Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Mine started shutting down again after 8 months so this time I replaced with new caps 4x 330uf 2.5v works great except when doing an extended harddrive test in DOS after about 20min it shuts down.(it seems to have some bad sectores but I dont think its the cause.)
    I've changed thermal paste and cleaned CPU fan.
    Even heavy sites CPU reaches 90º+ so I assume it shuts down from the heat.
    I managed to open the laptop once more when it shut down and the caps were too hot to touch , not sure if the vccore is overheating.

Comment

There is a cap under the CPU itself with a rating of 220uf ,I wonder if it's starting to also fail.

Comment

I own a A305-S6843 and this thread is a lifesaver! I just ordered 4 of these caps from digikey and wondered if they would be sufficient for the job?
        http://www.digikey.com.au/product-de...51-1-ND/639136 Im mainly worried about the size and the ESR =/

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
          Mine started shutting down again after 8 months so this time I replaced with new caps 4x 330uf 2.5v works great except when doing an extended harddrive test in DOS after about 20min it shuts down.(it seems to have some bad sectores but I dont think its the cause.)
          I've changed thermal paste and cleaned CPU fan.
          Even heavy sites CPU reaches 90º+ so I assume it shuts down from the heat.
          I managed to open the laptop once more when it shut down and the caps were too hot to touch , not sure if the vccore is overheating.
          How did you repair it 8 months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by freeman300 View Post
            I have the EXACT same problem. Did you get a solution for your ISKAA LA3481P REv 2A?
            This is the model that NOT have the NEC TOKIN.I got 15 small and one even smaller.

I have a PSAE4E-039018N5
            This is a long shot. Try “De-Aging” the ceramic capacitors. http://www.johansondielectrics.com/t...de-simple.html

Comment

The first repair was when I removed the NEC Tokin chip and replaced it with 4x 330 tantalum caps.

Comment

Is there a polarity for this kind of cap?

Comment

Originally posted by dainzel View Post
                  Is there a polarity for this kind of cap?
                  Tantalum capacitors are usually polarized.
                  Ceramic capacitors do not have polarity.

Comment

it seems like in everyones picture their 330uf capacitors are bigger
                    i just recieved my capacitors from digi-key to do the repair..they are very small
                    0.287" L x 0.169" W (7.30mm x 4.30mm) .... is that what size im supposed to get? will they reach from track to track?

Comment

Thanks a lot rievax!

Comment

Originally posted by ryn404 View Post
                        it seems like in everyones picture their 330uf capacitors are bigger
                        i just recieved my capacitors from digi-key to do the repair..they are very small
                        0.287" L x 0.169" W (7.30mm x 4.30mm) .... is that what size im supposed to get? will they reach from track to track?
                        It seems that you might be misinterpreting the pad layout. There is only 5mm of solderable space without having to scrape off the green solder resist.
                        Have a look at the photos in post 105 in this thread.
                        If you have to mount the caps at a slant, check for shorts before power up.

Comment

hello to all,

I plan on replacing my OE128 capacitor, with 4 330uf, 2.5v tantalum capacitors.

could someone please provide me with a webstore/webshop which sells tantalum capacitors, and offers normal priced shipping?

Comment

Originally posted by branko View Post
                            could someone please provide me with a webstore/webshop which sells tantalum capacitors, and offers normal priced shipping?
                            You could try RS Stock No. 147-639 or 147-651 from:
                            http://www.rs-components.com/full.html
                            http://hr.rsdelivers.com/catalogue/s...20&Family=7959

I had replaced OE128 with a new OE128 in my A200 which worked perfectly for 7 months and has just started the restart problem again. Actually I was not expecting it to last that long anyway and had already kept tantalum caps ready. However the tantalum caps that I have (548-3337) are of a significantly higher ESR than OE128 and hence may not work, in which case I will go for one of the two mentioned above. What I had done earlier is shown here:
                            http://gs138.photobucket.com/groups/q251/S1BXDWUERU/

Comment

Please help to the master technicians ...
                              I have the L300 when in direct charge off but if the normal battery life, then I replace the NEC / Tokin 907 with 4 x 470 UF could turn normal but only briefly, can anybody help me

thank's

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
                                It is really difficult to answer questions when the information provided is incomplete. Which Proadlizer (OE907, OE128, etc) are you trying to replace? What is the ESR (and other specs) of the caps you are trying to buy?

It is important to remember that the total ESR of caps connected in parallel is given by:
                                (1/ESRtotal) = (1/ESRcap1) + (1/ESRcap2) +…………..
                                If all caps have the same ESR then:
                                ESRtotal = (ESR of an individual cap/total number of caps)
                                The rated ESR of OE907 is 1.5 mOhm and that of OE128 is 2 mOhm so the total ESR of all the caps (calculated as above) should be close to those values ( http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Capacitors_and_ESR ) though a higher value might still work. People here have sometimes reported that X number of caps did not work but X+1 worked. If only they knew the ESR of their caps we could have got some idea of the maximum ESR value caps that are most likely to work (assuming ESR was the main factor in their caps working or not working). Therefore, for the present, choosing suitable caps still seems to involve some trial and error process. Additionally, one may have to consider other specs of the caps as well.

People here are against using exact replacement because of the expected short life of Proadlizers. However, my exact replacement (i.e., OE128) has worked perfectly for over two months and seems to be still going strong despite the core temperatures often reaching up to 80 degC. The temperatures might go up further during peak summer. I will immediately report here if and when the replaced OE128 fails.
                                I think that this is the reason why my computer is overheating when reaching over 95º and shutting down.
                                I have 4x caps 330 2.5 ESR 7 which gives a value of 1.7 mOhm instead of the original caps 1.5 mOhm.
                                I will try to add another cap to reduce the total to 1.4m and see if my problem stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
                                  You could try RS Stock No. 147-639 or 147-651 from:
                                  http://www.rs-components.com/full.html
                                  http://hr.rsdelivers.com/catalogue/s...20&Family=7959

I had replaced OE128 with a new OE128 in my A200 which worked perfectly for 7 months and has just started the restart problem again. Actually I was not expecting it to last that long anyway and had already kept tantalum caps ready. However the tantalum caps that I have (548-3337) are of a significantly higher ESR than OE128 and hence may not work, in which case I will go for one of the two mentioned above. What I had done earlier is shown here:
                                  http://gs138.photobucket.com/groups/q251/S1BXDWUERU/

Wow! thanks . The other company that i contacted via email wanted $120 (US) just to ship 4 capacitors to Croatia.

I plan on giving the people at RS a call today. I checked out your photobucket pics and noticed under pic#7 that you think that the T520 SMT polymer cap, caseV, 2.5V 330uF would be a good choice. I plan on ordering those and trying them out, will post the results when i get the job done.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by branko View Post
                                    T520 SMT polymer cap, caseV, 2.5V 330uF would be a good choice.
                                    That is the same as 147-639 mentioned above.147-651 also has similar specs except it is 470uF and it has successfully been used by happykiwi ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/pa...70_35_100.html ). Thus their total ESR of 2.25 mOhm has worked fine in replacing OE128 of 2 mOhm. My experiment of trying 548-3337 with a total ESR of 11.25 mOhm has failed as I get instantaneous restart, as expected. I have now ordered 737-2832, which has a failure rate of 1% in 1000h at 85C (could not find this data for Kemet ones recommended above).

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
                                      I will try to add another cap to reduce the total to 1.4m and see if my problem stops.
                                      There is no harm in trying to add another cap but 1.7 mOhm is such a marginal increase from 1.5 mOhm that I would have expected it to work. Next time try to also use a multimeter and check that the cap terminals are shorting well (almost zero resistance) with the respective pads after soldering and there is no shorting between the positive and the negative pads.

My OE128 that worked perfectly for nearly 8 months without any trouble was obviously making a good contact with the pads. However, it simply came off when I touched it as if it was just sitting there without any bonding. Although I had tack soldered it at 8 locations, just one each at a positive and a negative pad would have been sufficient for it to work. I checked the resistance between the pads when nothing was connected fom the top and got zero resistance between the two positive pads and between the two negative pads implying that they are internally connected. Also, I did not find the positive and the negative pads open and got around 5 Ohm resistance between them suggesting that some component is internally attached between them, which is probably not surprising.

Comment

I must add here that the reason for my going for 737-2832 is that it is cheaper and has an ESR of 6 mOhm giving a total of only 1.5 mOhm when four are connected in parallel. My suspision is that it has a higher failure rate than the recommended Kemet ones but I have nothing to back my suspicion as it is purely speculative at this stage. Nevertheless, I vaguely remember reading Kemet spec sheet where the failure rate column was filled as "not applicable" or something similar, whatever that may mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Awfa View Post
                                          I have the L300 when in direct charge off but if the normal battery life, then I replace the NEC / Tokin 907 with 4 x 470 UF could turn normal but only briefly, can anybody help me
                                          If you can explain your problem better someone here might be able to help you. Are you saying that you replaced 907 with four 470uF caps but it only works briefly before restarting? How briefly? What are the full specs of 470uF caps?

Comment

Working...
                                          X