Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Very strange case,
    Here is the update, I measure 19V on top pad and 3.3V on bottom .
    I need schematic to shee what is going on,
    [/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by murphyai View Post
      it wasn't possible to rip the capacitor off the board and to be honest you will damage a board in most cases doing that.

so i melted it off the board with a soldering gun and then the aluminium plate underneath as well.

i think i haven't soldered the capacitors on correctly.

i will desolder them later and only add 2 x 470uf 2.5 to the board as that is 940

i also received a how to guide from the people who supplied me with the capacitors which i will post now for other users here.

i will let you know later on how the soldering went.

i only have a multimeter as well
      Have you done the test I mentioned earlier?
      If the NEC/TOKIN capacitor is wired the way I suspect it might be, the laptop will not work.
      Last edited by rievax_60; 11-28-2013, 08:45 PM. Reason: add extra

Comment

i proceeded yesterday to install 2x 470uf as a replacement for the oe907 chip.
        now the battery is charging where it wasn't before
        however, when i put the laptop fully back together the screen still isn't showing.
        i used thermal grease instead of thermal pads on the gpu.
        would this be the cause or something else?
        power lights come on and fan and battery charger are showing as working as well.

Comment

i proceeded yesterday to install 2x 470uf as a replacement for the oe907 chip.
          now the battery is charging where it wasn't before
          however, when i put the laptop fully back together the screen still isn't showing.
          i used thermal grease instead of thermal pads on the gpu.
          would this be the cause or something else?
          power lights come on and fan and battery charger are showing as working as well.

i don`t understand why you all use 2x470 you need to pass 1000 and reach atleast 1200
          Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

did not know i had to pass 1000

i'll add another 470uf to the board later on and see how that goes

Comment

does it not have to be 2 capacitors each side?

Comment

?
                Last edited by murphyai; 11-29-2013, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Last edited by murphyai; 11-29-2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

2x330uF one side and 2x330uF other side
                    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                      Good luck man! Always a satisfying feeling when it boots and runs properly straight away

Just remember to check your polarities and check for continuity between the two sides before you fire it up!
                      Can you say more about checking between the two sides? I have been suspecting that the tracks under the outer + strips may not be connected on some mainboards. I have not been able to confirm this.

Comment

i added the third capacitor but no improvement.
                        i'll test the outer + strips with a multimeter later.
                        what reading should i get though usually?
                        if there is no reading, do i connect the 2 + strips by any old wire?
                        Last edited by murphyai; 12-02-2013, 04:51 AM.

Comment

i added the third capacitor but no improvement.
                          i'll test the outer + strips with a multimeter later.
                          what reading should i get though usually?
                          if there is no reading, do i connect the 2 + strips by any old wire?
                          If the reading is open then the strips need to be connected fairly well. Tens of amps flow into the CPU.
                          I dont know exactly what would be enough. I think I would start with 2 resistor lead off cuts, then if the laptop is working, I would measure the voltage drop and have a think about it.

Comment

This photo is from another thread here. Notice that the track area for the bottom most + strip has very few vias in it, not nearly enough to carry the CPU current to the other side.

Comment

that looks different to the pcb board on the acer 6920g when the oe907 chip has been removed.
                              when you say vias what do you mean?

Comment

i've a funny feeling that i should have soldered a trail between the - connectors as there was a aluminium plate under the nec tokin chip that connected the 2.

Comment

Vias are copper lined holes that form connections between tracks on the various PCB layers.

Comment

i've a funny feeling that i should have soldered a trail between the - connectors as there was a aluminium plate under the nec tokin chip that connected the 2.
                                    I would expect that the - strips are connected by copper print.

Comment

I am new to the forum and I appreciate a lot all of the information regarding this issue with these caps.
                                      I found these 220uF caps: TAJB227K004RNJ. Being pack B, it seems to me that 6 of these buggers would fit nicely there. Length 3.5 mm.
                                      Can somebody confirm if this is a good fit and comment on it? Thank you.

Comment

The ESR is too high. http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/332...2303?comp=4002

Comment

thanks for the infos, I have the same auto shutdownd problem when i plug in power adapter ,I have Toshiba satelite L300

Comment

Working...
                                          X