-sustain board broken,if you guy's need any comparing voltage etc from power supply or anything let me know and I will be more then willing to supply the readings from my TV....Can't give you any technical advise as I'm a noob.But would gladly try and do something back for the excellent advise on this forum...
        Have you resolved the issues with your Toshiba? If not, and you want to start a separate thread, I'd be willing to help if I can. I've worked on three of these 50" Toshibas and a ton of similar 50" LG-based TVs. Others here have a fun under their belts, also.
        Last edited by capkid; 08-15-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I'm still on the hunt for a Y-sustain board....I wasen't trying to hijack this threat,more offering to help if you need a similar TV to get readings from

Comment

I'm still on the hunt for a Y-sustain board....I wasen't trying to hijack this threat,more offering to help if you need a similar TV to get readings from
            Have you attempted to repair your existing Y-Sus?

Comment

The big IC units under the big cooling blocks are toast,heard it's a bit of a beaver to unsolder etc..priced the IC's out,came to 95 bucks,Complete board 130..
              If you like I could start a new thread and we can discuss mine if you want??
              I feel like I'm hijacking odins thread here,and don't wanna do that to him

Comment

The big IC units under the big cooling blocks are toast,heard it's a bit of a beaver to unsolder etc..priced the IC's out,came to 95 bucks,Complete board 130..
                If you like I could start a new thread and we can discuss mine if you want??
                I feel like I'm hijacking odins thread here,and don't wanna do that to him
                Yeah, that's what I mentioned a few posts ago: You can start a new thread so we can address your issue. Anyway, it looks like someone in Canada is offering a repair service. If that complete board for $130 isn't a new board, I wouldn't touch it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YSUS-Board-6...item27b575a6b9

Edit: Here's a video by norcal715 that guides you through replacing the ICs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8MNQYXw8E0

Edit 2: The repair service mentions only replacing one of the IPMs; occasionally, in their words, both need to be changed. Most will tell you that both should be changed at the same time, so I'd ask about that if you consider their service.
                Last edited by capkid; 08-15-2013, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Yeah the LED on the front of the TV turns on, when it turns on it's green, and when it turns off it's Red. I forgot to mention that I did in fact check all the fuses, they are good. The person who we got this from had messed with the voltage nobs on it, so I figured I couldn't hurt it anymore by doing the same. lol Is there some place that I can find the correct position for all of them?

I wont begrude you that much for hijacking my post martino. Just a little. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Odin8989 View Post
                    I wont begrude you that much for hijacking my post martino. Just a little. :P
                    Haha.....Like I said,merely offered to help you with your tv by offering you with certain measurements from mine,then we got side tracked onto my tv,lol...
                    I will be following this thread with interest but won't mention my tv anymore,lmao...

Comment

lol I don't mind if you keep talking about your TV here it might help me with my problem, you never know what could happen.

Comment

Unfortunately, the positioning is based on measurements with a multimeter. With the TV unplugged, what I would do is adjust each of the knobs to their midway points for now.

To start diagnosing, I would probably disconnect the Y-Sus and Z-Sus from the power supply to see if your power supply (PSU) outputs correct and steady voltages. VS and VA are the important panel output voltages to check on the PSU. Obviously, if your PSU stays on with Y-Sus and Z-Sus disconnected, you'll have to adjust the VS and VA knobs to match the voltages on the label at the top of the panel. Judging by your first picture, you may have some sort of issue related to the panel (not necessarily the panel itself), or you may have a combination of panel and PSU issues.
                        Last edited by capkid; 08-16-2013, 01:29 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by the panel? I followed everything you said but that.

Comment

Panel = plasma display panel = the actual plasma screen.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I unplugged both the Y & Z boards and you can still hear the power supply clicking on....off....on....off. So what should I try next?

Comment

Ok, so it sounds like your PSU has a fault. I just remembered that one of the Toshibas I worked also had a bad PSU; I'm used to these mainly having sustain issues. Tracking down the issue may not be easy on this PSU. So, you can try to fix it on your own, or you can use a repair service like Coppell offers (very reputable company): http://www.ebay.com/itm/APS-219-E135...-/110654425901

Edit: This price is $10 cheaper - they may not have updated their pricing: http://www.coppelltvrepair.com/p/324...repair-service.

Used boards are a little as $35 on eBay. This one is close by in Georgia: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-50HP...item1c355ee5c5

Edit 2: Sorry. You can try scanning the board with a flashlight to see if you can locate a burned component. Personally, I would just buy a used board if this reveals nothing.
                                Last edited by capkid; 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

You have any ideas about where I could start looking for what could be wrong? I'd like to fix it if you have any ideas.

Comment

Yeah I was actually just looking those up a few moments ago. I think that's what I'll end up doing is buying a new one. I hope it fixes it and I can use the TV again. Would the bad PSU make the screen look weird like that as well?

Comment

Like I mentioned previously, you probably have a couple issues. I'd try a cheap PSU replacement in an attempt to stabilize your PSU voltages, then I'd tackle any residual issues.

Edit: I don't have a lot of experience doing standalone voltage tests on the PSU, but you may be able to disconnect all the boards at the PSU and force the power supply on using a resistor from ground on the PSU to a pin on the PSU. I believe it's the RL_ON pin on the CN801 connector. Someone else may have a better idea of how to do that. My thinking here is to eliminate the logic board or main board as potential causes of the clicking issue.

Edit 2: Here's a video by norcal715: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVaC2KVVLvs. If I remember correctly, RL_ON is the equiv. of PS_ON in LG TVs.
                                      Last edited by capkid; 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Alrighty, I'll get the PSU and let you know what happens after that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X