Lenovo X240 no POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo X240 no POST

I have a Lenovo X240 that doesn't POST. I know nothing about the history of the machine - as far as I know it was donated to the charity I work with in a 'Not working' state. It has the NM-A091 Rev. 1.0 motherboard.

It turns on (and off) in response to the power button, but there is no POST and no screen backlight. The three LEDs in the keyboard light and go off, the fan spins briefly and the CPU warms up (but nothing gets unusually hot). All the internal power supply voltages check out perfectly, but it just sits doing nothing until finally, after around two minutes, it turns itself off again.

It doesn't appear to be a memory issue - I've tried different known-good RAM modules and with no RAM at all I get an error beep code, as expected.

I thought it was probably a BIOS corruption, but there are several different X240 BIOS files present on this website and I've tried pretty much all of them. They all behave exactly the same as the one that was on the system originally (although one seemed to make it turn off after one minute rather than two). I have attached a copy of the original BIOS to this post just in case.

I'm stuck at this point; Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the next steps might be?
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-19-2023, 05:16 AM. Reason: Bios removed,this isn`t the bios requests forum

Re: Lenovo X240 no POST

Did you really check whether the P.O.S.T. is performed (with the original dump of course)? With the CapsLock test for example or a USB-flash drive with LED-Indicator?
    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Re: Lenovo X240 no POST

I think so - I checked that after the initial flash the illuminated Function key does nothing when you press it. There is no USB activity either.

I have also just realised that the power switch does not illuminate, and I think that normally it probably should.

Comment

Working...
      X