Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Zenbook ux31a component identification

Hello all!

I am new here but have followed this forum for some time now. This is my first post and i was wondering if someone could help me identify the components i marked out! This is all about a Asus Zenbook ux31a bought defective. It starts up without any screen. I also attach the schematic file to this mainboard. Unfortunately i do not have the "board view" file. Is it possible to identify those marked components without the boardview? I sure cant =)

I also see that pin 10+11 on the LVDS connector have been shorted, dont know how that happened. It has been very hot there and the plastic have melted and the pins collapsed at pin 11-10 on the screen connector side. Both of those goes to "AC_BAT_SYS on the mainboard side says the schematic. Could it be the screen inverter that have caused this? I guess it relates somehow to the components at the picture.

I have tried to read the schematics but it is mostly confusing and gets me nowhere as i still am to new at this higher level of electronics =) I would be really grateful if someone could help me out with the component types and values and where to find them on the schematic. PS Sorry about my English, im from Sweden =)

Thanks!

\\Crawlah
    Attached Files

Re: Asus Zenbook ux31a component identification

If you can post and a photo from the other side but I don't think you have the right schematic.

Comment

Hi there.

Okay will do that, i will have a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Here are some better pictures on both sides of the mainboard, but damn it was hard to getting decent quality of the pics =) I think the schematic is right for this mobo?
        Attached Files

Comment

It seems to me that the two "capacitors" are l4510 (inductor) and c4522. You can check it to see if you have 19volts at the pads (remove first the capacitor and see if the short is gone).
          For the others I cannot see clearly the markings on the 6pin smd (it looks to me like C365). Can you check to see the voltages (on the six pin smt and the other two smt's you suppose are not working and the small capacitor next to them)?

Comment

Good evening.

Thats some really good info there, thanks for that Atsio! I have removed the cap and the broken inductor as you said and checked some voltage. Seems something is wrong about those components, is also 12V missing? I dont know if that would be present at those places. The 6 pin smd reads "C965H" and the 8 pin "IC" reads "UA DY" but not really sure about thatone its hard to see.

When i order a new L4510, how do i know which one to buy? Inductance value seems to differ bigtime on those? This is a component type i know little about =)
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Crawlah View Post
              Good evening.

Thats some really good info there, thanks for that Atsio! I have removed the cap and the broken inductor as you said and checked some voltage. Seems something is wrong about those components, is also 12V missing? I dont know if that would be present at those places. The 6 pin smd reads "C965H" and the 8 pin "IC" reads "UA DY" but not really sure about thatone its hard to see.

When i order a new L4510, how do i know which one to buy? Inductance value seems to differ bigtime on those? This is a component type i know little about =)
              To justify that the burned component is the inductor, check for continuity with pins 8,9,10,11 of LVDS connector (from the other pad, not the 19V pad).
              Did the short gone after you removed the capacitor?
              Where did you measure 12V? In your attached photo I can only see 19V.
              I cannot see "C695H" in your schematic, not even find a datasheet or any other info when I google it. It seems to me it has to do with the USB ports, probably supply 5v. This is the reason that in the beginning I told you that the schematic doesn't much your board. Check for continuity with usb port pins.
              Last edited by atsio; 04-07-2014, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Yes, i checked continuity from pin 8-11 to the no 19v pad and they are connected so i think you spotted the right component here. There seems to be no short as of now.

No i didnt measure 12v anywhere, my point was maybe it is strange that 12v voltage was missing. But maybe its nothing strange at all with that as i am the newbie here =)

I have also looked for "C965H" with no luck. The only thing that makes me believe the schematic are right is that the model name "UX31A2 Rev 2.0" matches exact. Other than that i have no clue. It sure looks like power supply for the USB port goes to this "C965H" Hmm im not sure i understand how to check the USB port pins, sorry.

Thanks for helping me.

Comment

Check for continuity of C965H pins with USB PORT pins. Also check with power on, if you have 5Volts on any of the pins of the USB PORT (Usually No 1 pin).
                  As for the inductor you need one of 120Ohm impendance at 100Mhz i.e. http://au.element14.com/murata/dlp11...mhz/dp/1515569.
                  Measure the distance of the two pads of the inductor to find the size you are looking for i.e. 0802

Comment

Ok i see, i will check more tonight, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by atsio View Post
                      Check for continuity of C965H pins with USB PORT pins. Also check with power on, if you have 5Volts on any of the pins of the USB PORT (Usually No 1 pin).
                      As for the inductor you need one of 120Ohm impendance at 100Mhz i.e. http://au.element14.com/murata/dlp11...mhz/dp/1515569.
                      Measure the distance of the two pads of the inductor to find the size you are looking for i.e. 0802

Have checked continuity between C965H and USB, dont mind the placement of the numbers they are only used to navigate from =) Came up with this:

Continuity C965H pin 3 and usb 2
                      Continuity C965H pin 6 and usb 3
                      Continuity C965H pin 2 and usb 4

Also measured 5V at USB Pin1 with power on. Are this to any help?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Crawlah View Post
                        Have checked continuity between C965H and USB, dont mind the placement of the numbers they are only used to navigate from =) Came up with this:

Continuity C965H pin 3 and usb 2
                        Continuity C965H pin 6 and usb 3
                        Continuity C965H pin 2 and usb 4

Also measured 5V at USB Pin1 with power on. Are this to any help?
                        The 8-pin smt is U6904, next is L6901 and the six pin is D6902. Do not have to change anything, except usb is not functioning.

Comment

Ok, that sounds like good news then! I think i order the inductor and cap and do a temporary fix to the lvds connector and see what happens from there. I get back later with an update how things ended up!

Big thanks for all the help atsio, i would never have figured this out on my own! I gotta learn how to read those schematics.

Comment

Originally posted by atsio View Post
                            Atsio could you help me out here, i am going to order the components now but I got really confused (again!) here as the burnt inductor L4510 that was seated before looks very different to the one you proposed, also i wonder if the current/voltage rating is to low on thatone considered this is the AC_Bat line which to my head should be rated higher than around 150mA/5Vdc?

Could a 120Ohm/100Mhz ferrite bead which i understand also is a inductor type component like this have been used? http://au.element14.com/taiyo-yuden/...603/dp/1786262

It is a 0603 size i need. Thatone looks more like the original one but i have no idea if thatone is the correct choice!

Thanks!

Comment

It is allright. My link was just a quick search result on google and not a recomendation.

Comment

Ok, thanks again. I can send you the original pics of the mainboard if you wanted them, maybe you can pm me an e-mail adress, i could not upload them here for some reason. They are about 10Mb each in size.

Comment

Hi guys, I need your help in a similar manner.
                                  I bought a ux31a that had a corrupted bios and wouldn't boot or flash so I desoldered the bios chip and soldered in a new one with a working bios. In that process I accidentally desoldered the little condensor (or is it a resistor) right beneath the bios chip (I can't post my own picture because the tiny component is gone from my motherboard, so I hope it's ok if I highlight the component on your pics OP?). Now comes the funny part: I lost the component so I can't tell what it was, can't go to anyone who could measure it for resistance or capacity. I also don't know of it's 01005 or 008004 size. I hope it's in the schematic postet above, but I can't make sense of that. Please somebody help me in finding out exactly what that component is so I can solder in a new one.
                                  Or maybe OP can measure the resistance or capacity of your component (depending on what it is) and tell me what size?

Thank you very much guys!
                                  Attached Files

Comment

That is C2802 0.1UF/6.3V and from the photo must be 0402

Comment

Wow thank you for the quick reply ! Are you sure its 0402 (metric for 01005 i guess?) though? I can't really tell from all the pictures I've seen of 01005 and 008004 smds which one it is..(doesn't it specify in the schematics maybe? I can't make anything of them...newbie)

Oh and can you also maybe sort of tell me what it actually does? It seems to be part of the flashing mechanism of the bios chip?
                                      Last edited by daegon; 07-10-2015, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I think it's a decoupling capacitor. It shouldn't make any difference if you didn't solder one. From the picture I am 95% on a 0402 size.

Comment

Working...
                                        X