Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What maybe causing this Chopper to short ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What maybe causing this Chopper to short ?

You could just change them and see what happens.

But if you want to get into repairing SMPS or anything that uses them, you really should have an ESR meter. There are many designs of basic and cheap ESR meters all over the internet, you should be able to make one easily, just make sure the test frequency is 100kHz.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post

But if you want to get into repairing SMPS or anything that uses them, you really should have an ESR meter. There are many designs of basic and cheap ESR meters all over the internet, you should be able to make one easily, just make sure the test frequency is 100kHz.
      Yes, sometimes the regulation problem on SMPS could be caused by secondary caps or feedback circuit. btw if I am remember correctly, my homemade ESR meter get a help from you agent24 that send me a vector design application
      "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
      Rudi
      Thank You

Comment

I see a lot of designs , but i have hard time finding the analog display .

Originally posted by senz_90 View Post
        Yes, sometimes the regulation problem on SMPS could be caused by secondary caps or feedback circuit. btw if I am remember correctly, my homemade ESR meter get a help from you agent24 that send me a vector design application
        Hi could you send your schematic ? and PCB layout if possible

Comment

I remember some few days ago reading about a method to check ESR using an oscilloscope , i actually have one and i have also an LCR meter that also measures the Dissipation factor , here are some equations for that parameter :

Maybe some one good at maths can help us out

Last edited by SM-Piyes90; 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SM-Piyes90 View Post
            I see a lot of designs , but i have hard time finding the analog display .
            There are many eBay sellers in China with them, but I can't vouch for their quality.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

there are many esr meter design on googling. just try type esr meter on it and many of them are analog one. If you have budget, you could get a decent ESR meter likes Blue ESR Meter, ESR Micro, etc. Since I do this electronics thing just for hobby I don't buy commercial one If you are expert in microcontroller, also there some site share design with LCD panel display if you find hard to read on analog display.

like this
              members.shaw.ca/swstuff/esrmeter.html‎
              ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html‎

Mine is just a copy of them since I'm not expert on electronic and couldn't make a good design, so I just make a little change to suit it with my VOM mA range. btw there are other design on this forum made by budm or tom66. you can try it too.

If you don't mind you could try this
              http://electronics-diy.com/esr-meter...ance-meter.php
              I want really to build this but I couldn't found any supplier on my town has ICL7106/7 IC. If you found this really useful I will try to buy it via Ebay or my brother when he is going abroad. Im really curious for this one . thank you
              Last edited by senz_90; 03-11-2014, 06:43 PM.

Best Regards
              Rudi
              Thank You

Comment

There's quite a few digital ones too, if you can't get an analog meter. There's also this one: http://circuit-zone.com/?electronic_project=484 which uses the multimeter for a display.

Myself, I built Bob Parker's BlueESR meter, it's really nice, but it is rather expensive.
                -David VanHorn

Comment

If you don't mind you could try this
                  http://electronics-diy.com/esr-meter...ance-meter.php
                  I want really to build this but I couldn't found any supplier on my town has ICL7106/7 IC. If you found this really useful I will try to buy it via Ebay or my brother when he is going abroad. Im really curious for this one . thank you
                  You know i actually got 10 of those ICL7106 but i guess they may work instead of 7107

You see the problem is only on the availability of parts , building is easier after testing the circuitry on breadboard

Thanks for this bro , i will add this to my other ANATEK ringer replica.
                  Last edited by SM-Piyes90; 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

That one with ICL7106 looks nice but test frequency is only 60kHz. Datasheets almost always spec their ESR at 100kHz. If you use this meter you will get an inaccurate result.

Either change the design so it's 100kHz or use a different design.
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

That one with ICL7106 looks nice but test frequency is only 60kHz. Datasheets almost always spec their ESR at 100kHz. If you use this meter you will get an inaccurate result.

This design is using a 555 timer as frequency generator , is there a way i can make it give 100 kH by variying some parameter , and would the tester work as expected ?
                      Last edited by SM-Piyes90; 03-11-2014, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I don't recognize the configuration they are using that 555 in, but at a guess if you change C5 value to a little over half, it will probably run at 100kHz. Good idea to test it on a breadboard first, probably.

I don't know if the rest of the circuit will still operate properly, though.
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

You know i actually got 10 of those ICL7106 but i guess they may work instead of 7107

You see the problem is only on the availability of parts , building is easier after testing the circuitry on breadboard

Thanks for this bro , i will add this to my other ANATEK ringer replica.
                          Yes, indeed ICL7106 would work. But I couldn't found anyone sell this ICL7106 or ICL7107 on my town. thank you, please inform if you build it successful. By the way, I am too build ringer replica from anatek . It looks like not a problem since I don't sell it, I am using it for myself to servicing CRT TV and Monitor.

Best Regards
                          Rudi
                          Thank You

Comment

But I couldn't found anyone sell this ICL7106 or ICL7107 on my town
                            You could try eBay - but beware the Chinese sellers, there are many fake parts.
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

What is normal ESR for a 400V 470 uf , i don't see esr values for high voltage ratings on online charts .

If results accuracy is a negligeable then its not a big deal for me .
                              Last edited by SM-Piyes90; 03-14-2014, 05:44 AM.

Comment

What is normal ESR for a 400V 470 uf , i don't see esr values for high voltage ratings on online charts .
                                They don't show ESR in those sheets because it's not a 'Low ESR' capacitor. However, I did measure a couple of 200v 470uF caps the other day and they were 0.06 and 0.08 ohms ESR, and as far as I know, not faulty. So if you measure some and they are significantly higher than that, they may be bad.

If results accuracy is a negligeable then its not a big deal for me .
                                I don't know how much difference it will make. The datasheets almost always specify ESR at 100kHz, and 60kHz is almost half that. It may mean your readings would end up about half (or twice) what they should be, which would be rather useless.
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

You could try eBay - but beware the Chinese sellers, there are many fake parts.
                                  Btw, is there any way to recognise fake parts or items?

Best Regards
                                  Rudi
                                  Thank You

Comment

Nearly none, aside from carefully comparing known originals and the supposed replacements -- but that can be wrong, as manufacturers can change parts over years, and fakes can also look very good!
                                    Just have to buy from honest suppliers who buy direct from manufacturers.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

They don't show ESR in those sheets because it's not a 'Low ESR' capacitor. However, I did measure a couple of 200v 470uF caps the other day and they were 0.06 and 0.08 ohms ESR, and as far as I know, not faulty. So if you measure some and they are significantly higher than that, they may be bad.

I don't know how much difference it will make. The datasheets almost always specify ESR at 100kHz, and 60kHz is almost half that. It may mean your readings would end up about half (or twice) what they should be, which would be rather useless.
                                      oH , that makes a difference then .
                                      So better build a 100 KHz one , i hope i can find one using ICl71xx

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                        Nearly none, aside from carefully comparing known originals and the supposed replacements -- but that can be wrong, as manufacturers can change parts over years, and fakes can also look very good!
                                        Just have to buy from honest suppliers who buy direct from manufacturers.
                                        So it looks like we hope from luckiness, my experience is less on ebay. hahaha

Best Regards
                                        Rudi
                                        Thank You

Comment

Btw, is there any way to recognise fake parts or items?
                                          If it comes from China and they cost half the price of a genuine part, or you can buy ten of them for the price of one genuine one, you're probably looking at a fake\knockoff\other dodgy part.

They don't usually sell outright fake chips (eg: lumps of metal coated in plastic) - too many people would complain and eBay is biased towards the buyer - but they may be clones with lower power ratings, worse specifications, or genuine 2nds that were supposed to be dumped, or used chips cleaned up to look like new, or some other dodgy version.

As always, you get what you pay for.

I do buy some cheap crap from there, like LM1117 regulators, got 20 for $1.50 or something - they seem to work OK but I'm only using them for prototyping etc and not running them at full capacity.
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X