Dell XPS 9550 LA-C36 Won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell XPS 9550 LA-C36 Won't start

Ok, please forgive me if I'm missing troubleshooting steps, it's been a while since I looked at a laptop and this is a lot more complicated than the last one I looked at.

Got this as faulty, fault was described as a blinking power light.

It initially didn't do anything other than as described, found the 95829 had a number of bridged pins (maybe as a toubleshooting step?) So cleared those and this is the current status:

Plugging in, battery charges and holds a charge
    Battery indicator is responsive and functional
    D + power runs the display test and fans spin full speed
    Power button press lights power LED for 0.5 to 4 seconds, this doesn't seem consistant. Sometimes keyboard backlight comes on and turns off when power indicator goes out. Fans never spin when trying to power on normally.
    Front LED never shows error codes but does indicate charging.
    Esc + Ctrl + AC plug results again in same behaviour as pressing power button

I have looked at inductors around the board and seem to have 1v, 5v, 3.3v, 13v and 19v around the board when hitting the power button EXCEPT for the GPU inductors. The mosfets connected to these have 10v on what I'd assume is the gate and next to nothing on all other pins. I'm not sure if the dGPU would instantly be active though on boot, maybe the iGPU would take priority?

Someone has definitely worked on the board, the ICs in the pictures were CAKED in thick flux, this is after a cleanup. You can see the bridges on that IC too.

From here I'm not sure where to go. The CMOS battery has been removed to rule that out, though it did only read 1.8v when removed, I assume it needs replacing, would that prevent boot? I suspect something more sinister here anyway.

If anyone could advise what to look at first it'd be appreciated!

I've also attached the schematic if that helps (helps me keep everything in one place at least)
    Attached Files

Were the schematics removed? Pretty sure I got them in another thread here..

Comment

• SMDFlea
      SMDFlea commented
      Editing a comment
      Reminder: rules and organization of this section - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...f-this-section

Quote: If you request/offer BIOS/schematics/boardviews, please post in the appropriate subsection, and you can link to it in the troubleshooting topic.

Sorry, I'd seen other threads like this with schematics attached so assumed. Been a year or more since I reviewed the rules!

Doesn't seem I can update the main post now so here's the link:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...ematics-needed

Comment

Working...
    X