Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paid for wrong boardview for Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid for wrong boardview for Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F)

Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F) that's not powering on, and I want to try to repair it. I'm not a repair professional and while I have learned quite a lot in the past two months when I started to learn and gather equipment, supplies and information, I still have plenty more to explore and much more to learn.

So I was looking for the boardview file for this phone the other day, and I thought found it on another site. I actually had to pay for it. I paid for both the BVR and the BVRE version. Then I found this site, and the same files can be downloaded for free from the sticky thread at the top of this forum section. They are binary identical to what I have.

My issue is not that something is free while the same thing costs a pretty penny at another place. As I said in another post, I view it all as part of my education plan. You win some, you lose some, and you have to spend some to learn and to make it count.

I can't open BVRE so I'm only using the BVR file, and I'm opening it in OpenBoardView. I have two issues with this boardview file. First is that the "boardview" doesn't match the actual board I can view with my own eyes, without assistance from a computer. Second is that the boardview/model doesn't render correctly.

Just how many versions or revisions of SM-G930F are there? I thought there was only one revision per version. I guess I was wrong. I have what apparently is an SM-G930F, it said so in the phone settings and it says so on the inside of the phone. I believe versions are denoted by the letters. I have the "F" version, but I have come across "FD" and others online. But so the "F" version itself has several revisions? What revision is mine then? Where do I find the revision number? Does anyone have any more boardview files for SM-G930F than what's currently available from the sticky thread?

I know ZXW has what I'm looking for. I have seen it. But I'm hoping to be able to only buy what I need. I don't want to pay for a full year subscription to get access to many boardviews, when all I need is a single one. I hope someone has what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by R7027; 12-31-2022, 12:16 PM.

Re: Paid for wrong boardview for Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F)

Just this:
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Alex, but I already have many copies of those files. At the moment, I am actually taking snapshots from the Tshoo (troubleshooting) file and editing and preparing it for my next post here. I will do a comparison between the PCB diagram of the service manual for SM-G930F and the boardview file that I purchased. (That's the same file that's offered free of charge on this site. This forum is very nice like that!)

But maybe someone can offer me the complete service manual for this phone?

I have these files:
      SM-G930F-COVER_1.pdf
      SM-G930F-Direy-6.pdf
      SM-G930F-PSPEC_2.pdf
      SM-G930F_EPLIS_11.pdf
      SM-G930F_EVAPL_3.pdf
      SM-G930F_Tshoo_7.pdf

I can see by reading the "COVER", that this manual consists of following chapters:
      1. Safety Precautions
      2. Specification
      3. Product Function
      4. Exploded View and Parts list
      5. MAIN Electrical Parts List
      6. Level 1 Repair
      7. Level 2 Repair
      8. Level 3 Repair
      9. Reference data

If I connect the dots, I have the following chapters:
      2. Specification: SM-G930F-PSPEC_2
      4. Exploded View and Parts list: SM-G930F_EVAPL_3
      5. MAIN Electrical Parts List: SM-G930F_EPLIS_11
      7. Level 2 Repair: SM-G930F-Direy-6
      8. Level 3 Repair: SM-G930F_Tshoo_7

Does nobody have chapter 1, 3, 6 and 9? I know, I know... those are the boring parts. I mean, like "safety precautions"... who's gonna cry for not having that chapter? I would still like to see it. Above all, I want to see what's in "reference data". It sounds like it could be useful. If anyone has any of these missing chapters, please add them to the collection.

I frankly don't understand the mindset of someone who originally took the time and the risk of leaking the service manual, and didn't bother to make it count and grab the whole cake and run with it. First time leaker maybe? Seeing that other Samsung service manuals for other Galaxy phones are single PDF files, with all the chapters included, it's somewhat upsetting. I don't recall now what service manuals I was viewing, it was some very old model, perhaps even before Galaxy series and before Samsung started making Android phones. Not sure if the chapters were all the same, and if "reference data" chapter was in it, but it was a single PDF file. I would like to see the same for SM-G930F.
      Last edited by R7027; 12-31-2022, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I don't have any more (
        Attached Files

Comment

Boardview not matching the board
          I have pointed out the more obvious deviations. I have used the PCB diagram of the service manual for SM-G930F to compare it to the boardview file.

TOP SIDE: Boardview

TOP SIDE: PCB diagram from service manual

Comments:
          The U3000 is a U4005 on my board.

The U4014 is a U4010 on my board.

The components near the power button FPC connector are arranged differently and come in different quantity. There are 20 components on the boardview, compared to only 5 components on my board. The connector itself is named differently: it's HDC8002 on the boardview, and on my board it's HDC7001 if I look at the service manual for Galaxy S7.

The PMIC comes in the form of a square on the boardview and is labeled U7003. On my board, it's in the form of a rectangle and is labeled U7000.

On the boardview, there are some 12 components at the very edge of the board, next to the FPC connector for the sub-board. There are no components in that location on my board.

BOTTOM SIDE: Boardview

BOTTOM SIDE: PCB diagram from service manual

Comments:
          No comments. You get the idea. The pictures tell the story very well.

(Note: I don't know how to insert the attached images inline on this forum, so I'm hosting them on Imgur. They may disappear from my Imgur account at a later time.)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-31-2022, 03:24 PM. Reason: Added external images to badcaps

Comment

Originally posted by R7027 View Post
            [SIZE="3"]
            (Note: I don't know how to insert the attached images inline on this forum, so I'm hosting them on Imgur. They may disappear from my Imgur account at a later time.)
            Added the images from external image host and sent you a PM.

Don`t know if these schematics are different to the ones already posted,and yes one is titled G935F ,it was all in the same folder for SM-G930F schematics.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-31-2022, 03:27 PM.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
              Don`t know if these are different to the ones already posted,and yes one is titled G935F ,it was all in the same folder for SM-G930F schematics.
              Thank you so much! The schematics are proving useful already. Even though I hardly know how to read it. I did a quick Ctrl+F and found what I was looking for. Now I have to learn to read it and make sense of it. I was actually going to pay another guy to get the schematics. He would probably have given me the very same file or files. So you saved me a pretty penny, and I don't need to leave my credit card information, so that's another big plus. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by R7027 View Post
                Thank you so much! The schematics are proving useful already. Even though I hardly know how to read it. I did a quick Ctrl+F and found what I was looking for. Now I have to learn to read it and make sense of it. I was actually going to pay another guy to get the schematics. He would probably have given me the very same file or files. So you saved me a pretty penny, and I don't need to leave my credit card information, so that's another big plus. Thank you!
                You`re welcome, happy new year
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                  You`re welcome, happy new year
                  Cheers to that! Happy new year!

You know, I really hope to be able to fix my old phone in the new year. With a little bit of luck, a lot of practice and learning, and a little bit of help from others I might get there.

Comment

Boardview not rendering correctly
                    The boardview I got is not only mismatching my SM-G930F board, it's also not rendered correctly. I think some of the deviations I mentioned previously may be due to bad rendering. But certainly not all of it is due to bad rendering. It's fairly evident that this boardview is for a different revision of SM-G930F (assuming it is for SM-G930F at all).

I have prepared another set of images so you can have a look. I used OpenBoardView 9.0.3 to open the BVR file. I compared it to a screenshot of what appears to be the same boardview file, as it was posted on another electronics repair forum (eletronica.br). I can't open the BVRE file, so I can't tell if it would be any different from the BVR file. I suspect that the rendering issue has to do with my software. The guy on the other forum probably used FlexBV to open the same file (or the BVRE file), and for this reason, his boardview is rendered better than mine.

TOP SIDE: My boardview rendering

TOP SIDE: Eletronica screenshot

As you can tell, there are many components on my boardview such as the little capacitors and resistors that appear squashed, or reduced to a small dot. Most prominently, the LED7000 on the front appears imploded whereas the ANT2000 on the bottom side appears exploded. I have not prepared any image for the bottom side of the board. But you can locate ANT2000 in the upper left corner on my previous image, in the previous post (third image from the top).
                    Attached Files

Comment

I think the most disturbing and funny thing about this boardview file is that it has no R7027! That's another way to tell that the model (boardview) doesn't fit with the reality.

If you have the service manual for SM-G930F, one of the first things you're told to do when troubleshooting a power issue is to check the voltage of R7027. Which doesn't exist!?

Now you see it:

Now you don't:

How is that even possible? That makes the boardview incompatible with Samsung's official service manual for SM-G930F. Or do they perhaps have more than one revision of the service manual, one for each SM-G930F board revision? I don't know, but it's an odd thing for sure.

As you may have noticed, I am "R7027". I took on this username for the fun of it. Not because of this boardview. I didn't have the boardview file when I started using this username. So I didn't know at the time that R7027 doesn't exist on the boardview, but it turned out to be a funny thing and a good choice of username.

This is telling you something about the whole boardview scene. As outsiders, we are grateful when given access to any of this data. But accuracy of the information contained within these files is equally important, perhaps even more so than access. So one should take this information with a big pinch of salt. It should be viewed as a bonus, not an absolute truth. I know I wouldn't want to be thrown off course when troubleshooting things if I was running a professional business, only to find out hours, days or weeks later that my data was bad. It makes me sad that it has to be this way. But it is what it is.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by R7027; 01-01-2023, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hello again everyone!

I was doing some unrelated research and I came across what looked like this exact board. I thought I would stop by and share the details.

I am 99.9% sure now that this boardview file is for the Galaxy S7 Edge, and not the regular Galaxy S7.

According to GSM Arena, the S7 Edge comes in four different versions:

SM-G935F: Global
                        SM-G935FD: India and Southeast Asia
                        SM-G9350: Hong Kong
                        SM-G935W8: Canada

The PCB diagrams from the service manual that I posted previously were for the global version, but for the regular S7 and not S7 Edge.

I have now deduced that this boardview file is for the Hong Kong version of the S7 Edge, also known as SM-G9350 (with a zero after "935" at the end instead of letters). The global version is the most common version and it is for this version that the service manual is in circulation on the net.

I don't have a service manual or diagrams for the Hong Kong version. So here are the same type of diagrams from the service manual for the global version of S7 Edge for comparison against the boardview file. I have also attached two pictures of the actual Hong Kong version of the S7 Edge board.

TOP SIDE: Boardview

TOP SIDE: PCB diagram from S7 Edge (SM-G935F) service manual

TOP SIDE: Photo of Hong Kong version of S7 Edge (SM-G9350)

TOP SIDE: One more Hong Kong version of S7 Edge (SM-G9350)

BOTTOM SIDE: Boardview

BOTTOM SIDE: PCB diagram from S7 Edge (SM-G935F) service manual

BOTTOM SIDE: Photo of Hong Kong version of S7 Edge (SM-G9350)

BOTTOM SIDE: One more Hong Kong version of S7 Edge (SM-G9350)

I believe that the global version (F), the India and Southeast Asia version (FD) and the Canadian (W8) version of the phone all share the same board. There may be only minor differences between these three. So in effect, we only have two versions: the Hong Kong version and the global version of S7 Edge. I may be wrong. But I have seen them marked as "SM-G935F/FD/W8_REV08A". Maybe it depends on what revision it is. I have also seen SM-G935K and SM-G935L appear on some listings on AliExpress.

Another way to tell the difference between the global version and the Hong Kong version is that the global version has a rectangular PMIC marked S535. The Hong Kong version has a quadratic PMIC marked MAX77854. Again, this may depend on revision of the board. I have seen PMIC chips by Qualcomm appear on a number of these boards as well.

By the way, the "D" marking in "SM-G935FD" probably means "Dual", as in dual SIM slot. I am not sure though. But it would seem like a logical conclusion, seeing that it's marketed for India. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you can tell the difference between them. These versions are very similar (if not identical).

The takeaway from all of this is that this boardview file is not for the S7 but for the S7 Edge, and it's not for the global version of S7 Edge but for the Honk Kong version of the phone, for which there are no service manuals freely available (assuming one was even made).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X