Zippy PS for Gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zippy PS for Gaming?

Hey Guys, I have a quick question. I am tired of the crap power supplies with very expensive price tags. Is this Zippy power supply good enough for a new gaming machine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

What about the 700 watt version? :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

Id rather pay a bit more and have it actually be of good quality. Any thoughts?

Re: Zippy PS for Gaming?

Sure, this is probably a very good and undoubtedly a powerful PSU.
    If you want to discuss this in detail, i would suggest to checkout

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=14
    and
    http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/

But even here are people who are using Zippy PSU`s.

I personally think that this PSu has some drawbacks.
    First i think the price tag is somehow way beyond any justification.
    Sure, those PSU`s are meant to be sever grade supplies, thus this may be justifiy the price tag.

The efficiency is not something, i would expect from a PSu in that price range.
    The cooling solution is sure form good quality, but IMHO far too noisy for an home and even a gaming system.
    But good for cases with less airflow and where the cooling is needed by any means.
    The there is the price tag, where i personally would rather stick with a Seasonic or Seasonic made Corsair (5 year warranty) for much less then the money you would pay for the Zippy.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=135

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=13

The only drawback those Seasonic PSU would seriously have, is the ADDA fan they are using.
    May be a higher quality Minebea or Pabst fan would not hurt.
    Last edited by gonzo0815; 10-02-2007, 08:07 AM.

Comment

dont know much on the zippy but yeah I agree you could get a decent psu for less money but if money is not an issue.

Yes I agree there too.... one thats not likely to pack it in anytime soon and will deliver the goods you demand of it, not to much to ask for the bucks you spend on a high price tag psu

Just on the Corsair VX550 from the review it appears its Channel Well built CWT

madmat says page 2

Looking at the end of the VX550W I see that it looks scarily familiar. I seem to remember a certain CWT built Tt Toughpower 750W I had that shared the triple toroid choke making a choke sandwich out of a small boxy cap.

Sure enough, it's a CWT. The resemblance to the 750W in question doesn't end there. Inside we find the same green tape, same swagged heat sinks and the same little plastic deflector on the fan

on the VX450W
      Jonny says (page 3)

I'd stick my neck out there and say that this Corsair is actually S12 II based, but I can't confirm that it's an exact replica without taking every component out of it.
      http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=125

I found this in the forums TX650W (soon to be released)

http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3069

heres the HX620W review

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=125

HX520W

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=28

so for Corsair be aware of the 2 possible builds....by the looks of it...
      all reviews very good for both

I guess you really need some Zippy users to put up some comments
      so anyone out there using zippy ?

cheers
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I have the PSL-6700P in my main PC, but I don't think it has the types of connectors you want for a gaming system. And the price is ridiculous on that auction. I got mine for about $60.

Comment

Honestly don't get too hung up on PSUs just buy from a reputable manufacturer with a little more power then you need.

You will find bad caps in many expensive supplies it doesn't matter how much you pay every factory has "bean counters" that try to cut costs left and right.

Geez whats with that price does that supply have a redundant backup?

Good server supplies actually have 2 supplies built in one case so if one fails the other takes over.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I didn't think much on the price considering I paid like $180 AU for the HX620W
            (and yeah with exchange rate go figure how they work that out)

so not quite sure when it comes to US prices

But I find Ebay sellers are pricey here, you can usually find it cheaper online from Australian online computer shops.

When you do find a good price on Ebay here you then find they are stinging you like a bunch of angry hornets for postage.
            it hurts a lot and usually wipes out any Idea of good price.

so id (as above) shop around if thats the case

cheers
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

If you are hell bent upon using a Zippy (like I was), try the Gaming power series. I have the GSM6600P and the test results on JonnyGURU is of my unit. I sent it over and Jon graciously agreed to throw it on the bench to see if the hype was justified. It was. With regulation like that, it was simply fantastic at that point.

But, several other comparable units have come up on the market these days and paying that kind of money is not really justified. In the end, it is up to you. I have a Zeus ST56ZF as a backup, but I think that this unit will last for a very long time.

I bought it as an investment and I'm 100% happy.
              Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
              Zippy GSM-6600P
              Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
              Abit IP35Pro
              ATi HD4870

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a small computer business and I have become really disgusted not so much with the known crappy supplies, but the crappy supplies branded with respected names like Antec and Enermax. I had a customer that wanted a budget machine for email and internet and I put together for her an athlon xp system with 1 gig of ram and an Enermax power supply. After just over a year the machine would not power on. She had just emailed me with how happy she was with the machine and the level of service that she got from me. 1 week later the machine was dead. I was very frustrated. I take pride in selling machines that I feel will last. This machine did not have high power usage. I tested the power supply and it failed. I opened it up and was surprised to see a 10 dollar power supply sitting in an Enermax case. The board layout and capacitor choice looked like a generic supply. I was upset. I have to rebuild her machine because the motherboard was toast as well, and even though the machine is out of warranty I feel that my reputation as a fair person would make it so I couldn't make much of a profit as a result of my poor choice in power supply. The power supply even had stickers that said Enermax Power Inside. Anyways I am now to the point that I will pay what it costs to get a real power supply. I have heard from these forums that Zippy is the best. Where can I order one aside of Ebay. I would rather pay 180 bucks and have the supply not be the first component to go. I am not saying I am going to put a Zippy supply in her machine, I am going with a Fortron. I am going to start to use them for my personal builds.

Comment

Probably most people here do know this kind of problems when selling low end office or budget systems.
                  I used Medion PSU`s OEM`d by FSP and Delta in such cases with no problems (even as they are equiped with Teapo, Ost and Capxon caps).

But i am surprised, that you have had such a bad experience with an Enermax PSu.
                  Personally i have recommended them often during the mid of the socket A era as bullet proofed problem solver (for the demanding 5v & 3.3v powered systems at that time).
                  Later i bought some older ones at ebay, just to have a look under the hood and to fix them.
                  The one with APFC, IMHO an EG365AX-FMA was from good quality and i had no doubts about the OVP OCP circuits.
                  This unit is actually running at my neighbors socket A system (sure, with a bunch of new caps).
                  The Older one, a 425w device w/o any PFC looked like an Dear PSu, but of course whit out any missing component ;-)

That said, it would be interesting to know, which model has caused the burned board.
                  Last edited by gonzo0815; 10-05-2007, 08:18 PM.

Comment

>I opened it up and was surprised to see a 10 dollar power supply

Had you done that a week ago you might be looking a lot better right now. I deal with a lot of used stuff and won't let any power supply go out until I have inspected and replaced all the bad caps. Ignore bad caps and it could go out in a week. If I replace them I can expect at least a year. I just righted a 24 port D-Link switch with two bad caps in it.

>I am now to the point that I will pay what it costs to get a real power supply

Why not speak with the soldering iron instead of the wallet? Keep running off bad caps as fast as they show up and those power supplies won't go out. $180 buys a lot of caps for a $30 Antec.
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

nitwig Id be interested in what specific model that was and photos of the failed unit if you don't mind.

Seems Enemax my not use the best caps but the supplies are usually of some measure of quality
                      (I am not a design engineer so wont attempt to speak on what makes a good supply build wise)

My old Ememax is still chugging alone (it probably really could use a recap) not being what I d call over worked at the moment either.

I have to rebuild her machine because the motherboard was toast as well,
                      This is of great concern if an Enermax KIAed the MB

So yeah I guess what was the MB? too
                      (remembering the chicken and egg thing)

I can understand your actions on wanting to put a decent unit in regardless of if you have to were cost or not, it speaks volumes of your integrity and I am sure you actions will come back ten fold by her work of mouth advertising

I would thought be careful in the way you put it to her, you don't want people getting the impression if it breaks down you'll fix it for nothing too or you will go broke fast.

but yeah I would agree item should do better then a year light duty and an Enermax not living up to that I am a bit shocked (ok yeah the liberty post but that had been given a workout, even thought I think it should have survived that too...caps not up to the task by the looks of it).

this is why I ask what model...my be they are dropping the ball with the builds they are using...and this will cost them dearly in the long run
                      you can only trade on a good reputation for so long and then people will start moving away in droves if your product has turned to crap.

There are some cheaper psus that I believe are of good design..
                      just have crap caps so might be worth getting few as warranty type supplies and recapping them.(new ones I mean and as a just incase measure)

Of course the first step is the right one
                      find a decent psu that doesn't cost the earth that will stay the distance.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X