Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1 - BIOS issue

Hello Masters of BIOS heaven,
    I am kindly asking for your help. I had bricked HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1, after flashing both BIOS chips by files from this site, NTB start working but I am gettin message:Embedded controller data MUD is not valid while MPM is locked. Please unlock MPM, and lock again to capture valid MUD data.
    I am posting 4 files:
    MX25L1673 bricked.bin - original one before flashing
    winbond 25Q128 bricked.bin - original one before flashing

MX25L1673E locked MPM.bin - locked MPM after flash
    winbond 25Q128 locked MPM.bin - locked MPM after flash

Could you help me please to solve this.
    Attached Files

Re: HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1 - BIOS issue

Originally posted by Ninel_CZ View Post
    Hello Masters of BIOS heaven,
    I am kindly asking for your help. I had bricked HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1, after flashing both BIOS chips by files from this site, NTB start working but I am gettin message:Embedded controller data MUD is not valid while MPM is locked. Please unlock MPM, and lock again to capture valid MUD data.
    I am posting 4 files:
    MX25L1673 bricked.bin - original one before flashing
    winbond 25Q128 bricked.bin - original one before flashing

MX25L1673E locked MPM.bin - locked MPM after flash
    winbond 25Q128 locked MPM.bin - locked MPM after flash

Could you help me please to solve this.
    your dumps are not ok, they are larger as they should be, W25Q128 should be 16.777.216 bytes and it is 16.777.984 bytes. MX25L1673E should have 2.097.152 bytes and it has 2.097.216 bytes. What programmer did you use to read contents of chipsets?
    I cut 768 bytes and 64bytes from the end of contents and used RCUnlocker to unlock your bios, give it a try. Don't forget to reset security settings at 1st boot. but use another program to write them, for example ASProgrammer. (i suspect you used program came with CH341A)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by volinakis; 01-13-2023, 03:25 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
    all donations are welcome,
    see the donate button at the bottom of the page, or
    >>>>>
    click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<
    Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Volinakis,
      thank you for fast response. First backup was done by SmartProg2 with original SW.( borrowed one ). Now I have my own RT809F. Which I will use with your files. Only one question, If I catch it right You changed and unlock files which was backuped when NTB wasnt working ( bricked status ). When it was flashed by files from this web, NTB start working but with MPM lock issue. I am going to try it but I am affraid that it will be bricked again with original bricked BIOS file.

Comment

Hi Volinakis,
        thank you for fast response. First backup was done by SmartProg2 with original SW.( borrowed one ). Now I have my own RT809F. Which I will use with your files. Only one question, If I catch it right You changed and unlock files which was backuped when NTB wasnt working ( bricked status ). When it was flashed by files from this web, NTB start working but with MPM lock issue. I am going to try it but I am affraid that it will be bricked again with original bricked BIOS file.
        oh, I think I missed a comma, I misunderstood that you bricked laptop after flashing some bios took from this site. I will try to clean ME from your file but read again chipsets with RT809F
        Last edited by volinakis; 01-13-2023, 04:37 PM.
        Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
        >>>>>

Comment

Hi,
          no I am not bricked it. I got it bricked. I will try to explain better

I was posting 4 files:
          MX25L1673 bricked.bin - backup when it came to me ( bricked status )
          winbond 25Q128 bricked.bin - backup when it came to me ( bricked status )

after this I did flash with this two files:
          MX25L1673E locked MPM.bin - NTB start working but with locked MPM after flash
          winbond 25Q128 locked MPM.bin - NTB start working but with locked MPM after flash

I need to unlock MPM if it is possible to got working BIOS. I am not sure which files you need for this, this was reason why I send all what I have.

Comment

Hi,
            no I am not bricked it. I got it bricked. I will try to explain better

I was posting 4 files:
            MX25L1673 bricked.bin - backup when it came to me ( bricked status )
            winbond 25Q128 bricked.bin - backup when it came to me ( bricked status )

after this I did flash with this two files:
            MX25L1673E locked MPM.bin - NTB start working but with locked MPM after flash
            winbond 25Q128 locked MPM.bin - NTB start working but with locked MPM after flash

I need to unlock MPM if it is possible to got working BIOS. I am not sure which files you need for this, this was reason why I send all what I have.
            Also winbond 25Q128 locked MPM.bin and the other one are larger than it should be. that's why i told you to read again with RT809F chipsets in current state.
            >>>>>

Comment

try these files, i was able to recover some DMI data - your main bios is corrupted due to a failed bios update.
              Attached Files
              >>>>>

Comment

Hi , thank you again for your fast answer.
                In first i forget to write that NTB in bricked statement was without SSD M2 so I put new one to it.
                For testing purpose I use your files from first reply and Voila NTB boots up.
                But there is now new msg on boot screen.
                Warning!! - Machine is not in comitted state!

I was trying to install win10 OS and there is msg
                Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

It looks there is missing some info about SSD in BIOS, what now ?

Comment

Hi , thank you again for your fast answer.
                  In first i forget to write that NTB in bricked statement was without SSD M2 so I put new one to it.
                  For testing purpose I use your files from first reply and Voila NTB boots up.
                  But there is now new msg on boot screen.
                  Warning!! - Machine is not in comitted state!

I was trying to install win10 OS and there is msg
                  Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

It looks there is missing some info about SSD in BIOS, what now ?
                  try files from #7
                  >>>>>

Comment

Hi Volinakis,
                    done, message about Warning disappeared but still I am not able to install OS, the same issue. When I am checking System info I can see that there is info about old original SSD but not about the new one. It could be the issue why its not possible to install OS. How can I change disk params in system info ?
                    P.S. I wrote you PM.

Comment

Hi Volinakis,
                      done, message about Warning disappeared but still I am not able to install OS, the same issue. When I am checking System info I can see that there is info about old original SSD but not about the new one. It could be the issue why its not possible to install OS. How can I change disk params in system info ?
                      P.S. I wrote you PM.
                      load bios defaults and you should try with another ssd. I can't understand how it can be info about a non-existent ssd?
                      >>>>>

Comment

Oh man,
                        this is the same for me too. Its HP mystery. In BIOS system info I can see LITEON SSD even if there is physicaly PATRIOT SSD. More funy is that I was able to install win10 when system was set in UEFI hybrid mode ( with CSM ) but after instalation system wont boot from SSD. Disk isnt visible for BIOS like boot device. I was checking disk and I can see partitions with WIN and UEFI are there. I try everething to push it boot from disk but no glue. HP is

Comment

try this. write it in W25Q128
                          Attached Files
                          >>>>>

Comment

Hi Volinakis,

no glue, NTB is still restarting, not possible to enter BIOS setting. After first start there was some warning about factory reset then it did some data restoration about mother board ser.nr and others, after this its going to find disk and even the disk is OK, its not visible for BIOS.

Comment

Hi Volinakis,

no glue, NTB is still restarting, not possible to enter BIOS setting. After first start there was some warning about factory reset then it did some data restoration about mother board ser.nr and others, after this its going to find disk and even the disk is OK, its not visible for BIOS.
                              Are both drives NVME
                              Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-15-2023, 10:24 AM.
                              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hi SMDFlea,

hard to say, I newer saw the old one but by system info it was LITE ON L8T ssd 256gb, now there is PATRIOT P300 256gb. I was comparing picture of L8T and actual disk, there is difference. LITEON was B&M key but PATRIOT is M key only. Could it be the issue ?
                                I am IT guy more than 20 years and I never so this, how is possible to install OS to disk which is not visible in BIOS but as I wrote only install. For boot its not recognized.
                                Last edited by Ninel_CZ; 01-15-2023, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Hi SMDFlea,

hard to say, I newer saw the old one but by system info it was LITE ON L8T ssd 256gb, now there is PATRIOT P300 256gb. I was comparing picture of L8T and actual disk, there is difference. LITEON was B&M key but PATRIOT is M key only. Could it be the issue ?
                                  I am IT guy more than 20 years and I never so this, how is possible to install OS to disk which is not visible in BIOS but as I wrote only install. For boot its not recognized.
                                  try this, and let me know if you can install windows.
                                  after that, unlock MPM is possible
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi SMDFlea,

lol!
                                    the problem is that 1020 g1 has SATA III M.2 interface for SSD and you are using a Patriot P300 NVMe SSD using PCIe interface. Put a SATA III M.2 SSD and with bios from post #7 problem is solved! I never crossed my mind you are using an incompatible SSD with your laptop, i thought you did verify specs of your laptop to see what interface it has. PCH is a QM77 and it has not PCIe interface.
                                    Last edited by volinakis; 01-15-2023, 03:35 PM.
                                    >>>>>

Comment

Hi,
                                      it sounds like solution, I dont have any M2 SSD on table, I am going to buy one. Will try when it come and then I will write result. Thanks every one for effort and help.
                                      Only one question to understand, how I was able to install OS to NVMe disk if there is no PCIe bus in PCH ?
                                      I wrote about this in #12
                                      Last edited by Ninel_CZ; 01-15-2023, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Hi guys,
                                        new SSD M.2 drive arrived today, after test all is working. Thank you all for effort and big help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X