Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell (Liteon) PS-6311-1DS 2005 power supply.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell (Liteon) PS-6311-1DS 2005 power supply.

Please don't throw rocks I am new to computer power supplies.

This is a working Dell Liteon PS-6311-1DS out of a Dimension 4700 that was working.
    My question is are there common failure caps in this Power Supply that need to be replaced?
    So far I have found a 22 x 50v reading 3 ohms and a 2.2 x 450v reading 5 ohms and cracked solder joints on the GBU808 bridge rectifier.

Thanks for any help
    Ron.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell (Liteon) PS-6311-1DS 2005 power supply.

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
    Please don't throw rocks I am new to computer power supplies.

This is a working Dell Liteon PS-6311-1DS out of a Dimension 4700 that was working.
    My question is are there common failure caps in this Power Supply that need to be replaced?
    So far I have found a 22 x 50v reading 3 ohms and a 2.2 x 450v reading 5 ohms and cracked solder joints on the GBU808 bridge rectifier.

Thanks for any help
    Ron.
    Mainly the OST and Ltec capacitors are likely to go bad.

In general, the caps that are on the secondary side should be replaced, I'm talking about the larger ones, like 1000uF to 4700uF (if there are any that large capacitance wise).

Also, replace all the capacitors in the 5V standby and the capacitors in around the transformers, between those two heatsinks.

I had one of these (or at least it was very similar) with both primary side caps bulging a bit, they were OST, so, go figure... replaced them with american made capacitors
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Ben7 thanks for the help.

How can I track down the 5v standby caps?

Comment

Ben7 thanks for the help.

How can I track down the 5v standby caps?
        just follow the +5V STBY cable line reverse back, you will found it.
        "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
        Rudi
        Thank You

Comment

Thanks senz 90.

I followed the purple wire and it is marked 5VSB on the board.
          There is only one 470 x 10v cap on that line, that I can see. Guess I will replace all the cps on the board I can.

Comment

I recently repaired a Dell\Lite-On PSU, All the OST capacitors were bad except for one and the primaries (and only one of the bad OSTs was slightly bulging!)

The LTecs were still OK but I would replace them anyway. Two Taicons buried near the heatsink were marginal.

One thing to note with Dell PSUs, the older models can use a non-standard pinout on the main power connector. See here for Dell vs normal layout: http://www.smps.us/power-connectors.html - bear this in mind if you want to use a Dell PSU with a normal machine! - you will have to re-wire it.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks senz 90.

I followed the purple wire and it is marked 5VSB on the board.
              There is only one 470 x 10v cap on that line, that I can see. Guess I will replace all the cps on the board I can.
              Yes, that is the right caps, it is common thing 5VSB has 470uF on their line. right step is you could try to replace them all likes agent24 said except primary caps.
              "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
              Rudi
              Thank You

Comment

Agent 24 you are correct.
                I can see two small 2 tan color Taicons on the vertical board between the heat sinks and another hiding in the wire jungle.
                Can I ask how the Ost caps and other power supply caps usually test bad; low value, high esr reading or what?

Comment

Agent 24 you are correct.
                  I can see two small 2 tan color Taicons on the vertical board between the heat sinks and another hiding in the wire jungle.
                  Stroke of luck then! I was talking about a completely different model PSU

Can I ask how the Ost caps and other power supply caps usually test bad; low value, high esr reading or what?
                  The ones in mine were all high ESR, I think one also had severely reduced capacitance.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

I've got a Lite-ON 6301-08A, but it is too different from yours to tell you exactly what caps to change... My unit has all OST RLP series caps. Similarly enough though, I've also got the small 10mm 450V 2.2uF cap near the primaries, but mine is stock UCC KMG series.

What you need to do is make a list of all the caps in the PSU in the following fashion:

Code:
                    1) xx Volts, xx Microfarads, xx Millimeters Width * xx Millimeters Height, Brand, Series
                    Also, can you post of a pic of the PSU label? I'm curious to see the rail ratings on your model. Mine has two +12V rails, one with 10A and the other 13A. Would love to see the ripple on those rails though, because the 12V rail capacitance is some of the weakest I've seen value-wise.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Large capacitors on output side.

1-470 x 25v @ 8 x 20mm Ost RLP
                      1-680 x 16v @ 8 x 20mm UCC KY
                      3-2200 x 6.3 @ 10 x 20mm Ost RLP
                      1-2200 x 16v @ 12 x 20mm Ltec LZP
                      1-3300 x 6.3 @ 10 x 25mm Ost RLP
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the picture of the label. Looks like your revision is newer than mine, namely because it has more powerful 12V rails.

1) 613750
                        2) P12378-ND
                        3) 493-4852-1-ND
                        4) 565-3368-ND
                        5) 1189-1466-ND

Please post the rest of the capacitors. All of them must be changed, except for the two large primary capacitors.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I think this is all of them.
                          On the large output caps why did they use 2200 instead of 3300?

1-2.2 x 50v @ 5 x 12mm Taicon VT
                          1-2.2 x 450v @ 10 x 12.5mm Ltec TY
                          1-4.7 x 50v @ 5 x 11mm Taicon VT
                          1-10 x 50v @ 5 x 11mm Taicon VT
                          4-10 x 50v @ 5 x 11mm Ost RLG
                          1-100 x 25v @ 8 x 11mm Ltec LZV
                          1-120 x 16v @ 6 x 11mm Ost RLP
                          1-470 x 10v @ 8 x 12mm Taicon HG
                          1-470 x 25v @ 8 x 20mm Ost RLP
                          1-470 x 35v @ 10 x20mm Ost RLS
                          1-680 x 16v @ 8 x 20mm UCC KY
                          2-680 x 220v @ 22 x 48mm Elite GM
                          2-1000 x 10v @ 8 x 20mm Ltec LZP
                          1-2200 x 16v @ 12 x 20 Ltec LZP
                          3-2200 x 6.3v @ 10 x 20mm Ost RLP
                          1-3300 x 6.3v @ 10 x 20mm Ost RLP

Comment

Capacitance values in pi filters are based on formulaic calculations. Even if increasing the capacitance were to have any positive effect, the only way to really find out would be to analyze the rail's ripple current under loads and crossloads before and after the modification (In other words, leave it be).

1) 1189-1661-1-ND
                            2) P5873-ND
                            3) 565-1597-ND
                            4) 1189-1883-ND
                            5) 1189-1883-ND
                            6) 493-11847-1-ND
                            7) 493-1520-ND
                            8) 493-1493-ND
                            9) P12389-ND
                            10) P12415-ND
                            11) P12378-ND
                            12) 493-8314-ND
                            13) P12354-ND
                            14) 565-3368-ND
                            15) 493-4852-1-ND
                            16) 1189-1466-ND

Please double-check my links to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. Don't forget to post results.

Comment

Mockingbird thanks for going to the trouble of giving me the capacitors to order.

And thank you to every one that has helped.

Comment

Working...
                              X