Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LCD Syncmaster 226BW

Hello,

I have a 226BW with the dreaded flickering. I have taken the time to look into this issue and I stumbled across some older posts from this forum indicating that the capacitors need to be replaced. While the older posts did have some good information I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing. There is mention of several variations of the board where some capacitors won't even fit due to size limitations. So as of now I feel very confused on what type of capacitors I will need. I'm looking at replacing the majority of them on the power supply board (I think I'm correct).

I will link in a picture of the sticker on the back, and if needed I could try and take it apart and take pictures of the board.

So if anyone could please assist me in what capacitors I should replace it would be extremely helpful. Thank you!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung LCD Syncmaster 226BW

The very small ones and big filter cap should be ok. (but of course if they look bad then replace them). When you take apart the monitor notice the ratings on the cap (voltage and capacitance (marked with uF)). Also take measurements on the cap (diameter and length) and then when you go to buy some, such as from Digikey or Mouser, match those specifications. Also make sure the caps you replace have a low ESR or resistance and high ripple current rating.

Comment

So as long as I match this uF and size I should be fine? I did look at the digikey website but I really have no idea what I'm looking for. There seems to be all sorts of types with tens of thousands in each category. I know nothing of this type of hardware other than the bit of information you just told me. Would it at all be possible to get some suggestions on the capacitors I would need to purchase?

Comment

We need pictures of the boards and what's written on the capacitors or at least the dimensions before we can suggest anything.

What good would it be to give you a capacitor that's 16mm wide when you only have 10mm of space on the board for that capacitor?

That is, after you actually determine the technical characteristics for that capacitor based on its brand and series code.

Comment

I will upload images later tonight when I take the monitor apart as well as the information for the busted capacitors. I took a look at Mouser.com and I think I understand the measurements being used like the Capacitance (uF) and voltage. Still unsure if I need to know what tolerance and termination style mean. As for a manufacturer it seems Panasonic is used a lot for replacement parts for this monitor.

Comment

I took apart the monitor tonight. Was a bit frustrating to do but I eventually got there. There were 2 possibly 3-4 bad capacitors on the board.

Here is the info for all the capacitors.

1. 330u 25v 10mm x 15mm
            2. 820u 25v 10mm x 20mm
            3. 820u 25v 10mm x 20mm
            4. 680u 25v 10mm x 17mm
            5. 680u 25v 10mm x 17mm
            6. 47u 50v 5mm x 10mm
            7. 150u 450v 20mm X 42mm

On the old forum post I found this list here from someone named Plainbill. His list seems to be identical to mine but his contains item IDs for purchases. Is this list suitable for me?

PlainBill:

C107 47uF 50v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 5mm D x 10mm H EEU-FC1H470
            C110 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H EEU-FM1E821L *
            C111 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H EEU-FM1E821L *
            C112 330uF 25v GL 105 °C C638 VENT 10mm D x 15mm H EEU-FM1E331
            C301 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H EEU-FM1E681
            C302 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H EEU-FM1E681

Edit: I added a screenshot of the Mouser shopping cart, if someone could take a look and see that I'm doing things right. Also I decided to get EEU-FC1E821S instead of the EEU-FM1E821L as its 5 mm shorter.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ronux; 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

No, stick to FM or FR for those 25v rated capacitors. You have the room for those.

FC will work but only just, it's kind of lousy with life rating, something like 2000 hours @ 105c compared to 6000-8000 hours @ 105c

It's unlikely the large 450v capacitor has issues. Save some money or put the difference into getting FM or FR capacitors.

They're 820uF 25v FMis 10x25 mm, but i'm pretty sure they fit without touching the top case. Test it out, if they do, you can always put them on the board horizontally, you have room there. But you have FR which is smaller.

Why 3 pcs of some capacitors in that order?

820uF 25v , first is 20mm tall, next 2 are 10x25

FR 10x20 : http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...Ttf5M3IJgpU%3d

FM : http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...16jrIr2Il7c%3d

KZE : http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/U...3R5Rr%252bA%3d

680uF 25v
              FR 680uF 25v 10x16: http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...7jgDC0Mw8O8%3d

FM 680uF/25v 10x20 : http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...2f7Rt9ZHgBw%3d

KZE 680uF /35v 12.5 x 20 : http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/U...252bZHe0pm0%3d (higher voltage is fine, you have room on board for 12.5mm)

If you already placed the order, then it's ok but your monitor will last long with capacitors with better life rating.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions mariushm. I have not ordered them just yet, I was actually waiting for comments as I was a bit unsure. I have swapped out the 820uF with the FM and the 680uF to the FR based on your recommendations. I'm ordering multiple of each because I actually have 2 additional 226BWs here that are starting to show the same signs.

Comment

Well, get the FR for 820uF 25v then, it's 10x20 so you don't have to worry about having room for them.
                  FM and FR are about the same specs, just different dimensions, depending on uF and V combinations.

Comment

Hello all,

I would just like to thank everyone who assisted me with this problem. This morning I got my capacitor replacements and I went ahead and replaced them. I took my time and it looks like everything went well. I turned it on and it is fully working and brighter then ever.

Comment

I also had a 226BW with bad capacitors, (wouldn't turn on) I used FR/FM caps and it's working beautifully! The picture isn't awful for a TN panel. Sorry I came too late to the thread to tell you exactly which parts I bought.

Comment

Working...
                      X