Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

surface pro 3 teardown. battery failure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surface pro 3 teardown. battery failure.

in the process of replacing the battery.

managed to get the screen off without breaking it.
    used a solder station hot air set at 200 deg
    used a piece of aluminium from the bottom of the takeaway tray and a foot scraper blade that can be bought in most pound shops.

starting with a cold device i heated up the screen slowly and evenly around the edges with the air gun. then concentrated on the area by the speaker, i inserted the foot scraper blade just under the glass, slicing the bonding glue and worked towards the closest edge, applying heat regular.

managed to easily get it to lift and slide between the casing and the glass. applying heat often i the proceeded towards the camera applying ready cut sheets of thin plastic underneath the glass that had come away from the frame to stop it rebonding.

i did a recipe of heat, slice with the foot scraper blade until i met resistance indicating the glue was setting, then followed it by placing the foil and then a sheet of plastic under the glass i had just cut away. inserting a new sheet of plastic as required working my way around the the next edge and bottom edge.

i then returned to the speaker where i started, then worked my way around with the same method towards the bottom corner. the bottom length of the screen i took some extra care with but this turned out to be unwarranted as you can push something in, up against the glass at least 5 mm without touching anything and the glue doesn't go further than this.

i ended up with the screen lifted all the way around and sheets of plastic between it and the casing preventing rebonding. then lifted the glass/screen away from the casing , cutting any glue still holding itself.

i them removed the battery, touch and screen connections. reinserting the screws into the board to not lose the bridge connections.

measured the battery connector and had 0v output.

next i removed the black plastic warp off the top of the battery. to expose the 4 cells. each cell had 2.0v output.

then cut the nickel connections with a blade on each of the batteries. peeled away the batteries one by one bending them in all sorts of nasty scary ways until they were all out.

upon inspection it was clear the battery controller board had suffered some kind of damage. it appeared to be corrosion, green copper sulphate. and some of the smd components had the same. however no water damage ever to the device , the internal and external pristine condition proves this to me. so not sure if it was an electrical short that lead to corrosion or corrosion that lead to failure. the battery count shows 8 cycles.

put it all away in a box and awaiting a new battery.
Working...
X