Fortron FSP300-60ATV repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fortron FSP300-60ATV repair

These pictures are terribly small, I can't see anything in there…
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

R31 the larger resistor is 27 ohms (red,violet, black, gold)

I could not locate R68. On my pc board your arrow points to R62 which is 51 ohms (green,brown,black,gold). Check again and see if the resistor is R68 or R62.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Hi. mr. elerell. thank you very much for helping me to solved a problem regarding the 2 resisters color code which was burn damaged. i have not resolding yet whether my power supply can work or not. Any way 1 wish to said thankfull for your help.

Comment

Can anyone help me with the schematic for FSP300-60ATV? Or at least let me know what the manufacturer part number of Q7 is? Q7 seems to have blown when i connected it to a 230V supply :-(

Comment

Pics or didn't happen.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by shakinsteven View Post
              Can anyone help me with the schematic for FSP300-60ATV? Or at least let me know what the manufacturer part number of Q7 is? Q7 seems to have blown when i connected it to a 230V supply :-(
              Here is a partial schematic
              Attached Files
              Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I have FSP350-60PN which stopped working after long time of no using it at all.

Several condensators were broken. One was totally dead even it wasn't pulled out at all.

There was also one resistor which looked like it had been little too warm, but i think it was R32 not R31. It was 7,9 Ohms and what was left of the colors, we decided it was 15 ohm resistor.

I decided to write this down here even its an old thread if someone someday needs the info

Comment

Ok. I still have two symptoms. PC is running 100 cpu all the time. It could be the operating system, but its quite clean install.

Also i'm having errors occasionally when booting that the vga power cable must be connected even it is.

So.... Was the resistor wrong or is there something else on PSU that is broken?

Comment

Check if voltages are OK under operation, if you have O-scope, than scope it. Graphics may be bad, check it.

As for the CPU load, is it Windows XP?

Comment

Voltages seemd to be ok i guess. Just a little difference. I tried the o-scope, but i have to say that i don't understand anything about what it means.

I will add the pictures if you can say something about those =)

I changed the resistor R32 to 1,5 ohms, but decided about the smell that it is too small =) Voltages got little bit better. 12v was 12,2 and so on.

And the operating system is win 7 64 bit. I think i'll try clean install with win 8 and if it doesn't make any difference, i will buy new psu.

At least it was nice trying =)

(lets see how the pictures appear)

Comment

Just obtained a Power Q ATX-350GU. Looking inside, the pc board was identical to the Fortron FSP300-60ATV. Next, I determined that the fan was stuck.....totally stuck. Pictures show that there is some heat damage, A few bulging capacitors were changed before making the pictures. I decided it would be worthwhile to look at the esr of all of the capacitors to determine what damage a stuck fan does to all of the capacitors, including the ones that "looked" OK. So here is what I found.

C25 Teapo 3300uF/16V Bulging esr=17 12 volt output

C23 Teapo 1000uF/10V Bulging esr>99 5vsb pi input
                        C26 Teapo 1000uF/10V Bulging esr=4.5 5vsb pi output

C29 OST 3300uF/10V not bulging esr=.02 5 volt pi input
                        C28 OST 3300uF/10V not bulging esr=.02 5 volt pi output

C33 Teapo 1000uF/10V bulging esr=8.1 3.3 volt pi input
                        C34 Teapo 2200uF/10V bulging esr=5.6 3.3 volt pi output

C5 Teapo 1uF/50V not bulging esr>99 cap=500nF between driver and main switching transistor
                        C6 Teapo 1 uF/50V not bulging esr>99 cap=625nF between driver and other main switching transistor

C30 Jamicon 220uF/16V not bulging esr=4.6
                        C31 Jamicon 220uF/16V not bulging esr=.64
                        C21 Teapo 1uF/50V not bulging esr=6.1
                        C12 OST 4.7uF/50V not bulging esr=9.6
                        C20 Teapo 22uF/50V not bulging esr=6.7
                        C24 Teapo 10uF/50V not bulging esr=11
                        C22 Teapo 10uF/50V not bulging esr=18
                        C17 Teapo 2.2uF/50V not bulging esr=9.2

As a result of all these "non bulging" small capacitors with high esr, I decided to go ahead and replace ALL of the capacitors on this board. My conclusion: stuck fan plus some obvious heat damage on the pc board means all capacitors probably have high esr.....to high for comfort!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                          As a result of all these "non bulging" small capacitors with high esr, I decided to go ahead and replace ALL of the capacitors on this board.
                          Thanks to this Fortron FSP300-60ATV power supply, I got two "non working" Acer branded PCs with quad core processors for free. After some diagnosis, I discovered both had an obviously bulging capacitor on the 5V standby.

As I mentioned before, I admire the time and effort you take to desolder everything off just to get to the caps. I hate working in the ATX PSU cramped space, but I don't have patience, skill or proper tools to remove the heat sinks, power transistors, etc and then spend all that time (and money) installing 17 new capacitors.

If I had that power supply, one look at 5 bulging capacitors and all that heat damage on the pcb would have been enough for me to send it to the recyclers.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi - Not sure if this is thread jumping - I will start another if required and edit this away
                            I have a Fortron FSP 350-60HLC that was working fine last week and now as members seem to like to say is dead! Came to me in a free PC which I was told occasionally blue screened.
                            Thankfully it looks very little like your recent picture, everell - in fact apart from a bit of dust it looks pristine. As retired caps says I dont think I could have faced one that looked like yours.
                            Anyway as you recently posted I thought I would just slip in and ask for a little ( or maybe a lot) of help. I have replaced caps in power supplies before and maybe I could have saved this before it broke had I put two and two together re the blue screening. As it didnt happen to me and it let me load windows xp and stayed on a fair while uploading a million updates I never gave it a thought.
                            It got put aside while I played with something else. I then actually needed an xp pc that would run a program that wont run in 7 so got it out and
                            was gobsmacked when it wouldnt switch on.
                            So opened it up and sure enough the capxon 2200uf 6.3v caps were all crusty on top ( cant believe it ran at all!) Great - replaced them including the one in a jacket by the heatsink and a couple of 1000uf 16v ones that looked slightly domed.
                            No go !! at least I think not - jumped a green and black connected the fan and a hard drive for a bit of load and -Nothing! ( Might try on a motherboard)
                            Power is good up to the BIG cap and it has 5.12v on one of the 20pin p ins so I guess that is standby only as there is nothing on 5v or 12v output to hard drive socket. So my question is what can I test with a multimeter without having to remove the heatsinks and unsolder the major components.
                            I realise it may come to that but you have to be in the right state of mind to do that sort of thing. It didnt start well in that when I tried to unsolder the wire from the mains switch, before the wire unsoldered the body of the switch melted and the tag and switch contact came away still attached to the wire.
                            Its all good practice as I have a Zalman 600HP which actually looks very similar inside same crap 2200uf 6.3v but sports a row of 5mm!! teapos and has bigger heatsinks and a radiator.
                            Anyway reminder of the question:
                            What can I test with a multimeter without having to remove the heatsinks and unsolder the major components and what order would you test them in.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by selldoor; 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM.
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                              What can I test with a multimeter without having to remove the heatsinks and unsolder the major components and what order would you test them in.
                              From 2 years ago, you helped me with a very similar power supply.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22171
                              Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-14-2014, 12:40 PM.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Haha - I will have a read - lost a few more brain cells since then These power supplies frighten me - monitors you can lay the boards out and get at everything (almost) these things, by the time you have a light in one hand and magnifying glass in the other its hard to get the meter probes anywhere. As for powering them on I stand well back and use an extension cable and switch on from 10 feet away. I feel like a total newbie.

Edit
                                Told you Id lost a few cells - you mean everell helped you. - I was an on looker.
                                Anyway I will study that thread as well.

Thanks
                                Last edited by selldoor; 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM.
                                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                  its hard to get the meter probes anywhere.
                                  Something like these Banana Plug To Test Hook Clip helps. I was lucky enough to get a pair from modemhead.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200979921195

PS. Seller, Franky, above is 100% honest and eevblog member. I have bought from Franky and can vouch for him.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-14-2014, 12:59 PM.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's of GLN origin or OEM design of Fortron Bluestorm II we are dealing with in next thread. Start with replacing ALL the caps in +5 V SB circuitry, incl. probably a 100 uF/16 (25 V) cap in the middle next to the heatsink (use the further position, not so much heat there - there are 2 positions in parallel) and some other small cap on the PWM IC. Also replace the 1N4007 diode on the primary side of the stand-by rail with some super/ultrafast diode as everell suggests.

As for the rest, I can supply you with NCC KZH 1000 uF/16 V D8x20 mm caps, best by far (and one of two) possible replacements for those D8 crapxons.

Comment

selldoor: your power supply is a totally different animal from the one in this thread. I suggest that you add your power supply to this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37356

This thread has the schematics you will need for troubleshooting this power supply. Perhaps behemot and I can help both you and perhanson to get these power supplies running again.

Pay close attention to the two diodes I talked about in this thread. Both should be high speed switching diodes, but in my power supply of the same type, both were slow poke 1N4007 diodes.
                                      Last edited by everell; 08-14-2014, 05:56 PM.

Comment

There are two of the 1N4007? Oh man…

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                                          selldoor: your power supply is a totally different animal from the one in this thread. I suggest that you add your power supply to this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37356
                                          I never saw this thread or I would have gone straight there !!

I will continue on there but may take a while as looking at the pic in post10
                                          set my confidence back again . I will do some tests and then report back
                                          Thanks everyone for the encouragement and input so far

Comment

Working...
                                          X